Sleep Disorders Community
Mind is dreaming but eyes are awake?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Mind is dreaming but eyes are awake?

For the past few years, I have been able to consciously recognize the different stages of sleep that I go through. One stage, for instance, is where my eyes are half open (friends & family have told me that I sleep with half-open eyes), and I see what's around me (the objects in my bedroom, etc), but my mind has already gone into the dream world. This combo of being asleep and awake at the same time sometimes alters the objects that my eyes see. This makes me uncomfortable and the only way to wake up is by vibrating my body till I am conscious. What is this and is it normal?
I don't think it is normal... but are you able to engage your conscious mind when dreaming too?  Look at the subject Lucid Dreaming (Stephen LaBerge - think that's the name has some ideas you may find helpful).
No I don't think so, but after at least 6 hours of sleep, my mind dips into consciousness and through my half-open eyes, the objects around me change.
An example of this would be once where there was a red stool at my bedside, but my eyes saw it as a man with a red shirt. I'm sure this sounds absolutely ridiculous and I myself am puzzled by this. Is this all because I sleep with eyes half-open?

I will look into Lucid Dreaming thanks for the recommendation!