Sleep Disorders Community
Must get into bed in afternoon, HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Must get into bed in afternoon, HELP

I have recently come down with a debilitating health problem. I am looking for help from anyone who can point me in the right direction. I have visited psychologist, psychiatrist, sleep doctors, and my regular physician, and have had no diagnosis. The short version is, I smoked grass for 10 years, everyday user. After deciding to quit 8 months ago, everything was fine for two days then I started a dreadful cycle of poor sleep at night waking up unrefreshed and making it until about 2-3pm before my body begins to get extremely tired, I develop a constricting headache, my memory gets very bad (but it could be from the grass use) and get awful pain in my calfs that feels like pain combined with bubbling of blood running through them. I must, must get into bed and sleep for about an hour when these symptoms hit me in the afternoon. Its as if my day ends in the afternoon. after i awake I am completely drained of energy for the rest of the day. if i fight going to lay/sleep my headache gets worse, my calf pain gets really bad almost like numb and I can barely keep myself upright.  I felt pretty energetic and played basketball everyday when smoking.  I am a male , 29 . in good health. all labs came back normal. I had to quit my job, if anyone can think of what this might be please message me. I'm stuck on things like idiopathic hypersomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, adrenal failure narcolepsy, circadian clock issues. it's not going away :(
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You could be having an entity called delayed phase syndrome, where in the biological clock is reset and occurs late. It is a circadian rhythm disorder. There is a circadian rhythm for all living organisms. It is a 24 hour cycle rhythm and the biological clock within that individual adapts to this rhythm. This can be reset by bright light therapy, sleeping pills and sometimes by sleep debt. In sleep debt, though you happen to sleep late, you condition yourself to get up early; this in turn will help you to sleep early. So, try this, but if your symptoms still persist, I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.