Sleep Disorders Community
Is taking xanex to sleep considered preexisting condition for depressio...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Is taking xanex to sleep considered preexisting condition for depression?

I have been taking xanex to help me sleep at night if I wake up for about 6 years. I tried other meds but they left me groggy.I have  recently had some problems with extreme stress at work. I teach at a very tough school with many behavioral problems and not enough support from the school and school system. I lost my oldest son 4 years ago and have been very emotional lately.I believe the environment at work is making it far worse. I worked at another school for the past 8 years and never had  a problem. I went back to work only a week after my son's death. I am now living in another state as we wanted to be near family. I went to a psychiatrist to discuss my emotional difficulties and she recommended I take off for awhile. She is aware that the school is known for academic and behavioral problems. I have a disability insurance I purchased and hoped  to collect something until I felt ready to go back to work. I am concerned that they will turn me down and say that I have a preexisting condition for depression due to the xanex. I need the disability to pay my overhead. Is this a preexisting condition?