Sleep Disorders Community
Melatonin Side Effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Melatonin Side Effects

Does anyone know if dry mouth is a side effect of melatonin supplements.  If so how long would this side effect last after discontinuation?
I take melatonin, not nightly, but maybe two or three or four nights a week.  I have tried to read up on side effects and have not found much information at all.  I don't notice any side effects, myself.  

Since melatonin is a short-acting drug, and the therapeutic effects of it do not seem to last long at all, I'm thinking that any side effects would not last longer than a few hours or a day or two -- at most -- after you discontinued using it.  So, if I were you, I would "run the experiment" and see if the dry mouth persisted after stopping melatonin for a few nights.  

Over-the-counter products that are generic and that do not have to undergo FDA testing are hard to get the same kind of side-effect information about that you can find on prescription drugs.
I take melatonin almost nightly for chronic insomnia & have never noticed  dry mouth before. But since this is a substance already in our bodies I wouldn't think that if it is a side effect of taking the supplement that it would last long at all. I would try going without it to see both how long the dryness last & if it goes away. Also since it is not regulated by FDA it could be caused by something else in with the melatonin. Just a thought.