Sleep Disorders Community
I stop breathing in my sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I stop breathing in my sleep

The other night I woke up unable to even gasp for air. It was almost as if my body couldn't figure out how to breathe. As a child I used to go to the bottom of the deep end of the swimming pool and see how long I could sit there before I had to come up for air. The feeling when you are completely out of air after holding your breath and the intense struggle to get that first gasp of air when you can no longer hold your breath... it felt the same in the pool as it did the other night- except for one big difference... there was no surface of the water to climb toward. Also, my heart felt like it was pumping fire, racing and pounding as fast and as hard as it could. It was one of the most terrifying nights of my life, as this happened repeatedly throughout the night. I am now afraid to fall asleep for fear of this happening again. In the past I have woken up to my own very loud and deep gasp for air (my husband, a very deep sleeper, has also woken up from my doing this), but before the other night I just ignored it as though it were simply a bad dream or something. My heart was racing during these episodes as well, just not so painful as the other night. I went to my pcp this morning, and was told that I don't have sleep apnea because I "do not have the body type." He told me that it is probably anxiety. This simply does not seem right to me, and I am wondering if one needs to be overweight in order to have sleep apnea and if something as obscure as not being able to breathe in the middle of the night is a sign of anxiety. Also, I have sinus problems that I am going to have surgery for in the near future, and am wondering if my chronic sinusitis could have something to do with this problem. If so, I will probably consult my ent about this instead of my seemingly clueless pcp. As far as I know I do not snore on a regular basis; however, I have woken up to my own snoring noises in the past. Thank you for any help, as I am somewhat lost here.
Sincerely,
Laura