Sleep Disorders Community
I see things when I wake up at night, partially when I fall asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hi there,
I'm a 16 year old male, and I'd Just like to share with you what's going on, hopefully to get some answers. So for as long I can remember, I have woken up at night and every night seen things that were not real. As a young boy, I thought I was seeing "ghosts" but as I got older I realized that waking up and imagining my dad waking around was spiritually and physically impossible(he was in bed of course) and I would see things that would be odd. Cats, animals. Saw a wizard once, but was tossing sparkly sand around. Seen people, seen a dancing tiger, see a flying dress. I dream every night. But it terrifys me waking up seeing things. Especially when sometimes it could be a person, animal coming towards me looking mean!! I have NEVER seen anything during the day, nor heard voices. It's all at night(never heard voices at night either) when I wake up I feel awake, I can hear, smell, think I can see fine, feel fine..  And awake, but I still see these things and I know this is bad, but I have started to take "drowsy" Meds to help me not wake up in the night and if I do, I put my covers over my head. Everyone says I'm just dreaming still, but what they don't realize is that I'm very scared when this occurs, I have almost cried before. I get tired during the day, very tired at times. I usually fall asleep in class. But my mom thinks it's just cause I watch a lot of movies so my brain has a lot going on before I go to bed, but I don't think that's it. I try to go to bed late so I don't wake up till AM. I feel like I'm crazy, but I don't have anything wrong during the day. Just night is so scary for me, if there's anything you think i should do it would be amazing.. Should I talk to my doctor? Am I just dreaming still? Am I crazy?!?
Hallucinations occur in the state between waking and sleeping. You may be having hypnopompic hallucinations. Hypnopompia occurs upon waking, and may also be accompanied by sleep paralysis. It may be a direct result of alcohol or drug use, or could be due to insomnia, anxiety, stress or other factors. Try relaxation techniques before bedtime to help the mind shut down. You can also indulge in meditation and yoga.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.