Sleep Disorders Community
PLMD treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

PLMD treatment

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with PLMD with no RLS. The doctor put me on mirapex. She told me it would make me very sleepy and help to control the jerking and twitching at night to allow me to get better sleep. I spent most of my sleep time in phase 2 sleep with very little time in REM.

My question is about the mirapex. Have any of you ever had issues falling asleep while on the mirapex? I find that once I do get to sleep it helps me stay asleep better. But for some reason the mirapex gives me anxiety and makes it harder for me to get to sleep. I spend up to 2 hours just trying to fall asleep. I even tried adding over the counter sleeping pills with it but still find it difficult to get to sleep.

I go to my doctor today about this but I'm afraid she won't take it seriously because this medication is supposed to make me very tired. I wanted to make sure someone else had this experience before I brought it forward to her.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Insomnia or sleeplessness is one of the side effects of mirapex. Discuss your symptoms with your consulting doctor he may change the dose or the medications.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
is this a benza drug?  I read that benza medications can disrupt sleep architecture and lower stage 3/4 sleep.  I am getting 0% stage 3/4 on my sleep studies
ill, no it's not a benzo. That would be like xanax. It's a dopamine antagonist. It's said that people with PLMD lack dopamine like people with parkinsons.

Thank you paderla Anitha for responding. Unfortunately my doctor didn't take me seriously. She refused me a sleeping pill and said I needed to stay on the mirapex  and take benadryl. Which I already do. I'm not sure what to do at this point. She also said my heart rate is too high and I have to see a cardiologist before she will treat me any further. This is getting expensive and frustrating.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But instead of sleep aids, you could try good sleep hygiene measures to promote good sleep. This can help overcome the insomnia due to the medications. You should stop becoming anxious and try to relax. Try to have a warm bath before sleeping. Have a glass of milk or read a book before trying to sleep. Don’t watch TV or do exercise before sleeping. Condition yourself that you can relax and that you can sleep well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I hope you're still on this forum. I have the same PLMD While Awake with no RLS. I take 8mg. extended release Ropinorole, that seems to help control the leg kicks so I can fall asleep.