Sleep Disorders Community
Hypoxic brain injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hypoxic brain injury

Hi, I have a 2 1/2 year old son with severe brain damage following a hypoxic injury when he was almost 5 months old.  He has been for numerous tests, treatments etc in the beginning and was on more anti-seizure medications than I could care to remember.  He suffered frequent aspiration pneumonias and was finally fitted with a feeding button.  He has been weaned of most of his anti-seizures meds (apart from one) and has been out of hospitals for a year now.  We care for him at home.  He gets PT but despite our best efforts, still hasn't regained head control.  Apart from some movement in his arms, he is mostly paralised.  He is extremely floppy and has spinal deformities already.  Anyway, long story short... He is a social kid and laughs and babbles in baby language and smiles often.  He is however very moody and moans and complains about something most of the time.  He also hardly sleeps.  Any advice (drug therapies for sleeping is currently only Chloral Hydrate which occasionally works) will be appreciated.  Sleep is a problem as well as his irratibility.
Any medication cannot be prescribed or suggested without a detailed clinical examination and work up of your son.
With the problems you are describing it would be best to get a pediatrician opinion and rule out any genetic or congenital disorders.
Also follow up with his doctors regularly and continue medication as prescribed by them.
He needs to be seen by a specialist periodically and also care at home as advised by the doctors or specialists.
Could you explain the hypoxic brain injury you mention he had at 5 months of age?
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Hi,  Thank you for replying.  He had a full genetic and congenital disorder work up and is currently only on Sodium Valproate as anti-convulsant.  He suffered a lack of oxygen during a surgical procedure to correct a hernia and all these test above where requested and done as part of a civil lawsuite.  He does see a Paediatric neurologist on a six monthly basis (basically for convulsion medication check ups, liver function tests etc.)  He is also treated weekly by a neurophysio an OT and Speech therapist (mostly for the tone of his face and mouth).  I am merely looking for a suggestion apart from what we have tried with very little success to take to his Paediatric Neurologist for her opinion and to try the medicine.   I am at my wits end and that is why I have asked for fresh opinions.
Thanks, I would very much appreciate any suggestions.