Sleep Disorders Community
I don't wake up to anything.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I don't wake up to anything.

I cannot wake up to my 10 alarms, setting them at different intervals (every minute, every two minutes, ect.), trying different alarm sounds, and I am out of ideas. I am a 22 year old female with a healthy weight and in good health.

This started very mildly at about age 14 where I wouldn't wake up to my alarm and my mom would have to wake me up and I would have conversations with her in my sleep and this got progressively worse. I almost slept through a house fire that happened next door 2 years ago (if my partner had not woken me up), and sleep through floor sanders, people moving furniture out of the room, very loud noises.

When I do wake up, I feel very tired and never really feel awake. I have slept 36 hours straight, and if I sleep through my alarms, I will sleep for 12+ hours. I have classes from 11:45am - 7:30pm on Tuesday and Thursday, and work from 1:45pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Monday. I typically go to bed around 2-3 a.m. and wake up an hour before class or work.

I went to a sleep clinic and filled out a 2 week sleep diary and without any testing they diagnosed me with DSPD, suggesting that I take melatonin at 10pm and basically did not listen to the problems I am having. I fall asleep fine and have no trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. I realize I don't have the "normal" societal sleep schedule, but I have done it before waking up at 6 a.m. for work and going to bed at 11pm. Even when I have to follow the normal sleep schedule for society, this is still a problem.

I noticed when I took Adderall (adderrall) before I went to bed, I would wake up on time and feel refreshed. So I am now taking 10mg Adderall (adderrall) XR before I go to bed, and this helped A LOT. I would wake up to my first alarm, feeling refreshed like I had a good nights sleep, but this doesn't seem to be helping as much after 3 months of taking it.

Please give me any suggestions or help you can think of because I am frustrated and tired of waking up hours after my alarms go off and seeing that I've turned them all off in my sleep and not remembering it. I hate missing classes and my grades are dropping as a result. Please help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

To begin with check to see if you are getting adequate sleep. Lack of sleep can cause sleepiness. There is no specific number for the sleep requirement. Different age groups need different amounts of sleep, but sleep needs are also based on  individuals. Just like any other characteristics you are born with, the amount of sleep you need to function best may be different for you than for someone who is of the same age and gender. On an average it ranges from 7-9 hrs for an adult.

Next, excessive daytime sleepiness can occur, due to inadequate sleep at night due to sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea. It could also be due to narcolepsy. Adderall (adderrall) is used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. A polysomnogram (sleep test) may help to rule out sleep disorders. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.