Night Terrors? Seems more like he is possessed!
My mom has been telling me that my dad has been pulling her hair in his sleep and it progressed to punching her in his sleep as well. She said he has punched repeatedly about 3 times this month. Last week she woke up and my dad was hovering over her and staring at her. She is visiting me this weekend we live in different states and my father just called my mom and told her that he woke up last night BITING her pillows. So if my mother would have been there he would have actually bit her!  I dont know what this could be caused by. I personally have sleep paralysis and that is scary but my dad punching and pulling my moms hair in his sleep is just a little strange!

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
I would ask him to see a MD about this, this could be alot of different things, central sleep apnea can make people do strange things in their sleep, this is something going on in the brain. He could just be acting out his dreams, a form of sleep walking.  The MD can set up some test for him to see what is going on while he is sleeping.