Sleep Disorders Community
It takes me a lot longer to fall asleep at night, why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Since August I have been having to get up at 6:30am for school. I was on an antidepressant a few years back to try to control my headaches but instead I got insomnia. I was prescribed Ambien and created a bed time ritual to train my brain to go to sleep when needed. I shut off my computer, go to the bathroom to feed my cat, then get an ice pack and go to bed. This worked well and I tried to wean myself off the Ambien in hopes of being able to keep the brain training thing going. I have been off Ambien for a few months now but my sleep is crap. I have over the counter Tylenol PM in hopes of trying to sleep but nothing. Once the sun goes down I am fully awake. During the day, however, I fall asleep in less than 5 minutes and it averages about 15 minutes all the way up to an hour depending on how tired I am. So I figure if I watch the shows I was watching when I fell asleep during the day at night, maybe that will help. Nothing. I try to get 8 hours of sleep but I usually end up lying in bed tossing and turning just trying to sleep. My brain is quiet, music is playing in the background, or a show that is my 'nap time' show, but still nothing. Other than going back on Ambien and taking a partial pill every night, I have no idea what else to do. I have tried meditation, I have tried complete silence (that is the worst), I have tried sound makers, rain sounds, low music, low shows, everything I can think of. I don't drink sugar drinks, I don't drink coffee, I don't drink energy drinks. I eat at 6pm every day, I eat breakfast when I get up at 6:30, but within a few hours I'm so tired I am almost falling asleep in class. When I get home and lay down I'm out in a few minutes. No, I do not always nap. Some days I have lab so I am away most of the day and by night time I am tired, until it's bed time and then I am fully awake. Same for when I have to go to work. So the only reprieve I seem to get is that little nap in the middle of the day (no later than 3pm). I shower at about 5:30/6 so it's not close to bed time to wake me up. This is really frustrating and I'm at my wits end. Other than napping all the time and/or getting back on Ambien I have no idea what to do.
It reads like you are on the right track... be very regular and get enough awake time physical activity (mental activity alone is not enough) .

It seems you have to somehow kick the nap, it may be upsetting you internal clock.

There are prescription medications that help one sleep that are not addictive like Abien - I don't' remember the name but can look it up if you get back to me.