Sleep Disorders Community
Insomnia and low blood pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Insomnia and low blood pressure

I am 27 years old and I have had insomnia for about 3 years. I usually get to sleep relatively fast but I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back to sleep. I sleep 3 to 5 hours per night. I first thought it was a psychological problem as I have been depressed  for a long time (from the ages of 16 to 23). My sleeping trouble began afterwards when I started to feel better about myself but I thought it was an heritage from this period, even though today I feel fine (except for the constant fatigue). Anyway, I don't rule out this possibility but last weekend, I took my blood pressure in a fitness club and I discovered that it is 114/58, which apparently is slightly low. I've done some research and apparently low blood pressure and insomnia can be linked. Moreover I have other symptoms that could be due to low blood pressure such as vision problem, shivers, cold hands and feet, hair loss. So I'm thinking going to a doctor but I don't know which specialist to see. Could anyone inform me on this?

Thanks in advance.
I very much doubt that your blood pressure is all that low, or that it creates the symptoms you mention. If you know a good general practitioner I would go to him for a general physical. (By the way, my blood pressure,100/60, is quite low but still not abnormal, or so they tell me).
Thank you for your response.
I am not convinced myself that my insomnia is related to my (supposedly) low blood pressure. You know what it is, insomnia makes you desperate for a remedy and you search every little thing that could be linked to it. Anyway, I intend to explore more about the possible physical causes and will try to get a complete health check up.
Thanks again
I just thought of something. I got a handle on my own insomnia when I started taking Lugol's solution. Because I am deficient in iodine, I take 5 drops of 5% Lugol's (potassium iodide) a week (one drop a day on weekdays). The usual supplement is two to three drops a week. You will find information on the internet that recommends very high dosages. But I think that advice is scary. Iodine is known to aid sleep.