Sleep Disorders Community
Nightmares, Get hurt in sleep, Inability to stay asleep, inability to m...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Nightmares, Get hurt in sleep, Inability to stay asleep, inability to move

So every night, if I sleep, I have horrific nightmares.  This wouldn't be so so bad, but I wake up after not too long and am in pain corresponding to the pain in my dream.  For example, I awoke from a dream where my lungs collapsed gasping for air and having a horrible pain in my chest.  Most recently I had a dream that I was paralyzed by demons who were trying to control me.  I woke up several times during the dream, unable to move and unable to fully pull myself out of the dream even though my eyes were awake and I could see my bedroom.  I slipped back into the dream and went through this process at least 3 more times before I woke up for real.  However, when I finally woke up, my whole body was in pain.  My hands, arms, shoulders and back were the worst.  The pain has lasted for several days.  I'm a sleepwalker so i don't know if I fell or what.  But these strange occurrences are common for me.  I've even woken up with a cut on my heel and blood tracked all over my floor.  Several months ago I went without sleep for 8 days, only sleeping for about 20 minutes each night (waking up from a painful nightmare each time).  This was a time of a lot of stress for me, so I don't know if thats what's causing all of my sleep difficulties.  

I don't know what to do to sleep normally.  I do everything right.  I try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day (sometimes I can make this happen but it doesn't ever last more than a few weeks).  I eat healthy and exercise every day.  The only thing that seems to make a noticeable difference is when I sleep next to someone.  Unfortunately that is not allowed at my parents house, where I am all summer! WHAT CAN I DO?  Please help!
You should go see your doctor and get a good physical exam if you haven't already.
From what you describe I would say you are suffering from depression and anxiety. They can both cause the symptoms you are experiencing.  Other illnesses may also cause these symptoms so therefore the physical exam.
If I were you I'd make an appointment to see psychiatrist to explore the reasons for your sleep problems which may very well be caused by stress and your body's response to it.
Let us know how you make out and get well soon.
Thanks for your advice!
I'm a really happy person though, that's the thing.  The only thing I really get anxiety about is my sleep issues.  I do get stressed sometimes but it's nothing dancing, meditation, or yoga doesn't solve for me.  Idk... maybe there's something in my subconscious that hasn't risen to the surface yet.  
I feel like you're right, that I should seek help, but I don't want my parents to know. I could go once I get back to college maybe.  What kind of a doctor would I have to go to?  
Start with a good physical exam.  let the doctor check you out and be sure to explain all the sleep problems and other symptoms you are experiencing.  
Why do you not want to confide in your parents?  They would be the first ones I'd go to if i were you.
This is nothing to be ashamed about and they may very well have a good insight on what's causing this.   People have caused themselves some serious problems while sleep walking so this is not to be taken lightly.   This can severely impact your life if left untreated or not diagnosed early.
It is very commom for people who have depression and anxiety to deny being depressed or anxious.  You may very well be experiencing the symptoms of this illness thru your sleep problems, but you won't know for sure until you get check out.
Don't put it off... your symptoms may get worse.
I just don't want to worry them.  They know I sleepwalk, because I've been doing that since I was really little, but thats it.  I'm not too worried about getting hurt sleepwalking though.  I'm super-functional when I'm sleepwalking, and people generally can't even tell I'm not awake. In any case, I doubt I'll stop since I've always done it.  Other than that, I'm looking into some more stress relief methods right now and if that doesn't help my other issues I'll definitely go get it checked out.  I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.