Sleep Disorders Community
Insomnia and pregnant and jerking awake

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Insomnia and pregnant and jerking awake

I've had insomnia for about 8 years now.  I've had sleep meds for that entire 8 year span, except some miraculous 7-8 months where I had no trouble sleeping about four years ago.  I have anxiety and have been keeping it under good control, but the pregnancy has amped it up a little and I've had a few small panic attacks and keep chest pain from general anxiety.  

I am used to taking sleep meds and had resigned myself to it for the rest of my life.  However, my pregnancy has made me change to doxepin for a sleep med.  I tried to go without the first week and it was a living hell.  I slept about 1-2hrs in 48hrs and then begged the MD for something.  This pregnancy was unplanned, partly because of this issue with insomnia and anxiety made me concerned that I should never be pregnant.  But that is now a moot point.

My question is:  can't I be so freaked out by the lack of sleep that I literally have a phobia of insomnia?  I woke at 3am one night this week and couldn't get back to sleep, even with my sleep med.  I promptly started sweating it and stressing out about it, even shed a couple of tears.  

Another question:  How am I going to deal with a newborn waking me at all hours, with my sleep med on board?  I am afraid I will be a tired, anxious mess.  AND I won't be able to work, if I can't sleep due to the baby and then have to get thru a day of work.  

ANY time I dont' get sleep - I get anxiety and sometimes panic attacks.  In fact, if I could guarantee that I would never have sleep problems, I would have very few anxiety issues.  

I can't nap either.  People say, "sleep when the baby sleeps".  Well, I don't have that luxury.  I've probably had one successful nap in about 10 months.  I jerk awake, with what I think are hypnic jerks.  I don't know why I do that on such a consistent basis.  I see other people drifting off or napping and I just want to tear my hair out in jealousy!