Sleep Disorders Community
Insomnia caused by hormonal imbalance or psychological issue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

A year and a half ago I was doing a stressful job and I drank a lot of energy drinks (5hour energy drink three, sometimes even 4 times a day) to keep me going. That was during 3 months, then I abruptly stopped and developed anxiety, insomnia, OCD and eventually depression. For that I went to psychiatrist and he prescribed me an SSRI, known as Paxil. I was on it for almost a year and I stopped taking it 4 months ago.Everything was fine for 2 months, then I went to work on a cruisehip and couldn't fall asleep. Evetually insomnia started to interfere with my daily functioning, i was crabby and tense, and coudn't function properly so i quit that job. first i thought it was due to lack of exposure to sun and confined environment on cruisehip( rooms are very small, no windows, engine is somewhat loud) but my insomnia continued when i went home. now it has been 2 monhts already that i am unable to fall asleep; i took melatonine - it helps falling asleep but i still wake up in the middle of the night. i also tried yesterday with supplement called 5htp, which is used also as a sleep aid, but it gave me very vivid dreams, and i also woke up and couldn't fall asleep. I lost enthusiasm and motivation and feel a little bit depressed, could it be hormonal imbalance? i was thinking of continuing with 5htp, because it makes me feel a bit better, but i am worried about my sleep and if this is right for me anyway, because i've been on SSRI which is serotonine agonist, so I am not sure if i need any more seratonine. My psychiatrist prescribed me wellbutrine, dopamine agonist, for motivation but i am scared to take it since it can cause insomnia which is the problem in the first place. What do you think is the cause of insomnia?

Good news, I can't guarantee anything, but, I went through the exact same thing. I actually overdosed on caffeine. I stopped once the panic attacks started.

Now, you want to go with what doctors say first, and any advice I give you want to check out with a doctor, but, I got some good stuff from research. Melatonin is good for sleep. I just got my herbs yesterday, and because of the time since I have made the teas, boy, they work LOL.

Sorry, I am taking this very seriously, just thinking about the teas......

If you are interested feel free to message me, I can give you the recipe's.

Honestly, I can't give better advice than a doctor, but your story sounds EXACTLY like mine. Caffeine overdose causes extreme anxiety and panic disorder. If this is what is going on with you (I really think it is) there is hope for sure :-)
hey trdofbeingtrd,
I don't suffer from anxiety nor panic attack, I need some motivation and boost actually, my current issue is not being possible to shut my brain down when it's time to sleep, it's not that i am having racing thought or anything, it's just I am having a hard time falling and staying asleep, it's like when i fall asleep, i sleep very light and i usually remember all my dreams and wake up after 4 hrs, sometimes even less...But, you can send me recipe, the more the merrier :) I am willing to try just about anything. Thank You!