Sleep Disorders Community
Night hallucination and numbness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Night hallucination and numbness?

Last night about two hours after I went to sleep I saw these weird electronic spiders that were floating around and dancing in the air above my bed, and then I SWORE there were some crawling around in my bed.  This was terrifiying, and on top of it, my body felt completely numb.  I so badly wanted to swat the spiders out of the way so they would go away, but I could move my arms or kick my feet.  So I just layed in my bed until I slowly regained normal consciousness and the numbness began to wear off so it was was just my arms and legs I couldn't feel.  I laid in my bed in a ball with my numb arms and legs and kept trying to move around to make them have feeling again, and at this point I was not seeing the spiders but I was still scared they could be hiding in my room.  I had something else before this that I can't remember that I remember really freaked me out, but I'm not sure what it was (I think I thought that someone had poisoned me? Or something like that, but the memory of that is very vague...).  I couldn't get back to sleep I couldn't steady my breathing or lower my racing hear rate, so I went to the bathroom, had a glass of water, and went back to bed, still freaked out, but feeling a little more "normal".

It almost felt like I was in between being asleep and awake... Normally in even the most vividly realistic dreams, I have a wake up moment where I realize it was just a dream, but when this happens, I have no distinction of being asleep and being awake.  This has happened to me before for years now (although it has been more condensed to more recent years), and it is almost always some sort of spider I see (I've seen cartoon spiders, the spiderman logo spider running around, the bugs from "hakuna matata" section of the Lion King, giant normal spiders, and this time "mechanical" spiders.  

What makes this time different is that I had that numbness that seemed like it took forever to go away.  Also, this is the first time I have had one of these hallucinations since taking valium (I've been taking it for five months now).  Another random thing:  I hit my head really hard on a wall when I was drinking a few nights ago and have been dealing with ongoing headaches from the back of my head and dizziness... could this have anything to do with it?

I just want to know why this happens and how to make it stop!!  I try to explain it to people and they just think I'm crazy or that I was just dreaming asleep the whole time (I know I was awake at least to some degree, and then fully awake at some point!)

Help me figure this out!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms you are experiencing could be due to an entity called sleep paralysis. When this happens in sleep the person has difficulty moving his hands or feet. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. This sleep disorder is characterized by excessive day time sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnogogic hallucinations and automatic behavior. You will need to consult your primary care physician, who may schedule you for a polysomnogram (sleep test) to rule out sleep disorders and initiate appropriate therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.