Sleep Disorders Community
I think I had a nocturnal seizure
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I think I had a nocturnal seizure

Hi.  I'm 23 years old (male) and I don't have a history of reoccurring seizures, though I had one before and after a EEG and a "sleep EEG" (in which I was sleep deprived) was diagnosed normal, I think I just experienced one during my sleep, though I can't be sure.

I remember the last part of my dream, which was me seeing someone fall out of bed having a seizure through their window, and (confirmed by my girlfriend) I yelled out (which is when I woke up).  I don't think I could move, and my arms were sticking up into the air at my elbows, then I think I shook more, at least that's what it felt like.

I had been sleep deprived (less than 5 hours/night) for the last two nights.  And also, normally when I wake up during the middle of the night, I have a slight concept of about what time it would be.   I was sure this time that I had been sleeping for at least 6 hours, but found upon looking at the clock I had been sleeping for less than 2.

Has me kind of freaked out, any help, answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
368886_tn?1278962315
Hello.

It is rare for someone to be aware of surrounding while having a generalized seizure. I am not sure if your lower limbs also had some jerks. if it was only the upper limbs, you probably had a partial seizure. It may have been an abortive seizure, which means the seizure gets aborted before it takes a full blown form.

It is possible that this was a seizure. Please get a fresh EEG done. If the EEG comes back normal, you can relax.

Regards
Blank
Hi, relax! a very bad dream can trigger such episodes when you are stressed mentally. Still you need to see a neurologist for a second opinion and to be sure it is not seizure. Take alprazolam at bed time and drink lot of water. Have a hot shower before going to bed and make a habit to listen soft music at bed time. Keep updating about visit. Bye.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...