Mind Won't shut down when I try to fall asleep
It seems like my mind is constantly running on a motor. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and a self diagnosed Hypochondriac. a few months back I had a panic attack and it was severe. I basically told myself I had an RIDICULOUSLY rare disease called FFI (Fatal Familal Insomnia). I dismissed that thought but the anxiety seems to be coming back. And its not even that the thoughts are coming back. It's the simple fact that my mind seems to be running at 100mph thinking about different things even while I'm trying to relax. Some of the thoughts scare me (Death etc.) I'm 19 years of age and I am still concerned for my sleeping patterns.. I know I dont have it. I don't have any difficulties getting to bed its just my anxiety propelling me to stay up. Its driving me nuts. Thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
You may have high cortisol. Cortisol is produced by the adrenal glands, as is melatonin. What you might do is try using supplements called adaptogens. At bedtime take 2 gms of melatonin. I also take ashwagandha which normalizes cortisol.

I know about the above because I suffer from it. I am also deficient in iodine (also causing insomnia). I take a supplemental dose of iodine, using Lugol's solution. A small dose of three drops of 5% per week is a big help. (I take one drop on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)..

Insomniacs are not hyprcrondriacs.
Also, panic attacks can be caused by an adrenal malfunction. This also happened to me.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You should not keep thinking about sleeplessness, as this in turn promotes insomnia and it becomes a vicious cycle. You should stop becoming anxious and try to relax. Try to have a warm bath before sleeping. Have a glass of milk or read a book before trying to sleep. Don’t watch TV or do exercise before sleeping. Condition yourself that you can relax and that you can sleep well. Try yoga and meditation they have calming effects. Go for long stress free walks. Also, do exercise in the daytime this promotes good sleep.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.