Sleep Disorders Community
I'm having problems with my sleep patterns.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

My name is Alex, and I'm 18 years old. I'm having a really hard time waking up in the morning. No matter what time I go to sleep and no matter how many hours of sleep I get, I always feel like I haven't slept at all. And if I don't set an alarm and no one wakes me up I will continue sleeping for what seems like forever. I'm a senior in high school and I have to force myself to wake up just to go to school. And throughout the day I'm exhausted and I can't keep my eyes open during class which is causing me to fall behind. Most people my age are full of energy and run off of only 5 hours of sleep when I can't even function with 8 hours. And sometimes Ill wake up in the morning and start getting ready then go back in my room and go back to sleep having no recolection of doing so when I wake up again. I also have a hard time going to sleep at night. It seems as if I'm exhausted during the day, but as soon as it hits night time I'm wide awake. I need answers. Please help.
Sounds like sleep apnea to me, have your doctor scedule you for a sleep study at least if it is not apnea they can rule it out and go another direction, but I have sleep apnea and that is what it sounds like.
Try to get lots of exposure to sun light and/or bright interior lighting during the day, even early evening hours.  You might also try some over-the-counter melatonin which taken will supplement you body's production of this essential sleep element.  

I have never found much effect from melatonin, but then I've tried it more to help me stay asleep (not dream) rather than put me to sleep.. I go to sleep without much problem/delay.

I'm not a doctor nor more than a minor sufferer from sleep problems, but I don't reading anything in your brief post that suggest apnea to me - do you wake up during the night?  Often?   I general physical and discussion with a primary care doctor may lead to a sleep sturdy, but I'd not go off expecting one would be recommended.  I suspect too they are expensive and insurance companies will likely require a referral from a primary care doctor - I am not an insurance expert either.... just suggesting things to check into.

Wishing you good awake time during the day, that is essential.  
I haven't tried melatonin, so I think I'll give it a try,

I don't usually wake up in the middle of the night, and if I do, I'll go right back to sleep. Staying asleep isn't the issue, it's just I don't feel rejuvenated in the morning like I want to.

I've never really talked to a doctor about it before, but I think I might make an appointment. I talked to my mom about it (because I still live at home) but she keeps saying I'm so tired because I stay up all night on my own terms, but she doesn't understand that even if I were to go to bed at 9 or 10 I would still feel like I haven't slept at all.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
I used to have sleep apnea when I was younger, but it was caused by enlarged tonsils (my doctor told me I had the biggest tonsils he ever seen that weren't caused by an infection) but I had them taken out when I was a sophomore in high school and it rid that problem.

I don't snore at night, and usually that's a sign of having shallow breath when you sleep.

But thank you for your input. It's much appreciated. I'll still bring it up to my doctor.
Good, a discussion with a doctor who is 1) a medical doctor and 2) has hands-on/eye-on contact, is you best shot at finding any physical problem.  

I understand normal sleep has phases and some are more restful than others.  I don't recall the details, but I believe that is something too that a sleep study measures.  I have not idea what is done if the study shows the wrong sleep patterns, but I do recall much evolves around melatonin and exposure to light and dark - for some they need bright light, natural sun light is the best as long as you don't get too much.

Good sleeping,
Not that I recommend medication but for several yeas I have been using ambien, It works for me, but only if something natural does not work, as far as melatonin goes, I never did try it but be careful because Dr. Oz said too many people were taking too much which can be unhealthy, but if it does work at the recommended dose, please let me know......thanks.. ps I am sure you can google or you tube the dr. oz episode... I dont have a link but he also talks about some different vitamins that can help you feel better...and sleep better..