Sleep Disorders Community
My 4 yr.old won't stay asleep!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 4 yr.old won't stay asleep!

My 4 yr.old daughter wakes up every night with something wrong. Our other children are great sleepers & we've always been strict about staying in your own bed & sleeping through the night. My 11 mos.old sleeps all night, why won't my 4 yr.old? The reason changes every night. She's either scared, had a bad dream, she's thirsty, she just wants me & if those don't fly she pulls out the "my legs hurt" & sometimes I swear she wets the bed on purpose. I've been sympathetic with the bed wetting for a few years now, because I used to wet the bed myself as a child, but now I'm starting to feel like she's doing it for attention. The legs hurting is getting really old too. I've been rubbing her legs & giving her Tylenol @ night now forever, but now I feel like she's just saying they hurt for attention when her other attemps fail. I feel so bad not beleiving her. I don't want to keep giving in or inabeling this wakeing behavior, but it has to stop. We have tried charts, rewards with small toys, rewards w/ playdates or special mommy/daddy time, reward tickets that she can earn for extra back scratches or extra bedtime books & of course we have even resorted to punishing when the positive reinforcement won't work, by losing tickets, taking away playdates or toys & so on. I want to be more positive, but I've run out of patience. Is she lying for attention? How do I know? How can I get her to stop NEEDING this negative attention so much? No matter how much I focus on giving her what she needs emotionally it's never good enough. She's been very HARD for me. Help.
Sincerely,
A loving, frustrated, tired Mom