Sleep Disorders Community
I'm not really awake lucid dream???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I'm not really awake lucid dream???

A few months back I suffered a panic attack during my sleep and since then have had a little trouble sleeping. I wouldn't say it's insomnia, but more fear of not sleeping because I'm still getting sleep. My fear is lessening as I try to "let it go" and not fret, however I've noticed that 1-2 nights a week I am experiencing "I'm not really awake lucid dream".  I go to lay down to fall asleep and I SWEAR that I'm not sleeping but instead wide awake fretting that I can't sleep.  But my husband says I'm snoring the whole time.  So, while I think I'm awake and getting frustrated, I'm actually sleeping.  I have read about this on the internet, but I want to know how to stop it. Do I not sleep on my back? I'm sure a lot has to do with my anxiety from frustration but I don't want to be on sleep meds. On those nights I just feel restless. I need help!!!  How do you stop this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Snoring by itself indicates a narrowed air passages, so your symptoms could be due to Obstructive Sleep Apnea. When a person sleeps the airways are usually patent allowing normal passage for air entry. The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. So, this is liable to collapse and cause airway obstruction.

As the air way collapses the lungs do not have air entry leading to deoxygenation (decreased oxygen) of blood and the person wakes up. This period of non entry of air is called ‘Apnea’ and the waking up is called an ‘Arousal’. This keeps alternating and the person may not actually wake up all the time, but these repeated arousals can disturb the sleep architecture and cause fatigue, headaches and daytime sleepiness.

I would advise you to consult a sleep specialist who would assess with first a sleep questionnaire, and then he may ask for a polysomnogram, which is an overnight sleep study as this helps to detect the apneas.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi. I have a similar issue as Nova 18. I sometimes toss and turn all night, thinking I am wide awake and can't sleep. I've even gotten up and taken a sleeping pill but still couldn't fall asleep. When I get up in the morning it really feels like I haven't slept a wink. When I tell my husband that I didn't sleep at all he tells me that I was in fact sound asleep all night. I do not snore and am aparantly very still and calm, sleeping peacefully. When I check the box of sleeping pills none are missing so I couldn't have gotten up to take one. Most nights I sleep just fine, but this happeneds a few times a month. It's very different to a lucid dream and I was wondering if there is a term for this kind of dreaming? Thanks xx
Hey this is crazy? This is happening everywhere with a select amount of people? Or everyone and we are the only ones speaking up? Anyway call me crazy or whatever but I fly in my dreams, I'm being chased, I fight, I even die! I know the people in my dreams but don't know them understand? I even talk about having dreams about whatever I am doing in my dreams while dreaming! This happens a lot! I figure I am really in a deep sleep! But I don't think so...A lot of flying and people places I seem to know but don't! Ok is it past lives? Or some demonic stuff? Or aliens? Or government black ops? Don't laugh and write this off. This stuff is real. Something is going on with all of us or a select amount!  I know I sm a first wave indigo.. But I want to write all this stuff off but something is going on. I dreamed I was being chased they finally caught me and gave me a shot. There's more but when I awoke I went to the mirror and there was a puncture Mark and it was sore!!!! I'm not playing! Is this happening to anyone else here?
I fell asleep on my couch then got up and shut kitchen light off, something spooked me so I went to go back to couch but as walked there very scared I couldn't see then became paralyzed. I grabbed the edge of the table and tried very hard to walk, I then thought I need to remain calm then I slowly fell back on the ground and when I opened my eyes I was still on the couch. Wow very freaky and spooky!! So already afraid I got up again and proceeded to turn lights off again and then it happened again but I was just terrified and ended waking up on the couch again. This time I woke again for real and managed to get in my bed but I was terrified I'd wake on couch again but I didnt I was actually in bed. It was very scary and I didnt trust anything in my mind at this point. First time this ever happened pls someone shed some light on this Thx