Sleep Disorders Community
Is it safe to take Melatonin with Ambien

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

My Dr. has me on Ambien 20mg (I know, high dosage) (we have plans to get me off of it starting next month). It works well enough - I'm out within 15 minutes, and it gives me about 5 hours of sleep + 2 hours of dozing in and out - all in all not very satisfactory, but that is another story.

My question - I have some Melatonin Plus (3mg melatonin, 25mg L-theanine). Is it safe to take this with the ambien, or is that a dangerous combination?
You ask an interesting question.

One problem is you should not be taking both medications. Melatonin alone should reset your cicardian rhythym alone, if that is the problem. I would not take it in combination with anything else. It is a powerful hormone and signaling substance.

Ambien is addictive and the mechanism of action is unclear.

My gut answer is "not a hot idea".  You might want to contact the manufacturer of Ambien for their opinion.

You should try sunlight exposure. The protocols are on the net.