Sleep Disorders Community
Loss of family

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Loss of family

A little over 6 months ago, my boyfriend lost his mother and his grandmother in a terrible car accident. Though, he appears fine, he has reoccuring nightmares about the accident, and often has panick attacks during his sleep. Because of his anxiety, it is really hard for him to fall asleep. He also has very severe thoughts of depression, loss of faith in God, and has grown alomost hatred to life. On the outside, he is sweet, caring, funny, and an all around amazing person. BUT, when he sips a little too much alcohol, or is having a bad day, his feelings come up like word vommit. I caught him hitting himself in his sleep last night, and he was crying, but seemed like he was still asleep. He could talk, but had no control over what he was saying or doing. He refuses to go onto medication or to see a doctor. In fact, he often critisizes me over taking my anti-depressant.

Does anyone have any idea how I can help him?
You need to help him get the grief out in his wakeful hours. IT is because he is trying to supress his emotions that he is having sleep disturbances.
It requires patience and a lot of courage to be able to get him to vent his feelings, but it is best done by someone he knows cares for him.
In the long-term this supression could lead to physical symptoms.
He also has the option of taking prescription sedatives for a short duration till he learns to cope with the loss.