Sleep Disorders Community
Making a weird noise as I start to fall asleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Okay, this is really weird to me.  I get what I guess is called hypnic jerks as I'm falling asleep, usually happening several times a night as I try to fall asleep.  However, over the past few months I have noticed that sometimes when falling asleep as well, I hear a weird sound, almost like I'm humming (it sounds like it comes from my throat) but it's not my voice, it's much deeper than my normal voice.  This always wakes me up as well and seems to only occur when I'm just about to fall asleep, like with the jerking.  
This was bothering me so much, that I asked my husband a few times when I woke to this, "did you hear that?" and he always says no.  So now I'm wondering if it's something in my head that is waking me up or something also related to those hypnic jerks?  
Any ideas?  This all started months and months ago when I started on Cymbalta.  I had the jerks before, but they have gotten so much worse since I started on that med.  
The same thing has been happening to me, I will hear and feel a sound in my throat and it jolts me awake. Have you had any explanation or solution?