Sleep Disorders Community
Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Help

I have been taking ambien for over 5 years and I can't stop taking it. It really helps me sleep each night so I don't want to stop. I just don't want this to damage my memory or any other part of my body long-term. Any suggestions to try to get me to stop taking it?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Ambien is only meant to be used for short term use which often results in worsening of insomnia (sometimes worse than it ever was) when trying to come off the medication. Either way to most of the sedatives (sleeping tablets), people develop tolerance, that is they stop working very effectively with time. So, try to develop good sleep hygiene. Sleep and get up at the same time every day, avoid smoking, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages and exercise regularly. Please discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
is is long term harmful