Sleep Disorders Community
Paralyzed while sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Paralyzed while sleeping

Since I was a child, and until now (27years old) about once every three months or maybe more, I will have a frightening experience while sleeping.  Once I'm asleep, sometimes it feels like my head will get really heavy and there will be a deep low humming sound in my head or maybe a train sound that seems to paralyze my entire body, however once this feeling of heaviness occurs, I wake up internally, but my eyes are not open and I can hear everything going on around me.  At that point I seem to be conscious but unable to open my eyes or even move.  I then have to force myself fully awake by jerking my entire body.  And then, if I happen to fall right back to sleep, I will go into the exact same state again and jerk myself awake once again.  It is quite starling and frightning.  It kinda reminds me of what being in a coma might feel like.  Can anyone tell me what this is and is it possible not to be able to wake up from it, what ever "it" is?

Thanks,

Mandy4183
Viewing 1-200 comments:
They say it's just your mind waking up before your body. It's hereditary. There is a name for it, but I always forget what its called. If you ask Sylvia Brown the psychic, she says its your spirit walking around and hasn't come back to your body yet. Either way, just relax when its happening, your body will wake up, it just takes an extra minute.
This is so weird, my older sister and I both have this, and have never heard of anyone else, it is so terifying. I do not get it as much now (knock on wood) but that is probably because I have kids and dont really get sleep anymore. I will be checking back to see if anyone else has any explanations. One time I could hear my dad yelling at me to wake up it was time for evening church and could not move at all, I have always just had to go back to sleep and hope when I wake up, so is my body.
I have this sometimes. I might be having a nightmare and I awake partially, but can't move my body. It's like I am "stuck" in the dream even though I know I am not really asleep. It probably lasts less than a minute, but it feels like longer.

I had sleep studies done. I have very little REM sleep, and it comes at the END of my sleep instead of during the middle. For me, this is why it happens.

I found an explanation online from a sleep specialist that explains this:

"Our muscles become completely paralyzed during REM sleep so we do not act out our dreams. In addition to the sleepiness of REM sleep, narcolepsy is characterized by episodes of sleep paralysis in which the person awakens from sleep unable to move. Sleep paralysis lasts a few minutes and resolves spontaneously. Rarely, this occurs in normal individuals."
This should not be a scary experience although sometimes when you do not know what is happening it can be. I have always done this. It is called astral travel. It happens to people who are more in tune or who have a lineage of those more in tune with the spiritual world. Your soul is not a part of your body but more inside your body. Sometime during sleep it leaves but is never unattached. There are so many things in this world that people do not understand and one of them is that we are such a small part of this large universe. We are all souls and we do not die. We inhabit these crapy bodies to do our duties on earth. We sleep to rejuvinate our souls! Sometimes after traumitizing times on earth our souls may leave our bodies to visit certain healing places which we are lead to by our spirit guides...God gave all of us atleast one, however we have many angels. We also may choose, in our sleep ofcourse, to visit past loved ones or even drop in on others! They can not see us though as we are there in spirit. The alarming paralyzing fear happens when we our physical body starts to awaken before our spirit is back in form inside. We are awake but cant move, we hear buzzing, we feel as if we are being held down by an evil force who wants to eat our unborn children.....No.  Does this not all pass? Yes, because quickly, faster than you realize you have returned to your body and can now move again.  I know how scary this is as I used to have the same thing. Now before I go to sleep I say that I only want to leave if I can have a quick return. You can never be lost or not find your way back. We are intricate spirits and way to smart to "get lost". I always ask before I go to bed to have healed whatever damage may have been done during the day in this wonderful world, sarcasm here, to be healed while I am asleep or off visiting the spirit world. Some people can even remember vividly hovering above their bodies or being on the celing to then flying out of the window and into mountains.  I like to think of it as a nice little escape! Have fun!
that explains so much!! i am so glad i came here and tried to figure out what was happening to me, it has been happening to me since i can remember. it does get scarry at times but now that i know what it is i will try not to be scared. sometimes (a while ago) this would happen and i could "see" (even thought i was still laying in bed) my whole room and i was sitting in the same room as my "body" and my grandmother was with me. i talked to my sister and the same things happen to her. i feel so much better now, the last 3 nights i have not wanted to go to sleep for fear of it happening again but now i cant wait. thank you so much.
I have also had this happen....Only a few times though.  The first time and most frightening was in 1994.  Only my eyes were open, it was the middle of the day and I was on my cough and had awoken from a nap.  I could see and when I looked up in the corner of my vaulted ceiling was a dove.  Only a glimpse of it, enough to see what it was and then it was gone.  I felt a presence.  Not sure what it was but it scared me.  I would love to be able to visit the spirit world.  Perhaps I will pray about it and God will bless me with that.  Take care.  
I have had this happen for years. After going thru ENT for dizziness I was sent to a neurologist. After a normal MRI, I was sent for sleep study and Latent sleep study. I was diagnosed with Narcholepsy.

The jolts in and out of sleep were due to REM episodes. I was experiencing REM right at the onset/outset of sleep. I would have freaky/frightening colorful dreams/spasms that would cause me to fight to wake up from.

The paralysis is one of the symptoms. The mind is still in a state of sleep where physical movements are prevented so one doesn't act out dreams and cause injury while sleeping.

I currently take Provigil (daytime) and Celexa (nightime). I also have trouble staying awake w/o Provigil. For years my sleepiness, irritability, etc. were blamed on depression. It has been a valid diagnosis as far as I can tell. I can function fairly well now. I am a 48 yr. old male. Hope this helps. I would seek out some studies via a neurologist.
IT ALL STARTED WITH ME, WHEN I WAS 18 YEAR'S OLD.
MY FAMILY AND I WERE LIVING IN THIS HAUNTED HOUSE AT THE TIME.
AND I SEEN A SPIRIT ABLOUT THREE HOUR'S PRIOR TO TAKING MY NAP.
AS I WAS SLEEPING I RECALL OPINNING MY EYES AND BEING PARALIZED, I ALSO FELT AS IF SOMETHING WAS HOLDING ME DOWN. I WAS SO SO AFRAID.
BUT I ALSO SEEN TWO ANGEL'S THAT WERE LIKE A LILAC PEARL COLOR STANDING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF ME.
IT STILL HAPPEN'S SO ME FROM TIME TO TIME. BUT ONE TIME, ME AND MY HUSBAND WERE SLEEPING WHEN I WAS 21, I'M 23 NOW. IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN.
BUT THIS TIME IT WAS A DIFFERENT HOUSE, HE WAS ALREADY SLEEPING AND I REMEMBER SEEIND LIKE SOME GREYISH BLACK SMOKE FLOATING BY HIS SIDE OF THE CLOSET, THEN IT WENT OVER TWARDS ME AND TRIED TO FLOAT IN THROUGH MY NASTRAL'S AND IT WAS TALKING TO ME IN SOME STRANGE LANGUAGE. I TRIED TO MOVE BUT ONCE AGAIN I WAS PARALIZED, I TRIED TO SCREAM BUT COULD NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEN I  KEPT JUST SAYING "....JESUS, JESUS ,JESUS" IN MY HEAD.............THEN IT DISAPEERED ,AND I COULD FINALLY MOVE AND I GRABBED MY HUBBY AND I WAS SCREEMING AND CRYING. EVER SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL I HAD A SIXTH SENSE. I FEEL LIKE SOMETHING IS ALWAYS AROUND ME, AND ALL KIND'S OF THING'S HAPPEN TO ME.
THEY SAY THAT AQUARIUS AND LIBRA'S HAVE A SIXTH SENSE AND THAT IT WAS MY HUBBY IS A LIBRA AND I AM AQUARIUS. AND CRAZY THING'S ALWAYS HAPPEN TO US.
AT LEAST I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT THIS HAPPEN'S TO.
I NOW SUFFER FROM ANXIATY, AND IT IS HARD FOR ME  TO CATCH MY BREATHE AND I THINK THAT IT IS BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT I DON'T HARDLY SLEEP BECAUSE I AM TOO AFRAID TO.
Uhh yeah, caps are annoying.  Anyway, I get sleep paralysis too.  I don't believe in that whole spiritual idea, though.  This usually happens to me when I am sleeping in class.  Suddenly I'll start hearing the teacher again, but i wont be able to move my body.  It seems like when i relax, the condition stays, though.  When I get worked up and scared I usually try to joult myself awake and wake up sooner.  I haven't tryed relaxing often though, because it's a pretty scary feeling.  Finally I lift my head up, but it usually feels like its about to collapse back down, immediately.  By now I am fully awake, though.  It's pretty scary.

Also if I've had a nap that day, and try to go to bed before I get tired, this almost always happens.  
When I was around the age of 9 or so, i had a similar issue.  While sleeping I would go to sleep in my dreams.  It sounds wierd, but my dreams are very vivid and I am always aware.  I found that waking up required me to wake up from each level of dream causing symptoms described earlier.  Usually after waking up once, I would be nearly conscious but unable to open my eyes.  I would have to force my eyes open.  In my mind I was using my hands to open my eyes, but in reality I wouldn't move at all.  This is pretty scary for a pre-adolescent.  I found the more times I went to sleep in my dreams, the more levels I had to wake up from.  One time, I had to force eyes open, to find that I still wasn't awake.  I was still dreaming and had to force my eyes open a second time to be truly awake.  The experience is very similar to the ones stated above.  Because of my cognition, I never worried about it.  It hasn't happened much as an adult, but it does occur.
WOW! ..i would never get on medication for this.. it happens to me  alot.. i can actually hear it coming on  like mandy's *above* humming noise in my head. the more u panic the stronger it gets .i can not scream ,move  but my eyes wide open ..it really feels like a evil pressence on top of me ..i used to go to my moms bed as child and sleep with her and then i would get mad because she did not wake me when i was going thru this .. she had no clue ..what i have learned  that takes it away and gives me a peaceful sleep after it happens ... even though i cant speak  i pray very loud in my HEAD and just say JESUS JESUS JESUS .. i keep saying his name  and it goes away sooooo fast ...my pastor said it was like spiritual battle that i go thru in my sleep .. i can hear the devil laughing @ me saying * Jesus cant help u*  i even laugh back @ him and rebuke him in the name of JESUS .. The name JESUS  is the most powerful name u can ever say to defeat SATAN..i just encourage  anyone of you  to try the power of prayer .. u dont have to verbally speak when u go thru this.. and can be all in ur head  WHEN you call on the LORD AND BELEIVE AND HE WILL BE THERE FOR YOU ..HE WILL!!!!! ...he is the most powerful medication you will ever need ..
Thanks for reading me .
Risa 34 F Houston .
OK I found this forum because I think I am suffering from what you all are suffering while you sleep.  This does not happen to me every night but maybe a few times through out the month.  I would go to sleep  and of course like everyone else dream and than when I want to awake I I feel like I can't move and my eyes can't open.  I scream in terror WAKE ME UP hoping my husband can hear me but obviously not it's just in my mind that I am actually screaming.   Than before I knew it I my eyes open and I sat up on my bed.  I panic of course and my heart beating rapidly.  I can't go back to sleep right away but after so long I snooze off.  Now that I think of it I do suffer from anxiety for more than a year now and when I sleep and dream I wonder if certain dreams that I dream triggers me to want to wake up and fleet from the situation.  Making me so afraid that I need to get out of it.  I don't know but I pray and hope that I'll get through this and everyone here get through too.  Bless you all....Malia 25 Waianae Hawaii
I am in agreement with you because I go through the same thing. It has been a few months since it happened but I can recall having visitors to my home and my son had invited two of his friends to our home who were not Christians. One of the friends was playing music in my home that was not christian music and that night I had my feeling like somone was holding me down and i could not move but was aware of everything going on. I too have loud noise in my ears.... But finally started rebuking this spirit in my mind and saying over and over the blood of JESUS, THE BLOOD OF JESUS, I REBUKE YOU SPIRIT IN THE NAME OF JESUS .the spirit let loose and I finally could scream and started screaming , 'LEAVE ME ALONE.!!!!!!! My Husband finally woke up and ask me what was wrong.I told him a spirit was in or room.. You can talk all sciencetific if you want , but bad spirits are real.... You DONT NEED MEDICATION, YOU NEED ONLY USE THE BLOOD OF JESUS AND JUST CALL ON HIS NAME , HE WILL ANSWER!
I too have experienced sleep paralysis,  It's extraordinary how real the whole situation feels. That deep fear is like nothing I've experienced awake. Sometimes there does seem to be a presence, but always the inability to move and fear is there, Once i jumped or jolted the feelengs used to end and then i was awake,
However now when i lie there and cannot  move and twich or force my self to wake,   i feel as tho i wakeup and get up or move around and suddenly im lead down asleep again unable to move,or speak or scream,
  Sometimes i think just my hand can move or my eyes or my voice, and i will now wake up upto 10 times n find that i am still asleep, so now when i do finally wake up i am slightly paniced and unsure if i am awake or if its another trick played on me by my mind, i would like to know if ay one else experiences multiple episodes of this at once like i do where my mind tricks me that i have moved and woke up only to find i am still lead there unable to move or speek???
today is the first time i got this i am really scared i opened my eyes but i couldnt move for like less than a minute
this IS WHAT IS EXACTLY HAPPENING TO ME..

OK WHEN  you sleep. theres a sound like a vibration, like a motor sound ( brrrrrrr.......) in your head in the back. and feeling that im awake because, somehow i can open my eyes, i can see somehow the surroundings. but i cant move. its like paralyzed.

its scary when that happen to me.
I do experience the same thing so i've looked it up a long time ago and i think that theres a good explanation for this. I wonder if u've notice that it mostly happens when ur body is very tired or u wake up and try to fall back asleep. They also say that your body enters that state when its preventing u from acting out your dreams. I know that it's scary but there's nothing to be afraid of and i hope that this helped you in some sort of way :)
Oh my God the buzzing it's like large bee's I thought i was crazy and that  im the only one out there with this problem. It's terrifing because I also have sleep apnea. But i've been searching the web and found out that this can all be from a reduction of seritonine levels in the brain. I also found out that taking klonpin might help. i'm going to try it tonight i've been living with this for 33yrs now. I'm relieved to know im not the only one out there. The worst part being falling back to sleep into the same cycle. I'll let you all know if the klonopin works. Good luck everyone.
Hi. Those "visions" have a name as well. Hypnogogic hallucinations. Lucid dreaming can occur with it as well. You are half in the asleep world where your mind runs free and part in the waking world. This is a time when some people can "direct" their dreams. I also don't believe it's a ghost or visitation, except what is in your own mind that is conjured up in the semi-dream state. I don't discount these things completely, trust me. I believe in many things that I cannot see.

Hypnogogic hallucinations can happen when waking, or more often, when falling directly into REM sleep as we narcoleptics or other sleep-deprived persons are are prone to do.

I also take Provigil, and like dgs75057, I can't stay awake or function without it. I also take Klonopin, but for panic attacks.
I'm sure this has been mentioned by now... I deal with it from time to time too, except for the most part, I don't feel much fear. Just plain annoyance. The sound, to me is like yawning with my mouth closed, vibrates my body, makes my back sore, and I don't get any sleep while it occurs...

I can kind of guess sometimes when it is about to occur, because I'll drift off to sleep and feel a slight tingling feeling in my head, and maybe a slight change in sound...

To get relief I've found it best to wake up fully and stay awake for at least 15 minutes to an hour before falling asleep again. It seems to break the cycle.
Hello.

There a lot of information out here. I just wanted to add the word "hypnopompic", meaning when you are coming out of sleep, but are not fully awake.

There can be almost any "dream" or experience happening during sleep paralysis. A lot depends on the cultural background. Even I have experienced it when I was a kid ( not claiming to be grown up !! ). I used to see myself lying on a railway track with the train approaching fast. I could tell the color of the train, I could remember the horn and somehow the train never managed to run over me !!! It never happens. This is to reassure Mandy4183 that you always wake up from this.

It is very much a part of normal sleep, I guess.

Regards
Wow... this used to happen to me all the time when I was younger!!! The best thing to do is not fight it and you'll come out if it eventually.
I can understand what you all are talking about because I suffer from this too.  I know that its not real but it scares me just the same.  When it first started happening I felt the pressure on my body and the presence was that of a man.  It was physical in nature but after a while I wasn't afraid of him he was just an annoyance. But now he has been replaced with a presence that feels mean and who wants to hurt me.  It happens every night and I fight to wake myself up but can't move. When I try to make like I don't know that it's there he wakes me up by blowing on me.  I have been pulled violently around the bed.  I know that I'm not moving because my eyes are open and I can see the room.  Once I woke up feeling strangled and it hurt.  My family tells me that I snore really bad so I'm going to have a sleep study done.  I'm also Bipolar and take medication for it.  Until then I will continue to fight.
One odd recent one I had was I was floating in the ceiling looking down at my bed. Couldn't move... I was saying “Neat" and my voice had a strange echo feedback sound.  Thing was, my bed looked made which in reality it isn't! Thus discounting it being astral travel... Just a hallucination from my mind, albeit a vivid one and unusual.

I caught my mind once after moving my bed and adding a craft cabinet... I had an sp episode but the bed was located in the old location and the craft cabinet was not there...  An older episode I was scratching at the wall and felt the texture under my fingers. I was scratching until I saw blood streaked on the wall...once again very vivid but just another hallucination generated by sp...  

I don't really buy the superstitions, monsters, demons etc...  I found it seems to comfort me a great deal... If I have to, I may turn religious, pray, and rebuke... though very seldom do I have to resort to it...  Reminds me one time I saw a zombie like arm over me... Anyone else would probably be freaked out big time... With me, I was just peeved... Oh brother, not this thing happening again.... If it weren’t for the painful vibrating sensation I get, I could probably sleep right through them and go back into dreamland...  But that seldom happens in a full blown attack... Usually it just keeps repeating until I wake up and break the cycle...  With mild episodes, I just slip back into a dream...

One of the oddest was a dream of sp, while dreaming sp... Disturbing, but the sunset in the sky was to die for...absolutely stunning! I was located in a more dream-like setting... It seems like SP can occur on various levels from just barely awake to just barely dreaming.  I find thinking about it scientifically rules out much of the fear.
Hey all, im not gonna bore you all and recall the same facts everyone has said but please take the time to read on..basically i myself have been suffering from sleep paralysis for around 5 years now off and on, but its become more frequent, to the extent that i fear goin to sleep (but i must otherwise i miss my lectures lol),

The main fear has stemmed two occasions last week where i woke up in the paralysed state but slowly stated to suffocate unfortunately this was not a hallucination and i forced myself awake gasping for air!..other occurrences have been the frequent buzzing as if a bee was in my ear, or someone frantically rustling the bed covers.  

I usually get it once or twice a week and i usually try to keep calm but sometimes it catches me out and i panic and try to scream (then the suffocation starts). I have read up on it and am sure its all down to  
irregular sleep patterns, stress and anxiety, i which have, i rarely go to be before 1-2am. I am currently putting my current spell of constant sleep paralysis down to living in a new environment having moved to university last September.

I don't mean to attack the religious people amongst us, i myself have been raised as a catholic, but surely you cannot put this down to evil spirits, surely it feels like it but it is all in the mind, DEE4220 I'm not an expert but doesn't it make sense that you were simply worried and anxious about the 'unchristian' music being played in your house, my parents are very religious and i play unchristian music all the time(not as a protest i simply enjoy the music) and they are never affected, although my mum did shout 'ride em cowboy' in her sleep last year..was very funny.  

I was just wondering whether people get it when they are actually tired and go to bed at a reasonable time (regularly), because i spoke to my doctor a year ago when it was getting bad and said to simply go for a run or go skipping before bed.

One last question how is everyone on the sleep walking front? Because i have had two vivid instances where i have be in a dream but fully mobile. The first instance was on trip to Italy with my music group from school,

(in my dream) i awoke from a nightmare after seeing one of the teachers hide the wardrobe in the room after killing one of my class mates,  i darted to the other side of the room and screamed at everyone SHE'S OVER THERE SHE'S GONA KILL US, some heckling obviously broke out, again i screamed and attacked one of my friends with a pillow, slapped him then dived back into bed.
I woke up 10minutes later with 5 scared faces looking at me (the whole thing had happened) no one slept that night!!!

The second instance was basically me running into my mothers room slamming the door and whispering to my mum "he's (my brother mike) gone get me!!" ...she questioned my actions
"why wont you listen" then apparently i just ran off breathing heavily...

thanks for reading sorry for goin on a bit but i have a lot to talk about when it comes to sleep lol

Chris 18, Bristol + London, England, M
Hi, Chris! You are funny! : )

Yes, it's a real problem. I don't chalk it up to visions or anything like that, either. Neither does my neurologist.

Sleep paralysis is one thing, but waking up not able to breathe is SCARY. It's happen to me a couple of times. NOT FUN. Have you had a sleep study? You have some symptoms of Narcolepsy and you are about the right age to get it (although we old people can have it, too!).

I've had the buzzing and rustling, too. I never heard anyone else say that! Also, I hear someone calling my name, and try my best to answer, but can't. I scream in my head and think I am making sound, but I'm not. Every once in a while I do get some sound out and it scares everybody! Even the dog!

Ride em cowboy!! LOLOL! Here is Texas that might not be so weird, but I think you have enough to give your mom a hard time for many years!

My sleep doctor says not to exercise any closer to bedtime than 3 hours. He also says that if I can't sleep and lay there more than 30 minutes, to get out of bed and do something like read, computer, watch T.V until I am sleepy again.

I have very low oxygen at night and that is what probably causes the choking thing. I also feel like I want to swallow and can't swallow or catch my breath.

Good luck. Maybe you can see a sleep doctor.

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm reading everything and it's like: I have that to and that and that!! even the 'dreams' where you think you wake up but it turns out you aren't and opening you eyes with your hands.
It is the most frightening thing ever and I never get used to the feeling of 'slipping away' and can't do anything about it.
I think these episodes happen more often when your body is just to tired and your mind isn't. Sometimes I think my mind warns me about things like: you have to wake up because your blankets are over your head or you can't breathe through your nose. I then get very scared because I can't breath and cannot wake up.
I've had it since I was 20 and was diagnosed with Auto Immune Hepatitus (hepatitis). This is a illness which makes me very tired, so it has to be related with sp I think.
thanks for posting all your comments on the forum, it makes me feel that i am not alone.
I had some episodes this morning. I didn't feel terrified but for some reason my mouth was wide open or at least I thought my mouth was wide open.  I woke up and tried to drift off to sleep, but I can tell when I am about to have an episode because I feel a very subtle jolt near my head of some sort. It tends to happen frequently and more intense if I try to ignore the jolt.  I take the subtle jolt as my cue to wake up and try to fall asleep later.

Before the episode happened I was waking up from a rather lucid dream. It seemed more like I was imagining something than actually dreaming. It had the dream-like qualities, but I could follow it and it made logical sense. It was clearly pertaining to a story I am writing and the characters involved in the dream acted in character. I guess that's what I get being a writer. Lucid dreams with story like plots.

For me, I can get SP both from waking up and upon falling asleep. Usually I wake up first with it and if I try to fall asleep, then it hits me rather instantly.  What I find unusual is I don't always feel terrified. I used to, but it has subsided for the most part.  The episode with my mouth open I didn't feel terrified at all. I thought I was awake but puzzled that I couldn't move. It dawned on me after trying to move, that it was sp. I waited it out and continued trying to move until I woke for real.  Perhaps I've read so much about sp that I've lost some of those fears that occur during? Anyone get SP and not always feel the terrifying fear that is often described?
Hi, you are probably undergoing severe stress either mentally or physically, pls can you say about your past health state, had you been met with any kind of injuries that you are not able to forget. How are you coping with your family and friends, try to drink more water, spend more time with close friends and take alprax tablet at night. See your physician if you cant sleep well. Bye.
This has happened to me and members of my family forever. I think my great grandmother passed it down. I usually just relax and I come out of it since I'm so aware know of what is happening, Try to focus on moving one part of your body like a toe or pinky finger it makes it less jarring. And try to get up and walk around because if you just lay there it will usually continue to happen. It is very scary though.
i have been suffering from this since i was pregnant with my daughter (now 6). although now it may only happen once every couple of months. the main thing for me is the buzzing in my head it feels like my whole head is vibrating and the noise is so loud that im sure my partner can hear it(but obviously he can't). i wake from a very lucid dream but my body is completly paralized. sometimes my eyes are open and somtimes cloosed, but i cant move, speak and sometimes breathe, my heart is racing and sometrimes misses a beat or two which is terrifying.  i have read many articles on this and the cause seems to be lack of sleep, stress, anxiety which all seems to fit. i no longer panic unless it catches me off guard, like it did last night,  i was trying to shoult help but nothing was coming out, i fell back asleep and this happened about 4 more times. also the morning after i am always exausted like i have ran a marathon anyone else get this.
I love that there are so many people here that can understand all of this. My Mom said she suffered from this when she was young, but outgrew it. I did not get this until later in my life. I have gotten used to it and it seems to happen more frequently when I am stressed. I can almost always open my eyes, but sometimes they will just flutter, but the rest of me is paralized or my libbs are so heavy I can't move. When my eyes are open, I am aware that I am awake, but parts of my dream continue. So I am in my room, but sometimes the things in my dream are there too. I can't get over being freightened, because it is just scary. I try to stay awake for at least 10 minutes because if I go right back to sleep the same thing continues. I also end up being exhausted all day because I feel like the whole thing is just exhausting. Does anyone else feel exhausted the next day?? Also- the dreams are always nightmares followed by paralysis, is this true for everyone??
Anyone have SP but not always suffer the terrible fright?  I had an episode of SP this week and it was an interesting experience.  I'm a writer and one of my characters was posting on a forum or giving advice to someone in one very lucid string of dreams.  The dream would thin out and I'd feel the familiar I can't move, w/ sore tingly back, then I'd slip back into sleep and then be brought back to the lucid dream. Sans the not being able to move, it was rather insightful. I tried to jot down whatever I could remember in case I find it useful for writing later on.

So there you have it... With SP just about anything goes...  It seems like it occurs just about anywhere in the REM cycle for me. I can have dreams where I am suffering SP to being fully awake... The one that occurred this week, I was seemingly fully awake w/ my eyes open and could see my surroundings in normal context. Then boom I'd be in dream mode, and switching between the two states of consciousness.
I just read your comment, and I have experianced this once. It happened about 4 years ago when I was in college. I had fallen asleep while studying. I lived in a studio by myself. I was dreaming that there was a man in my apartment, I was able to open my eyes and see everything. I remember I could hear his heavy footsteps and feel him breathing right next to my face. I was terrified. My body wouldn't move, it was so heavy. I kept trying to lift my self up and out of my bed, but I couldn't. I couldn't get myself to wake up, it seemed to go on forever. I was finally able to drag myself to my phone. I callled my mom, hoping by talking to her I would wake up. I was drenched in sweat, probably due to trying to lift myself. I was so freaked out that my Mom was freaking out thinking that there was someone in my room. But I could feel him, he got so close. That is the most freightining that I have had, and the most realistic.
I wouldn't consider myself to be overly religious, but i have faith. When I wake up from these dreams I always grab my mini rosary and wrap it around my fingers and that helps the fear dissapate and I am able to go back to sleep. That is the only thing that seems to help.
Hello.

That is a wonderful example of creativity. This is very much true. Although I do not know any patient of mine experiencing pleasant or non-threatening dreams, one or two friends have narrated something similar. One is an actor and was having a hard time doing a particular sequence. (He is a stage actor) And this was getting on his nerves and also creating hassles on the sets. One night (early morning), he had an episode of sleep paralysis wherein he was in the audience and was watching a female artist do the same sequence flawlessly. This made him think that perhaps acting in a particular way would help.

On the personal front, I have got a few new tunes during such episodes. This has been long back. Now I rarely get such episodes. Experiencing sleep paralysis myself helps me keep myself in my patient's shoes.

How's your writing coming up these days ?
If you're curious, send me a PM and I can link you to a site with samples of my work.
My current avatar is one of my characters. Interestingly the one that showed up in my SP episode. I guess it shouldn't be any wonder, considering he is one of my favorite characters and I tend to think a lot about him and try to get "inside his head" in my waking hours.

Like I said, it wasn't like he was in the room with me, which makes me think the SP was happening in a deeper step into REM than usual. What I found odd was how I switched back and forth to having my eyes open looking out my bed, probably about 90% awake to suddenly being more like 10-20% awake where I was in a more dream like setting.

This hasn't been the only time I've gotten ideas through dreams. In fact I got some pretty lucid ones that gave me ideas I would probably not have come up with awake. I'm actively writing. I try to shoot for about a page a day, though I may not write some days and I may write quite a few pages others.

When I got SP, I used to have nothing but frighening episodes, that was until I researched it and found it nothing more than just something in the mind.  One of those times I was able to carry what I knew and think about it while I was suffering. It seems like progressivly I have conditioned myself to not be so scared. I mean I don't always have that control, but lately I have most of the time. I still tend to find myself forcing myself awake, even during that not so frightening episode. I guess that must be a normal instinct.
last night my soul/spirt came up outa me when i was sleeping i can remeber it perfictly. my heart was racing n then it felt like i was floatin up it was but couldnt control it. then when i was about 3 feet over my body n bed i tried to move around only able to move my arms. i was frekin out n then i started going back down into my body, my chest was hurtn n heart speedn rel fast. it suked!!! but was kinda cool. iv had this befor but none i can remeber like this, anyways when i got back to my body i thought i woke up n went to turn on the light, then went out to the hall to tell my mom my tripy expereance. i couldnt talk right so i sat on her bed. then i open my eyes for rel n was still in my own bed. heart still racing. i was wondering can evil spirts take my body when my soul leves?? i dont care for the science answer. i wanna here the crazy....
also i forgot. iv had the thing were i am awake but cant move, n i feel lots of presure on me does this have to do with the same thing i was talkn about above? im not to kol wit god n jeuse cuz franckly iv had a few fuk ups in my life. n i like drugs can these just be halutonations? it just fell more real then a acid trip.
I have also experienced seeing someone in the room with me usually a man who wants to hurt me or i have a sense of him being evil. although lately I haven't been able to "see" him only see his arms as he reaches to put his hands on my neck. I have had sp dreams about a man in the room watching me for at least 20yrs now but prior to last week we never had any physical contact in my dream. In my dream I know I just have to wake up and do realize to some extent it is not real. Although I don't agree with DEE I find myself praying in my head at times and asking to wake up. I am catholic and my mom is fairly religious and suggested it not so much as a form of rebuking evil spirits but in the sense of meditation and trying to bring peace to my frenzied mind. I think it pretty irresponsible for individuals to tell people they don't need medication. Especially in a forum were people are trying to become informed. If someone feels they need medication then have at it. No one knows your bodies limitations better than yourself. Some of us have careers that require attention to detail or have potentially seriously dangerous careers. If you need medical attention please get it.
I have this too it scares me to death evenif I'm just napping and my husband is in the room with me I try to move to get his attention. I can hear him and see him but can't move. I don't think I ever hear the humming sound though. I feel like if I stop fighting it and let myself fall deeper into the sleep that I may not wake up and I often wake up sweating from trying so hard to make my body move and wake up. I also have had the instances where I think I've woken myself up but find out I haven't . I thought I was crazy! I've been having this since my late teens and am now 31. I've never discussed it with anyone cause I wasn't sure if I beleived it myself. But it probably happens at least once or twice a month and no I've never had any traumatic experience in my life that could have caused it. Help! Is there a way to stop it?
Hi, Relax! This kind of sleep disturbance is called sleep paralysis which occurs when your may go to sleep or may tend to wake up from sleep. It is a temporary phenomenon where in you are incapable of moving your body or even part of it physically but keep trying to shout loudly or seek someone’s help. It may be lasting for a few seconds to minutes. It can repeat once again if you sleep. There may not be any physical injury to body but you will be probably frightened with sweating and increased heart beat, one may feel a shortness of breath or air hunger. Night terrors can aggravate it further. You need to reassure yourself nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen. Try to change your sleeping position and avoid sleeping supine, and better to sleep little early. Few things like avoiding - alcohol at night with smoking, caffeine, too spicy bulky meal and going to bed late night can be helpful. Alprax before sleep can be tried. Most important thing is to get rid of stress. Exercise and meditation can be helpful. Take care and update your views.
I have experienced this same phenonenon since I was about 10 y/o. I would be sleeping and then my mind would wake up, but my body would be completely paralyzed. I could hear the conversation of everyone around me, but would be unable to move. I learned that if I concentrated on moving my big toe, I could eventually move it and wake myself up. Sometimes, I would dream that I would wake up, and then would have to start all over again. I did not experience a presence that was not there, nor could I open my eyes. I also did not have any problems with breathing. I've read most of the testimonials with only two common facts. One is that all or most of the body is paralyzed, and the other is that with time everyone wakes up. Some people are fully awake w/o dreams and with full awareness of their surroundings, and others seem to be in a half wake/dream state. Some people have problems breathing and others do not. Some people think this lasts for not more than a minute, and others thing it goes on for more than ten minutes. I have no expertice in this area, but it appears that if we combine sleep apnea, seratonin, sleep/wake cycle,  paralysis, and perhaps stress, we can conclude that a sleep study might be a nice start to ruling things out. I'd like to know about the position of the body during these episodes. I've only had the problem when laying on my back. If I continue to lay on my back and go back to sleep I've gone right back into it, but had no reoccurance when turning on my side. I also would like to add that I haven't had one of these episodes in years, but I have started to wake up, while laying supine, needing to take deep breadths not having  been breathing.
Hi Mandy, hope you are doing better? How is your sleep these days, do you still have sleep paralysis episodes occurring. Have you consulted a sleep specialist for a sleep study? Do relax and try to get rid of the stress, as it is one of triggering factors. Try to go to bed early and also if possible take a afternoon nap. Few sessions of physical therapy or relaxation massage can be helpful so give it a try. Keep informed of your progress and doctor's advises. Take care.
this is a way to the astral world,i have had the same thing all my life took me tewenty years to figer this out.
allow the vibrating to take over let it reach its strongest point then will yourself out of your body and it will happen straight away dont get to excited while your out like i did or you will find yourself back in your body again,thats if you want to get out,the only thing to fear is fear truely.
if you wish for it to stop just focus on moving your toe or finger its hard but it works, thats while your in your body .
Hi mandy, how are you? Its quite sometime heard from you. Hope you are feeling better and have consulted your doctor regarding your concern to get investigated. Have you got your sleep study done and can you share the results. It is common in some individuals around your age to get sleep paralysis, which is worsened by sleep terrors. Do overcome the stress of daily living and try to have 7-8 hours of sleep. Update on your doctor visit and share your thoughts. Take care.
Hello, good doctor!

I am a musician and a writer, and in one episode of sleep paralysis I had a haunting tune come to me that I still remember. Usually it's not so pleasant, although by now I know I will wake soon. Sometimes I awaken with a scream on my lips and it comes out suddenly, frightening others in the house!

I have a sleep disorder but not a good diagnosis. I have extreme daytime sleepiness - just irresistable - fall asleep talking on phone, at computer, inopportune times. Provigil helps me stay technically awake, but I don't feel rested. My oxygen levels drop into the 80s and stay there for a good part of the night, but oxygen supplementation doesn't help it. Apparently I am not getting some kind of signal to breath. Numerous sleep studies showed little or no REM sleep (just a few minutes at most) and very little if any deep sleep. Didn't show obstructive apnea, but have tried CPAP and BIPAP and I wake up repeatedly feeling like I am choking, no matter how much I wear it. I also have nystagmus in the left eye only, and a huge floater in the right eye like a windshield wiper, accompanied by flashes of light. Eye doc said could be age (although I did not have nystagmus when I saw him). I also feel confusion and short term memory problems, like walk into a room and can't for the life of me remember why I am there. It's not normal forgetfulness and not normal thought processes.

OK, NONE of these symptoms existed until I was kicked in the head by my horse and was unconscious for a while. I don't know how long. My 7-y-o nephew found me in the paddock and said after a "long time" (however long that is to a 7-y-o who is scared) I got up, picked up the equipment I was using, walked through the stall and gate, latched them, and sat on the edge of the concrete. He kept talking to me and I didn't answer so he got a neighbor and went to the ER. No brain bleed. Went home. Mental confusion and eye problems, memory problems, feeling of moving in slow motion . . . doctors said to give it time and the symptoms would go away, but they didn't. I got new ones, like the nystagmus and the sleep problems. The accident was 18 months ago. I still don't remember much past accidentally nipping her with scissors (taking out stitches), a big pain on the top of my head (those cartoon stars aren't too far off). Now, I vaguely remember my nephew calling my name and a couple of other flashes, like my horse standing over me.

I have bipolor and recently started taking Topomax (topamax). Interestingly, after only a few days, the nystagmus went away almost completely! It was driving me crazy, my eyeball moving off and on like that. I asked my psychiatrist and he said there was a chance of mild brain injury and that Topomax (topamax) worked on the injured area. I ran out for three days, and the nystagmus is back, but the flashes of light are still gone, and the big floater is still there, although I have gotten used to it somewhat.

My bipolar was (is) a bad case, but I was managing pretty well, back to my job of 11 years I loved in spite of the stress and getting excellent reviews. Now I couldn't keep up with the quota. I still had all the knowledge in my head, but it was as if I couldn't always access it, like a hard drive that needs to be defragged. I could concentrate on a project for a long time, but when I stopped, more time had passed than I thought and I had not done as much work as I thought. I think I was falling asleep.

So, my boss wanted me to take leave, and I was approved on the basis of bipolar, but that's not all it is. I was managing the bipolar until the accident. Of course, with the new symptoms and new self-doubt and being a zombie, the bipolar gets triggered more. I was so happy after really struggling for 2 years and staying afloat, then finally thriving again. Now I got word that when I return from leave, I am part of a big layoff. This is a bummer. If only the bipolar, I could pull it together after some time, medication tweaking and therapy, but this is different. My primary doc says with the bipolar and all the medication, there is just no way to tell if the head injury caused any of this. It's depressing. Even if there were nothing that could be done about it, I would like to know, just for peace of mind of knowing there is some reason.

Any ideas appreciated.  
it happens to me like once every month and as described above ..i feel like i am awake but cant move ...i try to yell for so loudl but the yelling stays in my mind hence people around me dont notice that i yelled...i also sometimes vibrate or get a sudden jolt through my body and feel like i suddenly slipped in black darkness while i m sleeping...i also get short of breath while sleeping and feel like someone is strangling me and when i say Allah help me and God is Great then that force lets loose...my mom and all the other people that i came across would tell me to avoid sleeping straight facing ceiling bcz thats when evil spirits takeover ur body and the fact really is that it happens only when i am sleeping straight facing the ceiling...And whenever i recite quranic verses before going to bed, it never occurs..So in the end i think it has something to do with soul and spirits as someone has said it before...anyone wants to know the quranic verses let me know and u can recite them before sleeping
This is called "sleep paralysis", and it happens more often than you may expect.

If it happens often, it is a narcolepsy symptom. If it happens from time to time, it is a symptom of being a human being.

Stress can cause it, drugs can cause it, some people get it, some do not...
Hi swanpcritter, thanks for your update. Yes, stress is most important factor in sleep paralysis which can worsen the present situation. It is "common condition characterized by transient partial or total paralysis of skeletal muscles and areflexia that occurs upon awakening from sleep or less often while falling asleep. Stimuli such as touch or sound may terminate the episode, which usually has a duration of seconds to minutes. This condition may occur in normal subjects or be associated with narcolepsy, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations". To know more about Sleep paralysis, go through this link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
One needs to avoid excessive smoking, alcohol, spicy food and coffee/tea at nights. Following healthy sleep habits is helpful. Consult a sleep specialist and get sleep study assessed. Take care.
OK - I get that the sleep paralysis can be explained scientifically but no one has addressed why so many women - young and old - have the shared experience of an evil male presence approaching the bed and on top of you holding you down while you are paralyzed. Apparently other women share this same experience I have while paralyzed. I am not only held down, but have been violated as well. Physically, it feels as real as if I were wide awake while it is happening. It is horrifying.
Hi sleeplessinseattle365, how are you doing? Since how when you are suffering from the sleep paralysis and have you been evaluated by a sleep specialist. I am not sure, if there has been a study to anyalize the episode as you have specified. Stress, might be most important factor in triggering the episodes. Stress management and change in life style can help a bit. Go through the following link for some useful information about treatment:
http://www.medopedia.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis-treatment
Take care and share your thoughts.
Thank you for referring this website. The illustration says it all! It is helpful just to know that rape is a common hallucination, but still curious why this particular experience from a psychological standpoint. Do men suffer common mass hallucination phenomena? Forgive me if I overreach here into technically incorrect medical terminology, but I am just trying to find words that describe the experience.
Hi sleeplessinseattle365, hope you are keeping well? Thanks for your reply. I don't think there is any kind of set pattern of the episode for men and women to suffer from the sleep paralysis. It might be the mental stress and any particular horrific episode/incidence that might have occurred or witnessed which could come in as these hallucinations. It is better to get evaluated and to get sleep test done. As I said stress management is most important. Keep updating your valuable thoughts and take care.
Oh wow i uset to think i was the only one as know seemed to understand me when i told them, I find it very scary.but the one i uset to get is i slepp on my front with face on pillow then i become paralyzed and because my face is on the pillow i cant breath..So i panick so much as i can not call anyone as i dont make no sound.It also happend when i was a an ex boyfriends house and i couldn't nudge him to tell him what was going on and when eventually it wore off i shot up in a panick state and i can never go back to sleep straight away after or it will jsut happen soon as i lay down

tazzy <3 xx
Hi sleeplessinseattle365, how are you doing? It's some time now having heard from you. Thanks tazzy_bums, how are you doing? You seem to be stressed, have you seen the sleep doctor for the sleep test? Hope this bit of information about the sleep paralysis and treatment trend might be of some help to you, "This sleep disorder isn’t harmful. Medications such as Sodium oxybate (Xyrem) may be prescribed as a cure for sleep paralysis in severe cases, but the best treatment for sleep paralysis is to reduce stress and get the proper amount of sleep" - http://www.medopedia.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis-treatment. Please go through the link for more tips.
Relax and try to be physically active. Yoga and meditation are better ways of overcoming the stress. Few sessions of massage will also be helpful. Take care and update on the progress.
Please spare me JESUS - GOD - HE, what about GOD - SHE female  - ok enough of that I know.  I believe there is so much out there we don't know and I mean spiritually not some ego male called Jesus whose regarded special BLAH BLAH BLAH and what about Virgin Mary so if she had sex she'd be a **** !!  I find it unbelievable that people can believe in that ****.  Reading most of your comments I also have had many times experienced where I am awake but cannot move but I can feel some darkness & heaviness coming towards me and is on top of me where I cannot move what-so-ever and I don't call out JESUE BLAH, I swear at this thing what ever it maybe (it usually doesn't feel friendly force) to go away leave me be, my father & sister have had the same experiences.  I was told if you can get a hold of it (very difficult when one can't move) and ask it to show it's self to you and you give it a time when to show it's self that's if it's a living person doing it, rules are it must show up and it will never bother you again.  I tried it and it went away for a number of years but came back again, lucky I don't have it happen to me so often.  
I am 24 years old.my first experience was 12 to 13 years ago.it has happened to me a numerous amount of times over the years. My first experience was so frightening. It was as if i was hearing a loud ringing and was spinning really fast. I managed to wake up, however it happened as soon as i fell asleep again. Over the next few experiences i was fully alert and was not able to move but i could hear and even was able to say a prayer.I remember at one point i wasnt sure what it was so i assumed it was a spirit taking over me, so i yelled leave me the F**k alone. That didnt help much. After a few more occurrences i started to allow it to take its course. That really helped because it took away the fear. Now when it occurs i feel very annoyed. My later experiences i have been able to open my eyes and see whats going on.  My eyes would flutter and i would hear the loud ringing or just a loud sound. i am able to focus and jolt my body out of it now. i have never experienced the pressure on my chest or see any figures.. I just have the annoying paralysis. i have never spoke to anyone about it but im glad to see that im not the only one. I dont think it has anything to do with spirits or your soul leaving your body.. i agree with the simple scientific explanation of your mind waking up before your body..
i dont know how to get over this because its happing mur an mur often an iv started to see the things thst are terrifying me screamin in my face afta reading all this now i jus cant shut my eyes coz i think ill get it again iv had in 3 times in 6 days i kno ill have to sleep tonite an i cant stop it happing ill hug my kitten an pary it wont haha
Whats up everyone, I'm a 26 year old male from NY and I too have this thing. These evil spirits are very annoying!  I've learned to go to sleep with my bible, say a rosary and call on Jesus Christ, my saviour to sleep whenever this gets to me. It feels like something is holding me down and I hear disturbing sounds during this state. It happens as soon as I fall asleep and if I wake up and fall back asleep it keeps happening.

How can you not believe in God when you have exprienced the forces of evil first hand? That's how it feels to be in hell...think about it..how will you behave today?
Hi ya everyone,

I too suffer from this, it doesnt happen every night but it does happen often. I get a buzzing  sound in my head, best way to describe it is a fast train going past you while your still on a platform its really scarey as i know i am awake and can hear everyone around me. the only way to try to wake myself up is to breathe really heavily. i do this to try to get attention for someone to shake me as i cant move, talk or open my eyes. i try to tell myself that if i relax i can wake up. But i dont want to be doing this all the time, i just want t be able to sleep without the fear!

Sian
I think this is called Sleep Apnea? if it poses a breathing problem doctors can diagnose and treat it using an airway device, but this is just a severe severe solution. I have also read that PLAYING THE DIDGERIDOO can help assuage the apnea! no joke. it strengthens the airway. i don tknow if theres a tangible cure for the "scariness" of this (as oppose to breathing problems) i had this problem for years and discovered that sleeping next to someone who is ready to wake you up when they recognize what is going on, helps. just remind yourself that you're not in danger, you just need to breathe, keep calm, and get through it. good luck1
I have been getting this "sleep paralysis" too for years..and I look up on it and it just kills me that I can't get an answer.  I've never experienced the "buzzing" or "not being able to breath" but the paralysis, the fighting with your body to wake up and not being about to talk or scream is all exactly the same.  Although, I've experiences many episodes, these are the ones that I am really scared of.  

When I was about 16 or 17 I remember actually having a feeling of pain (almost something I can't explain and when I woke up I got this weird number on my beeper - I'll never forget that, it freaked me out).  Because I was actually suffering, it hurt.  But it wasn't a physical hurt but just something fighting with my soul.  It sounds odd, I know and I'll never be able to explain it...you'd have to go through it to understand.  But I'll never forget how scary that was.

Another time, I remember seeing a black shadow next to my bed.  It was like I knew someone was there, but when I looked all I saw was an outline of a body all in black. Totally freaked me out again.

So today I took a nap during the day and it happened again.  Only this time, I felt a presence sit on my bed.  I actually felt the bed sink in as if someone sat on it.  Then I felt someone get up.  I was freaking out, trying to move and wake up and I couldn't.  Then I felt a body sit down again.  Finally I prayed and I SWEAR ON ANYTHING I almost felt like my spirit came back into my body.  Weird.  Now, I'm hoping it's just a bad dream and I just "think" I'm awake but I'm really not...because it was so freightening that I could actually see myself going into severe sleep deprivation over it.  I'm scared to go to bed again tonight.  In conjuction with what a former person wrote about maybe it is triggered by stress - I have to say that I am highly stressed out and encountered a few panic attacks last weekend.  So who knows - but one thing is for sure, it scared the **** out of me and I can actually relate to every theory that everyone has.

I've heard Silvia Brown talk about this on Montell Williams.  In fact that was the first time I heard that someone else was experiencing the same thing I was because when I would tell other people around me they looked at me like I was crazy.  I'm just hoping it has nothing to do with spirits because that would really freak me out.  Maybe I am intuned to the "other side" but I'd rather not be!  I'm 27 now and I have to say this has been happening to be for a good 20 years and everytime it happens to me I hope it to be the last.  Anyone else feel like there is a presence or feel like someone is there?

The more I experience this, the more I am getting freaked out.  And worst of all, when I tell friends or family about it they look at me like I'm crazy - so I'm happy that there are so many others out there that are experiencing this as well.
Hi ya lmiadb, this is not Sleep Apnea - that is something different. Sleep Apnea is where you sleep but you only sleep properly for a few moments in every hour. so yes the oxygen mask does help :-)

I have a doctors appointment next week to sort this problem out i will report back to everyone if i get a diagnosis!

Sian
It was a while ago that someone commented on SP being due to secular music playing in the house, but I can remember a time when my SP was brought on by one of my parents' Christian Music songs coming on in my dream. Guess I have the opposite problem.

Yeah it's creepy though. If I got SP more often, I might seek out medical help, but it only happens once everycouple months. Usually during a stressful time. Well. GN. I'm exhausted
Hey guys im back..ive actually not had any form of paralysis since my last post which is brilliant i think this is largely down to having some sort of a routine and actually being tired when i go to bed..NEVER force yourself... I have however recently experienced something wierd..

I wrote last time about my night terrors apon when i attacked a group of my friends in my sleep whilst on a school trip, i put this down to the 26hr coach journey from london in which i did not really sleep or eat properly , stress and being in an unusual environment...

This weekend however my girlfriend came down to go to her nans funeral so she had been very emotional all weekend i sometimes take her mood swings very hard and think she hates me etc... We went to bed last night in one of these moods (not a good idea) i also had not been eating or sleeping properly all weekend anyway.. this all amounted to me diving out of bed in the early hours of the morning i had the distinct fear that some people were plotting against me i stood at the foot of the bed and started talking very fast and angrily at her i sorta remember her trying to calm me down so i think i dived back into bed thats all i can really remember ive apologized many times and i think she is generally very scared that i could've attacked her i actually completely agree with her and am very worried.... I also had a night terror last night that i was drowning and couldn't reach the surface and i apparently i was flaying my arms around and accidentally hit her..

i do have very vivid dreams but im certain this has all come along from going to bed angry, confused and sad on top of being exhausted .. i think i have cracked how this has come about but i am still very worried and it is not a nice experience for me or for anyone who witnesses it.

Any similar experiences.. i hope not lol

Chris 19 Male, Bristol England
     Im 16 and also experience this state of paralyzation every once in awhile. It happens differently for me though according to what i have read on this forum. What happens is ill be watching tv lying in bed and then turn off the tv and start to fall asleep. then right before im asleep (kind of half asleep and half awake) i wake up trying to scream but make not a sound. And the sound i hear in my head isnt a buzzing like a bee or train, but more of the type of screaming you would here from a horror movie. my body feels heavy and im paralyzed for no more then a minute.
     I think it does have to do with a spiritual thing because im Christian and lately i've been falling farther away from God and before i started getting the sleep paralyzation i had nightmares which i usually never had before. i dont want answers on how to cure it, but rather how to bring it upon myself for further exploration of the spiritual world. thanks
ps. does anyone think its a demonic thing?
Oh my god! i am not alone! i just woke up from one of those, and it scared me so bad that i went and checked the symptoms for Brain Tumors. Then i googled experiencing weird Dreams. and it gave me this! im so gald it did. because this has been freaking me out forever now!

the first time it happened was last year, tho before that i would always jerk awake as if i was falling from a building type of thing. anyways my friends house we always believed to be haunted, thats how it felt whenever we were in her basement or pretty much anywhere. so we had just came back from a party and we were sleeping downstairs and i felt like someone had come around me put a blanket on me and the next thing i remember i was by the door (i haddnt actually moved tho through this whole dream) anyways this is gonna sound so weird but i felt like a penis was being shoved into my mouth. like it was soo vivid!

anyways my most recent dream i think caused this, just last night, i had dreamed i was walking with this friend and then some strange girl pulls me aside and told me i was going to die on 18th hr. so i awaited 6 pm a little shaken up. nothing happened. so i tried to sleep...thats the thing i can't sleep well anymore, if i sleep well then im fine, but the second i have been up really late it happens. tonight it did. i was dreaming i remember it and and i felt like i was right up against the wall but i wasnt my bed doesnt touch the wall on the sides. so i was dreaming that i had woken up from a sleep and i had thrown my mirror down which actually was on the opposite side one time, so anyways i kept like going back to sleep but i would get up and make sure the mirror was facing down and thinking to myself i dont want a ghost or something to come out of it. anyways then it happened. this buzzzing sound in my head and its like i could feel it going around in there and then it would explode. but i was aware that i was awake and i would feel my heart speed up and it would start to freak me out, so thinking i was against the wall i wanted to bang on it for my mom to come to check on me but it woulnt work my muscles didnt want to move so i clamed myself down and it stopped.

so i dunno how much i believe its spiritual.

but thank god i know what it is now.

does anyone else get these like vivid feelings. like panicky something is wrong with me. as you can tell i thought i had a brain tumor because of it. it just freaked me out.
I have had this happen to me me all my life (my mind waking up but my body is still paralyzed). However, now it is getting worse. It happens 2 to 3 times a week. I also have two new symptoms. I will hear a buzzing sound and also have frightening hallucinations that there is an evil presence on top of me or around the room. I try to move to fight off the presence but not one part of my body moves. Sometimes my eyes will open but the rest of my body is still paralyzed. I see black shadows moving around my room and I can't get away.I'm not sure now if I'm asleep or dreaming or going insane. I have never been more terrorified in my life. I have impending thoughts and hallucinations of death. I'm scared to sleep anymore.  I also have extreme night terrors where I am shot, burned to death, or drown.
Sleep paralysis is where the mind and body are disassociated with each other upon awakening. It is normal for one to experience this from time to time. This happens when one wakes from their Rem Cycle and the body and brain haven't reconnected "so to speak". I will say that if this happens often, you may want to have a sleep study to rule out Narcolepsy (MSLT).  Although sleep paralysis can be benign, this is also a symptom of Narcolepsy.
I've been having interesting dreams all my life. I don't know if I believe in the Spiritual thing or not. I used to. When I was a little girl, I always felt the back of my grandparents house where I lived felt wired. I had weird dream experiences. When I was older and living with my father, we went to visit. I slept in in the morning and was coming in and out of sleep to fast. That's when it happens that Sleep paralysis thing. As I was turning my body around my head got stuck in the pillow, and I couldn't breath. I felt like it was having my head held down by the bad spirits that were there. (there was WWII items present in the house) My heart started pounding from not being able to breath, and I was able to wake up.
Recently while being sick with a cold and trying get some sleep it happened to me again. I remember it clearly. I can see the room around me, sometimes I scream for help but it's not for real.
I don't want to ever do it again. I'm so scared, and panicked. I try to tell myself just to go back to sleep and relax, but there's no way. it's so uncomfortable. All I can do is tell myself to keep breathing.
It's a romantic idea that it's my soul coming back to my body, but now I'm afraid of what I might see next time I'm there. Even if it is just my mind playing tricks on me, I still believe that everything resonates and leaves an imprint on space/time.  To what level do we see these things. At which part does our subconsciousness ends and are dreams begin? I do believe we have a way to reach out to the environment around us. Right after my boyfriend and I broke up. I had a dream and that hid truck was getting smashed by a rollerblader who was jumping up and down on the roof of his truck. I saw a lady off to the side, shabby blond hair, in a tube dress. Three days later I drove by the house, and I saw that his truck was completely totaled in the front. He had gone to the strip club, and  totaled his truck it on the guard rail on the ramp coming home down I-10.

I used to travel in my dreams by water. Now I can fly. If I start to feel panicked I usually will be able to lift. I seem to follow Interstates, they act almost as a landing/launching pad. I've got lost in parallel dimension before. I would hop down different worlds, and walls looking to get home. I've traveled far far out in space, like three universes over I never felt so far from the Earth it was painful almost.  It feels like I'm describing Waking Life almost.
I also dream a lot about houses. Sometimes they are  wired corners, twist and turns. Sometimes like an old castle or sometimes an old warehouse that turns into a resort or even cities. Even the beaches and the forests.
Has anyone dream like that. Have two people ever shared information in a dream and proved that they had this transmission?
Whatever the causes, SP is an altered state, and I believe you can sometimes use that state to have exciting experiences. Sometimes SP happens to me (it always starts in my neck if I'm trying to get to sleep) if I've been sleeping too much, sometimes I just wake up with the sensation I'm being held down and the sound of a roaring cosmic feedback in my ears, and sometimes it will begin just as I lie down. I stopped fighting it about 20 years ago in college. It started when I was 14 around the time our house became haunted, and I was convinced it was demons. The "feedback" sounded like the garbled speech from a devil movie, and my body felt as though a massive amount of energy were coursing through it. If I could just move my right pinky, I could break that paralyzing energy and I'd be OK, though if I tried to go right back to sleep, it would come back. So here are the cool things about it: A very mild version of it occurred when I'd just lain down and I saw a man's image on the wall; he was wearing a conquistador's outfit and stared eerily at me. When my sister got home from babysitting (I'd been in Europe all summer and hadn't seen her yet), she told me she'd just experienced that "holding down feeling" I'd described for years. It had happened to her earlier in the week. She then described seeing the same bearded man, about whom I had told her nothing yet--except in her vision he was lying in a coffin. Cool, right? I also floated out of my body once--the only time I've seen myself with my eyes closed. I also traveled to a dimension once where the colors were like jewels, and some kind of guide once took me whizzing through the stars, the lights and entities flying through the universe at unbelievable speed. My advice is not to fight it. Try listening to the roar and try to pick out music or voices. It's not that scary. The first thing crystal-clear voice I ever heard said: "Watch out for the fence, Kathy!" I don't know who Kathy is, but I hope she saw the fence. '-) Some creepy sexual feelings have cropped up too, as though a not necessarily pleasant entity were teasing me, but what the heck, I'm not dating anyone. The point is, I'm not a victim to this anymore, but I also feel in this open state you can be vulnerable to negative energy. More than once, a guide-like presence has seemed to come. So be careful, be curious, and be brave. Trust me, fear is food to negative entities. And if you don't want to experiment, worst-case scenario it's a totally irritating sensation you have to wait out for maybe 20 minutes. No need to bother Jesus.
im glad i found this because most of you know what its like and i thought i was the only going through this. ive had these same problems when i was about 8 or 9 id sleep then waking up with out moving, barely opening my eyes and every time id try to do it would be really hard to, id always think im going paralized. something i did during the day that may caused this, mostly every time they be from waking up from a vivid dream then waking up at some random moment then it would happen and it would last more than 30 seconds i would say sometime a little bit longer, but it would only occur twice sometimes, once at any given time of the month and it just happens its kinda scary and at the same time its not. i am now 19 years old im a male and this has been happening to me every since i could last remember. perhaps it might be a sleep disorder and i want to know who can i see for this and what can i do for some remedies for this. just like suri123 mentioned it could be from stress maybe, i have been. but that stills makes me think why would i have this on an early age? ive never had any bad experiences it just doesnt feel normal
it feels more like a seizure but you know whats going around you, then your body will feel like its weighing down you feel helpless of like 30 seconds of your life, your body will start to feel numb, your joints start to feel real stiff. breathing is abnormal. if someone can help me out answering some of questions id appreciate it. i dont think this is a spiritual matter more like a body symptom that you cant help but everyone has there views on things.
Inappropriate sleeping patterns can also mean some type of autoimmune action going on with your nervous system.  Do you or a parent have other symptoms?  like those of CFIDS, CFS, FM?

What cleaning products do you use?  There is too much 2-butoxyethanol or butyl in many home cleaning products  ... without disclosure of such.  Disclosure laws need to be changed

Do you also have flu symptoms?  'the sniffles? ... flatulence and diarrhea unrelated to what you ate?  Do your eyes burn & hurt?
You say paralysis while sleeping has happened ever since you were pregnant 6 years ago and that you have an exhaustion as well.  I think there is something in anesthesia or in the things new moms or moms to be are given that would contain BUTYL. (even if just an inert ingredient) I think this chemical is the cause of HELLP syndrome.  Do you also notice any memory loss?  One component of HELLP Syndrome is hemolytic anemia and that is the anemia that 2-butoxyethanol would cause.
I'm 31 yrs. old, and went through a sleep paralysis episode for the very first time this past weekend.  I have never experienced anything like this before.    The only person I know that has this happen before is my ex-wife.  She says it's happened to her several times since she was a teenager.  One site I researched this on said this usually begins in the teenage years and is usually over by the time someone turns 30.  I just find that interesting since it just happened to me for the first time and I'm past 30...  Go figure...
I've had this experience as well. I know in my head I'm awake but somehow I can't move my body at all. I know that I'm trying so hard and I also feel like I want to yell out and I can't. It feels weird and I get scared when this happens. I feel like I'm never going move again. It has happened about 7 times or so. I'm 25 years old now and besides my sleep apnea I have this is one other scary thing I fear of at night.
This happened to me about a month ago. I layed in bed and went to move b/c my shoulder was uncomfortable. I was not able to move. I then felt heavy pressure on my chect like someone sitting on it. All of a sudden it was like I had an out of body experience. Iwas light as a feather and could not feel my body. I have passed out a year ago and this was the same sensation, but I was laying down. I had this happen 2 times that night right in a row. From the time I layed down until the time I was able to look at the clock 35 mintues had passed. I am not sure if I had fallen asleep for the first 15 mintues, but when I woke up I was able to say in my head... move you arm, but nothing. I was also unalble to speak which really scared me. My heart was also beating fast almost like it was popping out of my chest. I went to a cardio doc and did some testing, but of course nothing was to be found. Dr. thinks maybe this has something to do with a sleep disorder. Not sure but ver scary expeience.
I also have vivid dreams and also suffer the loud vibrating noise in my ears upon going to sleep, so loud it hurts my ears, I can recreat the sound when I make my ear drum vibrate or when I yawn with my mouth shut, I know I am about to have one of these weird experiences/episodes because of the noise in my ears. My eyes are closed and I am aware of my surroundings but feel an evil presence in the room and sometimes hear stranges sounds like there is something moving around my bed on the floor.

It slides me off my bed either onto the floor and moves me around the room or levitates me up into the air and then swings me round all over the room.  It is  very frightening when it happens and feels very real.  I am unable to shout out, move or open my eyes.

I first had this experience in my late teens/early twenties. I was paralysied in my sleep but was aware and could see a female like creature crouched down by the end of my bed on the floor, abit like an erchin or imp I suppose all black with glowing green eyes. But the creepy bit was that she was purposely at the same time trying to sexually excite me, does that make any sense??  That sort of episode has only ever happened once.

I am a committed christian now and have been for the past year or so and I regularly have vivid dreams of demons and evil spirits trying to frighten me, I recite the lords prayer out loud to them over and over and command them to leave in the name of Jesus and God.

I don't know whether it is a spiritual thing or not but I do know it feels extremely real and disturbing.

Does anyone else suffer the presence that pulls you out of bed??

Sometimes before it gets that far I am able to concentrate on trying to move and I can wake myself up.
Hey guys this is SAC. I have had SP for 5 years and I just wanted to ask anyone of they've ever experienced the good side of it. I know that 95% of the time it is terrifying but has anyone ever had the experience of flying? It is amazing and completely outweighs the bad side... I promise. I have had maybe 10-15 flying experiences in the past 5 years but it is great. It just happened the other day while I was napping, which is why I'm writing right now. I tend to have several SP episodes before I snap out of it, but the other day was different. I had maybe 3 or 4 terrifying SP epidodes before the greatest ones began. At first I started flying around the room, then the house, but eventually I began going above the house. Before I knew it I was in the sky, above the trees and buidings. I was looking down on this town, seeing it all and it was absolutely amazing. My body felt great,  better than ever before. I just wanted to let you guys know that there can be a good side to this all. If not, I would have gone to the doctor and been put on medication to have it stopped completely. =)
I have the same problem and have had it for 9 yrs. and counting. It is super scary to me and I onlyhave two suggestions to offer..................

1) Call on the Lord and he will give you the strength to overcome your fears. The verse Psalm 23:4 always helps me tremendously (As I I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff protect and confort me) I repeat it over and over in my head when I am having my sleep paralysis and it really helps.

2) I discovered that when this happens, since I cannot move or speak,  I purposely breathe in and out as hard as I can to startle anyone around me so that they can think I am suffocating or something and wake me up. I have tried it several times and it works. And, if they are people you know, you can even set it as a code so that they know that when you do that, that means, WAKE ME UP! my husband already knows.

I have the same type of dreams if thats what they are called. For me it usaually starts the second I go from the awake state to the sleep. I can hear things and also see shadows. The most frightening is the feeling of someone getting on top of me and forcing me down while i'm trying to get up or break free. At first it was really scary but now I've learned to tell myself that I'm asleep and can sometimes make it go away. I also talk to my visitor and I tell him that he can't overpwer me but its kind of hard when you are paralyzed. Yesterday was more intense than usual and when I finally got myself to wake up I was kind of hesitant to fall back asleep, it was that bad.
Yes I did have an episode two days ago where I flew out and above the house. It was a good experience. I hope to have more of these. Unlike some people that want this gift to go away I don't. I'll take the bad and to good and share with you guys.....................I didn't mention in my previous comment I'm about to be 36 years and have had these experiences off and on for about 3 years now but at least 3 or 4  times a week in the past month. Why? I don't know.
What you are talking about is sleep paralysis. Kinda sad that some people are coming here and preaching about supernatural stuff instead of trying to find out what it really is and knowing that it's natural to happen.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
I think most of us of realise it is sleep paralysis but what we find upsetting and disturbing is the common theme it comes out in, i.e. evil presence, can't move.  etc etc.

Whether it is supernatural or just brain chemistry it is a frightening experience to have to go through on a regular basis and makes people feel a whole lot better and reassured if they know their not the only ones.

It would be much nicer if we all dreamt we were lying on a beach in the carribean instead but unfortunately it never happens.

I have had this problem for the last four years and i dont know if i can get rid of it.
Last night, before i fell asleep i didnt want the sleep paralysis to happen or whatever it is but it did. As soon as it crept along, it felt like something in my head popped and i was bleeding out of my mouth. what was that? i mean i felt it  but it really didnt happen ?

Mike

Mike
I suffer from this quite frequently.  I actually get out of bed and walk around trying to find someone to ask if I'm awake or not.  The other night I was at my daughters and my husband was in a different room.  I woke as I thought! and pulled back the bedclothes got out of bed and walked up the passage to his room, he walked out and had blood on one side of his eye and looked at me really strangely, I was standing at the top of the stairs, I swear I was there but I wasn't, I woke up a while later.  The last couple of days, early morning, I have had experiences, I hate it when I can't open my eyes it feels like they are stuck with glue.  I don't want to be frightened and tried to relax so I could wake up but was afraid I would get stuck there.  I have actually felt someone hit me, fluttering behind me and on top of me and footsteps of people walking into the room.  I hate it and would REALLY love someone who has suffered this as profound as I do to give me some advice that has worked for them.

Margaret
well da same thing happens to me evrynight nd i want it to stop im 17 now nd it was happening to me since i was like 7 or 8 i thought by now it would go away but its till here i sleep on my back so i can jerk my way out of it but i like to sleep on my stomach but im scared to because its harder to wake up out of it please somebody tell me how to get rid of this what ever this is :-(
I have moved enormously from home to home in my life.  I am now 46 and I have gone years without occurance thinking that it was over only to have a new house now and for it to start up again.  It started when I lived on Marco Island and followed me off the island, but disappeared the further away I moved.  Now, I am back close to Marco and it starts up again.  Now, I cuss at the episode and it stops.  I get pretty mad.  The reason I get angry is the first time on Marco I felt like I was being raped.  I was being pawed or touched on my upper body.  I have the noise too.  And another time I heard it approaching me.  It was deformed some kind of animal missing its lower body.  I thought it was a cat.  I don't know.  I thought the first time that it was my x-boyfrend who passed away.  I don't know.  But those two times make me think that there is more to this than just sleep disorders or blood pressure problems.  Jeez I would rather believe that it is something undiscovered than that I have a heart or bran problem and will die in my sleep.  Well, now I am back living towards Marco and here we go again.  I don't have any answers.  My mind just comes up with one explanation after another.  All I know is that I am 95% sure that this is not a happy entity if it is one at all.
i feel the same way too... its good to have u guys as a support group! keep in touch, add me guys!
I am so glad I found this site.  For many years I have wondered what was happening to me.  Tonight, I had 4 really bad series back to back and scarred me enough to finally want to look for information.  I have always felt the bad ones but I can now reflect on the few good ones.  You are right to say that they are amazing!  
I also just found out not too long ago that my Mother and younger brother also experience SP.  I wonder now if it's heriditary?  I hope my children don't get it but if they do I can educate them on SP.  
Thank you all
on your guard, the devil has come calling
I'm currently a 17 year old female, who experienced this about 5 years ago and another one a few months ago. The first one I was just dreaming as usual but the dream suddenly stops and i 'wake up' from my dream i'm still lying down but i'm looking around and i see the curtains flying which is pretty unreal..and after a while a red evil spirit showed up outside of the window and came inside. i was honestly scared to death. it came above me and sank into my body and as it did sink deeper and deeper my breathing got more thin. When I thought I was going to die from not being able to breathe anymore I woke up with my heart beating rapidly. So.. what does it mean if you see 'spirits' or what ever they are in your state of paralyzed sleep? The same thing happened to my sisters but one had dreamed of animals and shadows. My other sister, I forget what she had dreamed of.
Then the 2nd dream I had was also the same..but at the end of the dream i was in a classroom and my 'classmate' was asking if i believed in the devil or something and then i got paralyzed. I'm a buddhist...but i don't know much of my religion..and i don't know why the idea of the devil appears in my state of being paralyzed so much. I just want to know why it happens and if there's a way to stop it. So please help if you can. Thank you.
i have this sometimes aswell. it happened to me today also and it freaked me out so ya i searched it up and found this. this really freaks me out because i wake up, and im able to open my eyes and see everything and can move, then 2 seconds later i fall back asleep paralyzed. i always know that it will disappear soon. the way i get out of this is, whenever it happens, i open my eyes as hard as i can but it wont, then i try to move my arms which wont, then i try to control my breathing. then i wonder, why can i breathe if my body wont move, then thats when i panic and think im gonna die coz i have trouble breathing through my nose and mostly the times im paralyzed my mouth closes and i cant move them, then once my breathing gets faster, i stop for a bit then i wake up. but ya i think its some creapy thing i need help with this too :(
I'm an Asian, we are more prone to SUDDEN SLEEP DISORDER. It is usually hereditary and it has been happening to most southeast Asian races for a long time ago since I can remember, way before may ancestors lived. Scientist and medical researcher have been trying to figure out what might caused this. Some researchers said it is ACUTE GASTRITIS PANCREATITIS, or solely PANCREATITIS only. That happens when you had a heavy meal (more then the usual) and you sleep immediately after you ate, not allowing the food to digest. it also happens when you smoke a lot and consumed a lot of alcohol (which was believed to be a depressant) that depresses your body's function when too much of it is consumed. In our country, a folklore says a BAD SPIRIT might be causing it, but there are no scientific explanation to it yet. I have recently, probably a couple of months ago seen a DOCUMENTATION about this syndrome at NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL. The new medical diagnosis for this is BRUGADA SYNDROME. I myself has little information about this. Try searching it in your search engines, possible results are also there. To keep it short, in this syndrome there an abnormal conduction of ions in our heart that makes a slower impulses and beating. The only choice of treatment for this is a transplant of ICD (Internal Cardiac Defibrillator) which detects when your heart has this abnormal ion conduction , as it detects it immediately deliver electrical impulses to the heart making a defibrillation (restart the heart again) and thus returning to its proper functioning. There are some people who underwent this operation especially in europe and USA and it may seemed to have helped a lot.  HOPE THIS WAS A BIG HELP, I too has had this sleep disorder. Luckily I was able to wake up on my own. Thank GOD!!!
this same thing happens to me, it is scary. I have learned that the best thing you can do when it happens is to stop tryin to move, the more you try the longer it takes. It is so weird because my eyes are open but i can only see what is in site for i can not move my head. It is a really scary thing and it happens to me prob about 3 or 4 nights a weeek, and like someone else said if i go right back to sleep it will happen again, i have had it happen over and over all night. I learned best thing to do is when
I started experiencing this during my middle school years.  I get them so frequently that I have gotten used to it.  I can actually feel when an attack is about to happen. I personally believe that when my vertical alignment has gone wayward, God releases his hedge of protection making me more susceptible to attacks.  Through my belief in Christ, I am able to mentally recite Psalms 91:4 "4 He will cover you with his feathers,
       and under his wings you will find refuge;
       his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (NIV).
and the heaviness immediately lifts from me.
There are times that i get frequent attacks (feels like 10-15 in an hour) but because i have grown so accustomed to it, I at times forget to pray.  When fear grips my heart i simply recite my prayer.
My strongest attack happened in Japan.  I spoke to the evil spirit, challenging its strength.  Like all the stories previous to mine, I too heard the deep and high voices. My head was being crushed before me, my fingers and toes were tingling, my heartbeat raced 1000bpm.  My prayer didn't work immediately. I begged the Lord to release me from this evil, and promise that I would never challenge this spirit.  I eventually got out of it trembling in fear i have never felt since.  People this is real!  
BTW, I have no other sleep disorder, including narcolepsy.  Get a good understanding of this scientifically and lean on your creator for comfort and a full hedge of protection. AMEN!!
um 21 yrs old.male.having this problem.not so often.in my case wen it it happenin um paralyzed bt i can see every damn thing happenin wherever in the world and it is live...100% sure that i can see things live...anyways my eyes are colsed ..think um nt hallucinating...how this happens ....
It's happening to me too but i get a strange sensation in my brain like a shock wave sensation that scares me to go in that same sleep state again, its like im having a seizure and i wanna get out of it by forcing myself to wake up.. i can wake myself up to 3-4 times before i get into a normal sleep again... once i feel the strong shock wave in my brain i know i can now fall asleep normaly again. The patern looks like : pre-seizure-wake, sleep - pre-seizure - wake , sleep- seizure - sleep... I know the feeling in my head is like when i had a seizure with convulsion when i was awake but without the convultion , only the brain feeling... anyway tell me what you think... seizures or not?
i have also experienced this but it was frightening...i have heard my basement door being banged on and someone being in the house when nobody was home but myself...i have also had felt like i was being strangled with my own blanket and tried to scream...it is very scary and i don't know how to deal with it...
guys,

I used to get this around the time of my GCSE's/A-Levels a lot.

It is very scary when you dont know what it is - my experience was of a dark object 'being' over the top of my chest and head area, almost growling and making dark noises... My body was completely paralised although I could move my eyes around and think as if I were awake!
Also sometimes having the electric shock feeling in my brain...

When I tried to speak, it was a huge struggle to make just groaning noises even know I knew exactl;y what I wanted to say...

At first I was scared - then I watched a program about it completely out of the blue which explained it.

5 stages of sleep - R.E.M sleep is the stage where u dream - your body paralises itself at this stage so that you do not act out your dreams. The problem arises when your brian comes out of R.E.M sleep but not fully and leaves your motor functions behind - paralisis
Many people who sleep walk have problems in doing this as well as others but in a different way, hence they walk around..
You are not normally affected by this as you pass through the stages of sleep many times in a night, hence different dreams.

The best advice I can give is to RELAX!!!! Don't panic because it is associated with STRESS!
I used to either 'ride the storm' and actually enjoy the wierd experience (sometimes you'd feel almost spiritual) or just close your eyes and relax and think of a thought to dream about or your last nice dream - you should just fall back to sleep.

I cant remember the last time I had it now - I'm 23.
This is called cartaplasy or something like that. i have expierienced it only about 3 or 4 times but it has been since I started having narcoleptic episodes since a car crash two years ago. The feeling is horrible yet oddly personal. For me I fell asleep during a nap but then remembered something I had to do. WHen I remembered this I would try to get up to do it but I couldnt move. I could think, hear, understand, comprehend, but I couldnt talk or move. Maybe chekc with your doc about narcolespy. I know i slept for the past 2 years almost straight, now i have my life back because of treatment

Within a 2 month period, I have experienced this "sleep paralysis."
Bio: med student and Christian.

Last night, I was dreaming and once again, I had this feeling that someone was on top of me. I tried my best to fight this spirit, figure, hallucination, etc but it's so heavy and like always, I feel my heart racing and I start shouting "i rebuke you in the name of Jesus" in my mind b/c like so many of you, I cant move. I can never see the face of this figure but I do feel pain while I'm fighting and sometimes, I feel like it's trying to engage something sexual with me....but the experience is frightful and upsetting.

this disconnect between in the brain and the body during REM sleep makes a lot of sense and of course, med school doesn't help my stress level but it's so frustrating to me, b/c I need my sleep and now...I wonder if I can sleep in peace.

I'm spiritual and I do believe in spirits. The only common factor in all my SP dreams: my father has been in all three of them and I wake up calling Jesus name and saying, I will fight for my father.

I'm leaning towards the spiritual cause to my sleep paralysis. I know, people, im a med student for pete's sake and there appears to be a psychological explanation for this problem. But, I will tell you this and of course, most of you won't believe it:

God is real and so is Satan. I've recently made a decision to rededicate my life to the most High God and I pray for my patients and praise God while examining them. Also, my father who is alive and well, involved himself with a woman (not his wife aka my mother), who proudly told my mom that she "fixed" him. I told God that I would stand in the gap for my father b/c I love him and I will stand for those who need to be healed by him.

Concurrently, I started to have these"dreams" or sleeping paralysis episodes.

In all, I pray that God will watch me as I sleep but if I have to fight Satan and his imps then so let it be...

I have never experienced this before.  I fell asleep last night while watching a movie.  The only way to explain this is that when this experience occurred, I was somewhat awake, but sleep too.  I was fully conscience of what was going on.  It woke me up, I could sense the presence of something, and my mind just told me to pray.  I tried to pray outloud, and I couldn't... my mouth would not open and I could not gasp/inhale air to do so.  I could breathe, however, it was unable to pray outloud.  I had to pray in my mind/head.  I tried to move my body but I felt very stiff, as if something was pressing on me holding me down.  It appeared to only last about 30 seconds that I recall.  After I was praying in my mind/head, it went away.  I never saw anything, just felt the presence of something.  It seemed like whatever it was there was two (2) of them.  What should I do should this occur again?  What was that?  Where did that come from?  
this just happened to me last night for the second time. i came up to this page while trying to get some answers. you have described exactly what happens to me. it's so weird, i could hear everything, and i think i was awake. but after i finally forced my body to move and my eyes to open i have to ask myself wether it really happened or not, just because it's such an uncomfortable and frightening situation. i would go to my doctor and ask, but the description its so hard to say in a clear way! I HOPE ITS NOTHING SERIOUS!!
This happened to me for years. Sometimes I dreamed I was flying. Sometimes I was flitting around the room from one piece of furniture to the other. It was a pleasant sensation, but after a while I felt like I was being sucked down into a dark place, which was very scary. At that point I believed that if I didn't manage to wake myself up I would fall into a deep sleep and die. I would move my arms or legs or jackknife my whole body in an effort to wake up, only to feel myself slipping back into the dark place. This was only part of the dream, however; I wasn't actually moving at all. Once I was fully awake, I could go back to sleep and it wouldn't happen again.

I eventually noticed that every time  I work from one of these episodes I was lying on my stomach with my arms under my chest. Since then I have been falling asleep on my side, and have not experienced any more sleep paralysis.
I get this problem every once in awhile... This morning was the worse. I woke up gasping for air and weezing and my mom had to pat my back because I came running fast down the stairs and she was awake... She was saying oh Lord.. She probably thought I was a goner... Once it happened again this bad!

Usually it is not this bad. I can't breath and then wake up and start breathing. It has only happened twice where I have gasped for air weezing....

It seems to be getting worse but only happens like once a week or less.. I need sleep study!

While I am asleep it feels like I wake up unable to move and unable to breath...

I do believe in God but did not believe this is from an evil force.... However since I have see that new scary movie Paranormal activity it seems to happen a little more often.... If you see the movie, she wakes up gasping for air saying she had a nightmare... When I saw that part of the movie, I freaked because I wake up gasping for air...

I do not have bad dreams..... That I know of..... It seems to happen in the morning times when I am first about to wake up.

Also if I sleep TOO much it happens.... Since I sleep with lots of pillows under my head it is not as bad but if this happens you can DIE..... from not breathing....

I wan't an apnea monitor/ thing for me to breath with, I just now got insurance so I am going to the DR for it soon!

I however do not see any man or force holding me down but I DO stop breathing and it is a horrible feeling..... If you go back to sleep right away it will happen again even worse!!!!!

If I stay awake for awhile and then go back to bed I am fine.... I have also gained weight recently and I know if you are overweight that this happens even MORE SO.....

Also after this happens to me, it makes me kind of afraid of my own bedroom... I am not sure why.... When we moved into another Apartment I loved it and once this happend to me I did not like that apartment anymore... I guess probably just a bad experience makes me not have good memories..... Sort of feels like an evil presence or maybe just chalk it up to bad experience.

I never had this problem until I gained weight really fast in like a few month time period. Now it has been happening off and on for the past 4-5 years.....

Since this just happened again this morning for the 1st time in 2 weeks... I went to my bedroom awhile ago to close the door so the cats would not go in and break anything... because I have some collectibles and I looked at my BED and just closed the door... The whole bad experience had me frightened... I don't want to go to my room for awhile

Brandy 24 GA

It is now 3:00 and ever since I woke up my breathing has not been good... I feel pressure on my chest....

This has happened to me twice where it has been BAD... I mean weasing, acid coming up in mouth, can't breath for a few minutes, etc....

Usually it is MINOR... I can't breath for maybe 10 sec and wake up and feel fine...

This was worse.... It is scary...

I wish no one to have to go thru this.... I am trying to get healthy and hope it helps.

Ever since I gained weight I have had feet problems, back problems, nerve related, as well as this bad sleep apnea... Before I felt really healthy...

Has anyone else had an experience where they gained weight suddenly and then all these problems come up????? First it was my feet were getting so bad when I would work and stand, then a few months later I gained weight and then I had tingling in my arms and now I have the apnea which comes and goes....

After all of this I never had insurance and lost my job due to the illness and symptoms therefore I couldn't go to the DR and now I finally got on a temp disability and am able to go to the DR.

I have soooo many appts scheduled. I have to go to a sleep specialist, a rheumatologist, podiatrist, and MORE.... I have to make up for all these problems and haven't been able to go to the dr since now I have medicare..... Thank God!

Anyway it is good to hear that I am not alone.... I am sorry that others are going thru this,, but I am glad that I can talk with others that have similar experiences....

I have like many of you had the same thing happen to me, it only really started when i was about 20 dont remember anything like it as a child. For me like all of you it is very scary! i would wake up and not be able to move at all, i would close my eyes turn over open my eyes and not have moved an inch, i would scream at the top of my voice move my legs shake my hands nothing!  after a while i to thought maybe astral projection to illiminate everything so when i went through it one night i would move my "spirit" arm then slowley get up but there was something always pulling me back i would feel so heavy like your on a tight string or something i also had the feeling that if i managed to actually move out of my body i wouldnt get back in! so needless to say i didnt try that again! am not a waco i am not overlly religious nor do i completly disagree i am  as one would say on the fence i guess, open to suggestions. since i have had kids i would say it seems to have eased a bit i have only really had one episode in the last few years, i would get very angry tho and in my mind feel like something is doing it to me (although in reality i am sure there is a physical/mental explanation) i would scream at the air in this dream like state and growl leave me alone go away i could feel the anger inside of me getting stronger and stronger thats quite scary in itself i have never been that angry in real life! Thats me anywayz, thought i would just share my experience with you all.... It is actually nice to be able to get it of my chest, i have spoken to my husband about it and he is very supportive and sympathetic, but he doesnt understand not like all of you would, you have to actually experience it to understand how truly scary it is.
HI All
I have found a work around it which works each and every time.
I m 26 years old and I experience the same thing almost every night for past 11 years. I m pretty experienced at it. in the beginning i would panic that would make it worse and it would last longer, some times over a minute or so. And you guys know that is a long time for it to last on your body.
I apologize to my Spiritual friends. I m not saying you guys are wrong but i completely disagree with your point of view. You may be right from your perspective but my disagreement is stronger than your persuasion.
My research on this started about six years ago, when one night I've got the worse attack. my eyes were open but i could not move and i m trying to jerk my self out of this but i cant that was the first phase of it, when i paniced  it moved to the 2nd stage. In which my brain started shooting electrical jolts down to my body through my spinal cord.  it lasted over a minute and got me really upset. Next day i m scared of it and dont wanna go to sleep thinking it might happend again and aliens might take me to another planet and evil devil might eat my ..............well you know where i m going with this.
well I  typed my symptoms on the almighty google.

Why ? why it happens was the biggest question in my mind and i also know if you are reading this its in your mind too. Simple!!!! lack of OXYGEN in our brain causes it.
Certain chemical imbalance in our bodies also causes it.if i take a nap during the day time or if i eat beef or heavy protein that night i m really sure it will get hit.
if  you get hit....the key is not to panic.
SOLUTION....Take the deepest longest breath inhaled via your nose. suck as much O2 as possible. once your brain's O2 requirements are fulfilled it will send a fast signal down to you body to tell it.....YOU CAN WAKE UP NOW....
Do not try to fight or jerk out of it..you are eating up more oxygen by doing it and brain is left with even less O2.
if you are completely paralyzed, think of this article. and know that this is just a sleep disorder. inhale via your nose and exhale via mouth. that helps you keep calm. try to move your tongue and wet your lips. Take a deep breath and let your self loose. Do not worry about anything. its just a long minute and you can enjoy it too. I know its a painful nasty minute but fighting it will make it only worse.
Take a long long long deep breath. inhale as much oxygen as you can ..............keep inhaling via your nose and exhaling via your mouth even after it gone and now you can move your body....it will help your hearth beat go normal which regulates flow of oxygen to your brain.

good luck......

Dear fragile Children Of Adam!

"God" tells us in his last book he sent to Mankind threw the Prophets Like Mosses (AS), ISSE AKA JESUS CRIST, And the final Prophet before The day of judgement, Mohamed Sala lahu Alayhe wasalam. When you sleep every night Allah takes our souls from our body's then Allah SWT, Puts our souls back in our body's. So If you feel this helpless feeling, of slowly taking control of your body again. Learn about Islam, The Holy Quran Is the Book Of God, The Big Bang Theory, Witch Scientist just figured out was in the Holy Quran, witch was inspired to the prophet who was Illiterate and couldn't read. .......Islam Is about peace and untill you become Muslim you will not be in peace......But God has made the unbelievers: Deaf, Dum and Blind to the facts and proff, Asalmo Alaykum means Peace Be Upon You..Good Luck And May God Help the Believers Ammin!!!!!!!
What happens with hypnopompic sleep paralysis?
During sleep, your body alternates between REM (rapid eye movement) and NREM (non-rapid eye movement) sleep. One cycle of REM and NREM sleep lasts about 90 minutes. NREM sleep occurs first and takes up to 75% of your overall sleep time. During NREM sleep, your body relaxes and restores itself. At the end of NREM, your sleep shifts to REM. Your eyes move quickly and dreams occur, but the rest of your body remains very relaxed. Your muscles are "turned off" during REM sleep. If you become aware before the REM cycle has finished, you may notice that you cannot move or speak.
Sleep Paralysis
(continued)
Who develops sleep paralysis?
Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:
• a lack of sleep
• a sleep schedule that changes
• mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
• sleeping on the back
• other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
• use of certain medications
• substance abuse
I had to check here about this feeling while you are asleep. I honestly think that while you have this astral traval I have a strong feeling that its becus spirits are around you and they try to speak to you while you are sleeping or maybe worst an evil spirit is around you trying to intimidate me. I've felt this since I was a todd and it only happens when I feel something strange is around me. Ofcourse I could be wrong but I always depend on God when I don't understand something or there's a negative feeling sorrounding me. Great post though it could definitely be astral traval.
Another thing if this does happen to some of you or most it could be a spiritual test or experience.  Usually when it gets real bad I claim to Jesus and out of nowhere I'm out of the paralisis and I'm wide awake and its all forgotten.
Today i was paralyzed after sleep for the first time ever. I am 22 and never had such an experience. Its kind of weird and hard to tell what i saw in very last frames of dream but i will try my best to describe.
All i remember in the very last frames of the dream was someone showing me or trying to teach me about some beings (i dont remember how they looked like evil or good)  then in the end it showed me  a yellow smiley face (almost like this one http://vijithassar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/smiley-face.jpg) . While i was focusing that smiley, it  started to tap my head every second with his hand and saying something like "and this is it"(it was referring to smiley) until I opened my eyes and had a feeling that i am back in this world but the tap was still continuous and i couldn't move my hands and body at all. It scared me a lot. When the tap stopped after sometime my control with the body came back.

i never had such an experience before but these days i am researching against satan and his activities with illuminati/elite etc. It might be the reason i have faced such an event.

i just turned 18, when i was 14 i had my first experience of trying to sleep when my body froze while my eyes are still open, i heard a loud beeping noise that sounded like an alarm clock going off, frozen solid i couldnt speak either, it was very frightening and when i finally came out of this state it kept trying to come back all throughout the night, i was in a very stressful time and after that it reacurred alot for another year or so, now it rarely tries to occur, im just happy im not the only one it happens to
this has happened to me more then a few time's and just found out three of my children have had it happen to them,so i found that when this happens to me i just start to breath slow and calm myself down that helps soo much! Hope this helps try it
First time waking up unable to move-
For the past week I thought I've been hearing some odd things in my room while i tried to go to sleep, sounds like my computer monitor tipping, to the sound of someone running their hand across my keyboard but once i heard like someone was tapping on my desk several times that is a few feet from my bed while I was trying to sleep, I figured screw this and i went to sleep in my brothers room (brother is off at college) . As I tried to go to sleep again i again could have swore i heard footsteps, this being about midnight now i put it out of my mind and went to sleep. I suddenly woke up unable to move my body, or open my eyes, from what I vividly remember i kept trying to open my eyes only to make them partially open and close very fast and to my left there was this very loud vibration which pretty much freaked me out. All I could do for a few minutes was just breath through my nose  very heavily. Eventually it past but this being the first time it happened to me i was very scared. Very glad i found this forum though knowing im not the only one.
Hey guys, this same thing happens to me also while im sleeping.  It scares the crap outa me.  I also feel like im getting shocked.  some times are worse then others.  Its weaird because on the nights when this kinda thing happens, afterwords it seems like I go into a clear and strong dream.  I may seem crazy, but when I have clear dream, in one way or another my dreams seem like they come true.  I have daysawvew tons.  I do also feel like I am also around alot of people even when Im alone.  Not in a bad way at all.  Kinda like being around family.  I have alot going on in my life, some good and some bad.  I dont know if its just stress or something else.  I sure in the hell didnt think anyone else had anything close to this going on besides me.  It makes me feel better to know there are others out there.  not sure if having this is good or bad.  I would love to just relax and try to injoy whatever this is.  I just started prayin a few months ago befor I go to sleep and it seems like it happens more now then ever.  Cant move or talk.  It seems like something is holding me down.  Not sure my eyes are open or not....I have seens stuff in my room while this is happening.....anyways, more later I have to run...If anyone wants to ever talk or tell me there story please email me at ***@**** really think talking helps.....thanks again,
Oh and sorry bout my spelling.......hahaha.....thanks
okay i have sleep paralysis , im 19 i started getting this when i was about 17, but it was like once every 6 months or so , now i start to get it like twice a week!!, its so so so scarey , what i have experienced is waking up not being able to move , not being able to open my eyes and this lasts for about 10 seconds and then i snap put of it , it kinda reminds me of being in a coma!! this 1 time i woke up , not moving and not being able to open my eyes but i could see everything in my room and could hear everything and then snapped out of it and was scared that i could actually see my room without opening my eyes!! after that i just kept getting sleep paralysis where i cant move nor open my eyes but the more i tried to relax the more it felt like i couldnt breathe!!!! i have got it on other ocassions i know this sounds ******* yuk and gross but i would be in that  same state and then experience an organism!!! but for the first time last night i experienced the buzzing sound& arms trembling, it sounded but like a bee, scared the hell out of me and i heard the back door shut and almost like ppl where out the back , i woke up looked outside and no one was there... i woke up in tears because i seriously thought i must be dying like i had some sort of brain tumor , this was 5 am , so i googled it!! i couldnt believe so many ppl get this, but then i came on here and saw some vids of ppl being stuck in this for an hour and a half , i am so so so so so scared of that and to never  wake up from it !!!!! some ppl say it has alot to do with stress , anxiety and ur sleeping patterns , now i look at it i dont normally go to bed till about 4 am .....just wondering what ur sleeping pattern is and if anyone out there is experiencing this and has a normal sleep pattern !!!
QUIT BULLSHITTING ON A SCIENTIFIC FORUM!!!!!!!!

Now, i have had this happen and iv'e had a kinda sixth sense when it comes to pressure change in the atmosphere around me....
At first, i thought it was kinda freaky, but i realized it's useful to have that kinda sense, because i can tell if someone opens my door (which btw is OILED), if there's a storm coming, or any pressure-related action or effect. And no, it's not a gift from satan or god, it's a genetic mutation... AND NO I'M NOT A MUTANT!!!
It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. I had this begin at the age of 9 yrs and it was extremely scary.  I was laying in bed and could hear my sisters playing and talking.  I tried to get up, but couldn't move, I tried to open my eyes but couldn't and then my breathing began to get shorter and shorter.  Maybe I was panicking.  I took a deep breath and all of my strength to force myself to wake up.  This happened every 5 years or so and a few times as an adult, but I found that it only happens when I am sleeping on my back, so I do all possible not to sleep on my back.  The last time it happened, I knew what it was and tried to remain calm and began to force my fingers or foot to move until my body caught up with my brain.  I found that my daughter has the same thing.  As a child, I told my mother and she said I had a bad dream.. Here I am 38 yrs now and finally see that there are others who have experienced the same thing and that no one really knows the cause of it.  Oh well, be blessed.
What a relief that im not the only one suffering with this sleep disorder. This started happening to me about 5 months ago...im waking up from my sleep not only to find out that i cant move a muscle on my body(not even lift a finger)but it feels like 100lbs of pressure is on my chest! I scream at the top of my lungs for help but not a peep comes out of me. Then in about a minuet things start coming back to normal just leaving me frightened and fully awake. Thanks for reading this and if anyone has any advice on how to control this helpless feeling please let me know ...Mari G.
I have had this happen to me many times... since early HS until now (im 21).... only one incident i felt a presence that seemed evil..... i dont know why but when i was asleep it felt evil to me and I always feel a presence, although this one was different. Does anyone know if you can come in contact with an evil spirit or was it all in my head? Also, the presence that I feel right before I wake up.. is that my spirit?
wow i just had one this morning a few minutes ago and this is like the 100th time. i said i gotta google this and find out what this is,i thought it was demons attacking me in my sleep but you guys convinced me other wise. im so glad its not what i thought! i had no close idea that my spirit wakes up b4 my body thatz kind of cool! but scary! i was frightend i always seem to scream when i wake up from it. In my experience i get banging on the head its like a big BANG of  vibration on my head.its like i can see my surroundings but i can't move and really my eyes aren't open at all. but i guess through my spirit i can see. But im just glad its normal!
I  have had this happen over and over and over again, different experiences every time. The first time it has ever happened to me, My eyes opened but was not able to move my body at all. There was this strong vibration and this loud rushing noise kind of like the sound of a movie when a scary part is coming up, it felt like it was leading up to something scary. As I looked around I felt and saw this presence standing in front of my bed pulling my body up with this strong force. For me it felt like a huge rush where my soul was trying to escape my body or this presence was trying to take my soul. After a few minutes of this I started to feel a heavy feeling on my chest and then a choking. I tried to scream but nothing came out. After this it just simply stopped.

Another time it happened to me it was basically the same thing but this time, this presence was at the side of my bed next to my face. It pulled my hand out to the side off the bed and began squeezing my hand really hard and pulling me to the side. This went away quicker then most of them. Maybe lasted a minute.

Another time it was the same as the first and the second when the presence was in front of my bed, this time holding both my feet and squeezing my ankles. It felt like my chins were split in half, it hurt so much. As it squeezed my ankles it then started to pull me towards it.

Its hard to explain these hallucinations but they are very terrifying when they happen. I tried to piece these experiences together and couldn't really come up with an answer. It could be a spirit trying to tell me something, could be an evil spirit trying to take my soul. Unless you have these experiences it is hard to explain how this feels. To be honest the whole vibration rushing feeling is what I imagine it feels like after you die.
I would be asleep then all of a sudden it feels like I'm awake but I can't move,I can't talk,&I even tried screaming to see if someone would hear me and wake me up.When I finally woke up I would be breathing really hard and if I went back to sleep to soon it would happen all over again so I had to stay up for awhile just so it wouldn't happen!!
Ok im a football player and im in grate shape never had any stress our any thing like that but im 20 years old and this hase happend to me 2 times the first time i was dreaming and i was sleeping with a girl in my dream but when i woke up she was still there but she turns in to a demon and i tried every thing to get it of of me but i could not move or yell and the 2nd time i fealt all night that something bad was going to happen to me never felt this b4 could not fall asleep moved from upstares to down stares to go some where cooler so i could fall asleep but that never happend and the felling i had got worse and i heard something like a rocket come in and then the buzzing sound then i could not move and there was something behind me but could not move to see what it was so i start to make my self breath and i got to where i could move 1 hand and i start swingging it be hind me trying to hit what ever it was be hind me and then it went away and i just sat there and just looked at the wall not wanting to get up to see something looking at me but after about 10min i get up and i go upstares and lay in bed and the felling i felt all day was gone but i still dont ever get to go to sleep but note this i never was asleep during the 2nd time i new i was the first time but not the 2nd time hope this dose not happen to me tonight because it is not fun and i got workouts in the morning lol
It is called sleep paralysis... I get it all the time... it is scary but not a big deal
OMG I have experienced something similar and it all started on Monday, i had a nap in the day and felt like i had woke up several times and gone into the kitchen to make a drink but in reality i had'nt moved it went on for what seemed hours but was only 10 minutes or so.
but this morning i experienced it again but it was alot more terrifying i felt like i was being held down and could not move and then hands were coming up from in my covers and under my bed i could see scary images all round my room that seemed like something out of a horror film, please someone help me i'm dreadin the next episode = [
I have had this going on for a couple weeks now but figured out it was medication induced... My doctor gave me valume to help me sleep and i would only take it when i needed it. well each time i did i would awake feeling paralyzed ,.my eyes would be open, and i would even see ****, bright lights,. and my mom which is still alive standing over me. i would try to talk and say mom,. but i couldnt. i could not do anything. i finally told my husband about it and told him when it happens that im gonna do my best to move or speak and to wake me up when he hears me.. tonight it happened and i was struggling in fear and finally got a sound out and he woke up and shook me and i instantly got my movement back. I looked up side effects of the valume and it says it can cause sleep disturbances,. so im not gonna take that **** anymore,. i hope thats what was causing it, cause no kidding,. this is really scary.
And you collegefootball player up there, sweetie, that some freaky **** you better get that checked out, seeing some demond chick on you, a sucubus... Better prey to Jesus,. so you can be like me and just wake up seeing bright lights or something.
good luck
cass, what kind of scary images were you seeing? you should prey.
Hi, new to this discussion...
Just woke up from a nap and had the frozen sleep thing. I thought I was having a stroke!! So immediately googled it and found you all :) Comforting to know it's not rare.
even this happened to me 4 times this is because ur mind extracting higher cosmic energy this generally happens to people who do good in meditating i do meditating weekly 1 or 2 hours when ever i do good meditation that day night i feel same like u but i dint hear any voices like u till now this things happen to only some gr8 people its not any health problem or any disorder...... and i done astral travelling once while meditating and i complete struck unable to move for 2 minutes.. other times only when i sleeping... i am suggesting 1 thing u do meditating daily for 1 hour it will brinng gud results to u.. u can become yogi...  anyway i am jayanth from India good to meet u... i jus searched my problem in google n i found u and created this account to send comment to u.. be in touch ask me if any doubts u have....here most of the people are liers becouse this thing will not happen to everyone... only higher minds these things mostly happen to people who does meditating and this is starting stage also good stage after this u can do astral travelling only if u do meditating more n more... byee... ***@**** contact me if any doubts...
This happens to me often.. It's actually a very interesting feeling when I think of it now... But when It's happening its like nothing you could ever feel ever. I will actually see my whole room and usually some sort of unidentible object wich I get so scared and try to scream as loud as I can but I just cant and it hurts, the fear is so strong  that I just try and fall back to sleep the only problem with that is that it always seems to bring me back to this state later on. So even though waking up (to me) feels scarier it defintely better then feeling like youve been drugged and about to be murdered or something.
Okay dear friends, my name is Shah and I sometime go through the very same experience. My research reveals that it's called sleep paralysis and it's awakening of mind earlier than the body as you can read the article below:

But I have another proble with this experience, I FEEL A STRANGE PRSENCE IN ROOM WHEN I HAVE THE SLEEP PARALYSIS WHICH TRIES TO DIMNATE MY BODY AND I TRY TO NOT TO LET IT HAPPEN: SO FAR I'VE SUCCEDDED.

I don|t knw what to call this as being a product of 21st century I don't really believe in superstitious stuff but this crap is happening to me folks. any suggesstions or similar experiences, email me plz:

***@****
You guys helped me to put a name on this thing. Woke up last night cause my cat started to annoy me.. then when i went to bed again i started to drift away. I heard something move around i my room and i got panic.
Then i struggled to open my eyes but it didn't work and all of the sudden i could feel my body moving up towards the pillow, then down towards the cover and the up again. It actually felt like something to over my body.. All though i know it was the sp.. it almost made me **** my pants!
I am so glad I found this site . I am like the rest of you and have been extremely scared by these night event, most are mild and I just basically cant move or speak before waking all the way up..even though my eyes are open and I know I am "awake". Mine always happen on the verge of falling asleep or most often right before I wake, the most recent was last night  but it has been by far the most severe...and IT SCARED ME TO DEATH. I was sleeping next to my fiancee when I suddenly awoke in the middle of the night, I could not move, I could not talk, I could not even think..but i glanced up and over him was some sort of creature with a cloak on..FLOATING ABOVE OUR BED, to me it seemed demonic, I have never been so scared in my life, I remember what the outline of its face looked like, very thin and goulish, it really felt like something that would happen out of a movie, and I felt evil around me all I wanted to do was scream and I could not...I am scared now just talking about it...so after about 10 blinks it disappeared..at this point I am so frightened but also not fully awake, and I lay there staring at the ceiling crying..too scared to move even if I could at that point.THEN I BEGIN TO HEAR VOICES..the best way I can describe it is it was as if someone had put a phone to my ear and I was listening in on a conversation between two people..i don't remember now all of what was said but the voices were not friendly and all I know is that they were talking about me..after that i must of fallen back asleep, and I awoke the next morning scared to even tell my fiance what happened, the whole thing was just so strange, and I really didnt want him to think I had gone crazy!! I dont know what this all means or why I had such a strange series of semi-dreams but I can say I have been very shaken by this and really dont know what to do about it...i am not looking forward to going to sleep tonight! :(
It could be aliens..I just read a book of experiences about alien encounters and most have the same experience but they feel the presence of others in the room. Sounds way out but you cant rule it out comepletely???
Wow,  jlynn888 your experiences are exactly like mine. I had this happen to me 3 days ago, but I did not see anything. This has been happening to me for many years. My earliest experience I think was when I was 11 years old. What happend to me the other night was the same thing. I was trying to go to sleep. Then I can feel something creepy in the room and I know whats happening, I'm terrified. Then my body goes paralized, this time was really scarrey because I felt the pressence on  my body and I could feel the blinkets on my body being pulled slowly off me. This **** was really scary. Then I hear the voices in my head, there really like in my ear loud, like you sad two people talking or argueing on a phone deep in the ear. It sounds hella evil. Then I start to pray in my head and it all stops. I really don't like when this happens. I'm glad I found this site, I had to get some answers on this and this site is great. I know there is a special reason people like us go throw this experience. There is way I believe to use this power correctly. Part of me wants to submit to the presence around me, but I'm to scared.
I JUST DISCOVERED WHAT I EXPERIENCED IS CALLED *****SLEEP PARALYSIS!!!***** IF YOU GOOGLE IT YOU WILL FIND THAT THE EXPERIENCES ARE ALL MOSTLY THE SAME, (and under it where google searches for possible matches while you are typing, SLEEP PARALYSIS DEMON comes up..meaning that is a popular search for this condition!! meaning lots of others see demons too!! why!!! this whole situation is like a splinter in my mind becuause although i can place this experience with a term  i still dont understand why when people experience this alot of them see demons or sense evil!! wtf!!!!! i am confused, people are not generally pre conditioned to just think oh well im having a bad episode..i cant move..gee  there must be a demon here!! no!!  the fact that people who  have suffered from this all over the world see demons or "feel evil" leads me to believe that something else may be going on.... :s  soooo confusing!! WTF IS REALLY GOING ON!! and yes ner033 i agree "after the fact" you wonder if you should investigate..communicate in some way..but again it is easier said than done when the ordeal is over than while you are in the situation lol..but i have searched and searched to find out why  people feel and see such evil when they are experiencing "sleep paralysis" and all it will say is it is just because your mind has woken from a dream before your body and you may see and hear things...sorry but that is not a good enough explanation for me..if anyone has stumbled across a genuine reason why evil is associated with this please let me know!!
I have Sleep Paralysis too. It seems to come and go in phases, sometimes clustered. I've found the best way to break-up a spasm of episodes is to keep trying to move until I wake yup, then get completely out of bed and stay awake for about 10-30 min. Sometimes I find I have to go to the bathroom, so after those needs are met I can sleep again normally usually. That may be something you can try. You may also be thirsty.

Prevention: I have an unusual sensation even before falling alsleep. It will be a slight nod-like feeling. (like dozing off after a meal) and a slight rise in volume static. I can bet if that occurs even before I close my eyes and I am sitting or laying in bed, I will be woken up paralyzed some time rather soon.  Sometimes fully awake I can have a sensation that I recognize could lead to SP if I were to lay down.

In the middle of an episode: It's not as supernatural as it may seem, though if it helps you can always try praying. I used to be frightened terribly whenever I got stuck in an episode, but after I learned the science behind it, it took away a lot of my fear. Not all episodes are frightening. Often it's annoyance I feel, sometimes peace of a sort. One of the recent ones I heard static, then beautiful-uplifting music. It had an added realism that out-lasted dream music. I was able to listen to it in my head even a few minutes after waking, which almost never happens when I hear music in a dream.

Still no matter what I always seem to find myself forcefully waking up. It seems SP occurs in just about every stage of REM, from fully dreaming/ waking up to being fully awake w/eyes open but unable to move.
It is so amazing to know there are so many people out there that have the same problem as me. We all understand how terrifying the whole experience is. The people we tell - just don't quite get it!!

My first episode was when i had just started high school - about 13 years old. I am now 18 and have had frequent episodes and i guess i will continue to have them forever..

They do seem to be somewhat 'clustered' at times, where they happen more frequently than other times. It's weird because i will mention to my partner i haven't had it for some time, and then all of a sudden it will occur that night.

My symptoms are i feel awake - however i am unable to move or open my eyes. This leads to a state of panic where i get breathless and feel my heart go crazy. I do not hear a buzzing sound however i am totally aware of my surroundings etc. I try to get my partners attention by making sounds in my throat which has woken him at times. He simply lays a hand on me and i instantly snap out of it.

Hang in there everyone - i know how it feels - horrifying!

Should i consult a doctor of live forevermore with this!?
hi ya, well ive just experienced it 4 the second time, i dont recall dreaming or seeing anything but my eyes are wide open and i try to move but cant, i try to scream to wake someone but nothing comes out. and i must admit it terrifys me. but its reasurring im not the only sufferer, as when i have spoken to friends they look at me as if im weird.
xx
wow, i'm so so freightened. i've been having this SP for as long as i can remember.i'm 30 yrs now. my father has it too and the reason i'm really scared is that i can't seem to breath when this is happening. my dad n i also fall asleep at odd times during the day but i'm not sure it's narcolepsy cos i don't have other symtoms (symptoms). i notice that this really scares my husband. sometimes, i'm aware that he's just staring at me while it's happening n i'm trying to scream for him to wake me up. i can't tell him it's SP cos he might think i'm possessed by some evil spirit so i always say i was having a nightmare. i often have to make up weird dreams to tell him. recently, a thief broke into my house in the middle of the night and i woke up from sleep to see him in my room. this really scared me so lately i have SP almost every night now. i dream the thief is trying to choke me and i'm trying to scream but i'm barely audible to those around me. this night, i could swear i was screaming so hard. i was saying thief thief, i couldn't breath but i could hear my baby's nanny banging on my door since i'd locked my door but i just couldn't get up and i was alone in my room since my husband travelled out of town. eventually, i managed to jolt my body awake. when i went to the door, she said she'd been there a while n she just heard me moaning and muttering so she was scared. she said she even heard me tell her "i'm coming, i'm coming". i really don't know what to do esp since it makes me breathless most times. i'm scared that one day i might not be able to wake up n this might kill me.it's also really bad when i have a bad cold. i think that's when i have those where i can hardly breath. SOMEONE PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!
this just happen to me yesterday night but it has started happening about 2 months ago its scary i cant even sleep good anymore. the first time this happen i heard whispers around me and they would not go away the whole time i had my eyes closed then i heard like a whistling noise i could not move or talk i tired so hard i even felt like somebody blew in my face! yesterday was even worst i felt like somebody was in my room moving around mumbling i want this to stop but im reading about people going on with this for years  
I cant take it anymore. it really bothers me a lot. i cant sleep because i am afraid of it, every time i think of it, it happens, few min a got up from this experience and it was one of the worse one ever, i was speaking with someone, i saw 2 daces, i asked him to please tell me what he want, and he spoke to me back.
we all having same experiences... and i concluded this is not sleep paralysis exactly... this is beyond science.. what exactly is ur receiving abundant cosmic energy its electromagnetic field ur struck ur ur mind is so heavy this generally happens to great yogis or people who do lot of meditation or its really gift by naturally.. the advance stage of this is astrall travelling leaving physical body and moving soul somewhere this happens when there is no thoughts in our mind... mostly happens in middle of sleep u wake again u sleep and also at morning times...in that situation ur soul is seperated from ur body and ur filled with cosmic energy.... what u should do while u struck up unable to move and mind so heavily pressured very scary u just love that stage try to be maximum dont be scary...
love what ur feeling in that sleep if u continue to be like that with out afraiding u will do astrall travelling... u will go to new places and see and  knew new things..
2 weeks back it happened like this to me... but i want to observe what is that even though i am in a scary state i want to see what happen if i stay like that with out forcely open and move my body.. i waited for 1 minute max they i forecefully woke up... u know what happened from next day some dareness and braveNESS COMING FROM ME..
u really doing astral travelling someone sending messages they trying to help u something...next time u listen what they tell clearly dont afraid.. ur talking with some great souls...
I've read many of the postings on the forums and have yet found an experience that my wife has had. First off I would like to add that our sleep schedule is a little chaotic, stress is present and we both are overweight for our height. Those are some of the facts.
I personally have worked as a sleep tech and am a senior in college majoring in Psychology so I am aware. The problem that my wife is having is she falls asleep for a few hrs and speratically wakes up seeing a black shadow on the side of our bedroom wall moving toward one of our kids. she attempts to move but cant nor speak. Her eyes seem to be the only thing that is functioning this goes on for about what "feels" like 5mins while I am laying right beside her. The newest event occured last night when our youngest was having trouble sleeping  around 2am he falls asleep in his room with my wife next to him. when she awakes to what she thought was our 2 sons running in our hall way. She goes to move and cant nor can she talk she can hear me snoring in the bedroom next to her and the kids running through the hall. Our oldest even turns the corner and looks at her before taking off down the hall. Once again after what felt like 5mins shes able to move and comes into our bedroom to find both kids are asleep with me. She spent the rest of the night up wondering wth happened.
If anyone can enlighten us on this subject or have an experience similar plz send a message. We know that the factors I've mentioned at the beginning can lead to sleeping disorders to where the brain wakes up while your asleep and that we need sleep a sleep test that will encourage a CPAP. This we know what I'm hoping to find is what we don't know. Most things that you find scared of in every day life you can find an explination for and overcome its the unexplained that scares the hell out of me.
ok, so WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO ME!??

I have always had this happen to me but it has only been once in every couple of months or so and i have just learnt to live with it.

NOW its really concerning as iv experienced this in my 3 sleeps! and it has not only happened once, but throughout the entire time im asleep (about 5 - 6 times i think). why is this suddenly happening like this and is there anything I can do to prevent it or cope with it??

please read my comments and other comments... what exactly happening is u astral projecting.. at tht time ur soul is seperated from ur body it only happen to few people... its a great thing doont feel bad.. next time this happens u jus love it and observe it what really happening while sleep dont forcefully try to wake up... ur soul actually going to someother dimensions and someone trying to tell u something... this happened even to me many times... PEOPLE follow what i said this is not any kind of health problem or any evils u r astral projecting ..

I have had it happen too.  It would always happen at or near the onset of sleep but I was definitely awake, and definitely not dreaming.  In all due respect, those who discount the evil component of this experience, have simply not experienced it.  There may be some other sleep paralysis stuff that is entirely related to brain function, but the evil stuff is real.  I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I used to have this really evil presence come into my room and then get the wooshing/jet plane sound rushing past my ears--really loud.  I would be completely paralyzed and could not pray, speak, or otherwise.  I would try to pray in my mind but I could never make it go away--I just had to wait until it left.  But it definitely had an evil presence and I could feel it come into the room.  It happened a lot when I was about 19 years old, right before I was to leave to serve on a proselyting mission for my church.  It never really happened after that--maybe a few times, but I don't remember.  I'm 45 now.  I'd like to talk to anyone who has had a similar experience.  (I just found this thread yesterday.)

Thanks,

Andrew
I have been experiencing sleep paralysis since I was a teen and I am now in the late 40's.  I have now got a better understanding of what it is.  It tends to happen when I am first falling asleep whereby I am awake and aware of what is going on around me but cannot move.  I can tell when it is about to happen.  I believe as has been stated before that more often than not it is a spiritual (but not nice spirit) experience.  I can hear humming/buzzing sometimes and at times even talking in some kind of language and I know in my head I am speaking or praying in english and it is coming out in another language.  Regardless, if I pray or say something along the lines "in the name of jesus" repeatedly it releases.  I have even felt the side of my bed go down as if someone has layed down next to me and last night it happened several times and one of the times, I was laying on my side, I felt such a heaviness on top of me that my hips began to hurt alot.  Again, I had to struggle alot and pray calling Jesus name in order for it to release.  I haven't figured out why it happens but it happens less now than it used to but it is definitely frightening and prayer definitely releases it.  I would be interested to find out from individuals from other religions who may experience this and if they call out a name dearer to them ie, buddha, etc if it releases.  This is not to put down any other religion, but I was just wondering.  I think sharing our experiences can help give us more clues on this.
i get this when i awake from sleeping, i first got it after a long few nights awake on drugs..but now i get it for no reason, im still half asleep im soo tired my eyes keep rolling back into my head, but i dont want to relax in a way cause i feel unsafe, like theres a demon presence in my room ontop of me, i hear a voice in my ear too, i actually remeber what he said this morning something about wanting my eyes..it makes no sense and its terrifying, i try screaming but i know im not making any noise and instead i hear a long breath in my ear..i cant move and when i do i am soo soo tired i end up slippin back into this straight away. i am now afraid to sleep bacause of that evil presence feeling. i try telling myself its daft, but why dose everyone feel that evil presence!? that is scary. this mornining i was being strangled.. i was in a cemetery yesterday and for some reason my mind kept telling ym a bad spirit followed me home, it felt right at the time but now im awake i see that is nonsence, i dont even believe in ghosts and things like this. must have been cause i was half asleep lol..

anyway, there is a famouse picture which describes this feeling, sleep paralisys, check it out...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

thank you for reading.
I just had it 2 night ago. At first I know that I was sleeping on the bed but could hear loud buzzing as if there is a huge bee near my face and can actually feel the air. Or loud noise as if someone if crumpling a plastic  near my ear. I woke up after that but I found myself very sleepy again and fell a sleep in no time. I tried to wake myself but it happened 4 times that night. The last time it happened my husband told me that I was moaning and he tried to woke me up but I couldn't so he tried to reached the switch to turn on the light to see what was happening. To his surprise he saw me shaking with my hands closed and very stiff while my eyes were trying to open and he could only se the white part of my eyes.
When i was younger and some of my mates where sleeping around once, i ended up going halves on my bed with one of them and woke up to find my self paralyzed in place, almost felt as if i was floating.. I could only move my eyes a little bit, it felt as if i was slowly drowning or being suffocated, in my head i was shouting for help but no words came out, this lasted for about a min or two before i could move again, straight away i woke up one of my mates and told him, he told me i had randomly had got up a few hours before hand and gone ape **** at him yelling at him and telling him to get the fu*k off my bed, totally out of character for me and also i did not recall it at all.. That was the first time it happened to me, the second time was when i was alone and knew the feeling straight away, i tried to move my body but no matter what it my body wouldn't budge the only way i snapped out of it was from the flood light going on out side my room which is right by the window which was wide open when im pretty sure i didn't open it , This time felt much different, i had a feeling of malice around me and was totally **** scared to the point that i felt as if my life was in danger, all my sensors were going crazy and i could hear every little thing around me, was prob the most scared i have ever been in my life to the point where i had to keep my bowie knife under my bed pillow for the rest of the night and turned all the lights on, did not get any sleep that night haha.
the day before this happend i didnt sleep for 26 hourse and 24 minutes and then the night came and i felt asleep at 1:13 am and then like 1 hour and 32 minutes later i had like a nightmare i heard this wierd noise or sound in my head and i couldnt move at all i couldnt wake up or open my eyes and everyone close to me i mean my family was like laughing at me while this sound like a electronic sound was like playing and then i thought the only way to move was to open my mouth i could barely even take a breath...so then i open my mouth and i was able to move or something like this...well irt was a weird and ****** up night
What about abduction?
I'm a 39 yo male and have shared much of what you all have elaborated with something else that i've not read in any of the stories and was wondering if anyone else experienced this... this use to happen very frequently as a child but I've learned to wake when I sense it is about to occur. I could sense something in my dream with me but could not see anything; while feeling very aware that something was about to happen when I'd be 'grabbed' around the waist and instantly feel an electric current surge through my body with my vision fading to white and then feeling paralysed. I would wake at that time in a sweat and feeling very scared.

More recently I experience the 'waves' of electric buzzing that sweeps around my head from one ear to the other with increasing volume and intensity... the 'paralyses' events in adulthood have matured to the extent where I feel that I am dying; the life draining out of my mind as it starts to fade to black - it is extremely terrifying and it feels as if I would actually die if I allow it to take hold without waking myself.

Anyway just thought I'd share the experience...
I have expirienced the same thing for years. it is a very scary thing.  i know i am awake but i can not move i also loose my breath and i wake up choking. ii feel like there is someone around me. so i start praying and some how i can start moving slowly i  also sometimes see a dark figure and feel like something is trying to get inside of me. i even have witnesses i was with my aunt one day i was 16 she was visiting from out of town. she was sleeping in my room with me in the bed next to mine. i saw a dark figure and i passed out. when i came back my aunt was holding me and praying. it seemed like that dark figure was some how trying to get inside of me. My aunt is a cop married with children. so she is a very grounded person. I just dont know what it is. there are many other times. can someone help me understand this.
I've been getting this lately i'm only 15, sometimes i wake up and i cant open my eyes but my whole mind is awake, and i can only move my toe, and i just jerk out of it, i've never seen or felt anything ' evil '
it just feels like im not fully awake, like my mind has woken up but not my body, but sometimes i can open my eyes but i just cant move anything and i feel frozen or paralysed, my mum said shes had it before and that its not spirits, because thats really silly, but reading all this has only made me more scared.
if i close my eyes again it just happens again, and i really just want it to go away, how do i stop it
This has been happening to me since i was 16 years old. I have learned to control it and can wake myself up when it happens, although I kinda like it and let it ride out most of the time. When it first happened it scared the crap out of me, I was laying in bed with my eyes open fully aware of what was going on in my room but unable to move at all.

I can actually control it to the point to where i can make it happen, Right before I go to sleep I force myself to stay awake, I fall asleep and wake up I do this like 3 or 4 times than when i wake up Im paralized

OMG!! FINALY!! I cant believe I found other people who experience the same sleeping disorder. My little brother is the only other person I knew of that experienced the same thing. We didnt even discover that we both had the same disorder until years after we both were experiencing it. It just came up in conversation one day and we have the EXACT same symptoms. I read through some of your comments and some of you say that your eyes are open, well me and my brothers are closed, we cant open them at all and it always happens that way.  We can hear, smell, feel, comprehend everything around us but to people it looks like we are sleeping. The only way to come out of it is to either fall back asleep or try with all the effort in my body to move and shake myself out of it....which as i have gotten older no longer works. Im force to just to fall back asleep now. Sometimes i will wake up a couple times a night dealing with this or it will happen back to back, over and over again. I will even wake up normal and than feel myself slipping into it and cant even stop it. It scared the CRAP out of me the first time it ever happend to me,  I was about 12 or 13 years old and I awoke that morning not even knowing if what had happend was even real. But when it happend again I knew it was. Me and my brother told one of our older sisters what we experience somtimes when we are sleeping and she was just completely blown away and scared for us.  After that if me or my brother fell asleep during the day she come and wake us up just incase that was happening to us. LOL! I finaly after YEARS of going through this decided to try and find information about this disorder. I read that it can be a form of night terrors, some kind of spiritual activity, something caused by some tramatic experience, interruption during REM and your body still in REM mode but not your mind. I also found out that there is no cure for it....which I found to be great news!!! NOT!! I just take it as a curse and a blessing...which Im still trying to understand the blessing side. Anyway it is extremely relieving and untroubling to discover that other people experience the samething, not that I wish it on anybody. Well thanks for letting me share...its still unbelievable to me that I found others who share the same sleeping disorder...take care everybody...
hey last night i had the scariest of my life i began to fell asleep when i felt this powerful sensation on my body and i could notmove at all i tried to  talk to my grand ma but a few words came out of my mouth i could not speak. so i jumped out of my bed and while in the dream i was i my house at night in the exact area where i was in the real world. (i dont know if i was dreming or was it real)

Then i slept again and the same prssure on my body came again and i could not move and this timewhere my grandmother was sleeping there was this sound like a witch was screaming. then i opened my eyes and i saw a strange figure. then i went to sleep again and nothing happened.

the thing is durng that dream i was in my room in the exact position and time. can someone tell me what was that experience? i was so scred
i knew that there were others out there that this happened too... but its still so scary. im so tierd. this has been happening since i was 15 years old.

that noise in my head is the worst and it feels like my head is about to explode.
wow i am 13 and this happens to me too. It's like my eyes are closed and i hear everything. I try calling someone to wake me but it's like it's only in my head even though I know I am awake. The I jerk my body and wake up. One time this happened when I was sleep face down, I couldn't breathe. Every time this happens I try to stay awake. It doesn't happen all the time though.
so my mom has experienced something like this twice. both almost identical were she was sleeping on her back n felt like someone or something was holding her down. she told me she tried to talk but nothing would come out n she couldnt move even to touch my father who was lying in bed with her. She said it felt like someone was pulling her from her feet and trying to drag her off the bed. She somehow managed to move n touch my father with her hand who woke up and and grabbed her and she snapped out of it n took a deep breath.

I'm 29 and something like this just happened to me this weekend, I was sleeping on my back n felt like i was awake n someone was choking/smothering me with something were i couldnt breath n felt like someone or something was applying alot of pressure on my chest area. It suddenly just stopped and i took a deep breath and was scared as hell.

Someone give me info cuz i dont want this to happen again
this been happening to me to mandy and everyone im 19 years old and it sounds crazy but i been having this for a lil while ago and i went far in to this with alot of different people and what i found out this sounds crazyyyy but u gotta  believe this im not sure if i do or not but its your sould leaving ur body and wen you are frozen its like u cant move but u know everything else thats going on and its like ur ears are cloged and u got a really loud vibration feeling/humming  weird idk how to explain it
but its your soul leaving your body and its trying to come back in you thats your sould ur hearing or sometimes crazy even seeing please anyone that reads this email me back anytime ***@****
what is this called
this sleep problem happens to me too. for me I go to sleep, everythings fine. then randomly I sort of wake up, well im not sleeping but I am not fully awake either. I can barely open my eyes. it's very hard to keep them open. very hard. and I try to move my arm or my leg or just anything and I can't. and I get this very intense fear that comes over me like I'm going to die or something bad is going to happen to me. it is VERY intense, I never feel fear like that until these sleep episodes happen. I have to literally fight agaisnt myself to wake up fully, it lasts probably only a few minutes. then I snap out of it and I can move again, but then in a second I'm sleeping. just like that! it's like a switch just turns off and I fall asleep. but then this whole sleep problem will happen again all over! I don't know what's going on. this problem happens randomly, it has no pattern with me. it is just very frightening and this horrible sense of fear comes over me while it's happening and it happens so randomly. whats going on?
Wow! Narcholepsy, I been having this all my life, specially after a nap, weird enough after I had my baby it didn't happen again probably because I don't fall asleep deeply since is a seven month baby, wakes up all time. But now it makes more sense, this info would also allow me to help my mom, she has seizures but they don't know what triggers them. I thought it was a case of schizophrenia like my grandmother but Narcholepsy makes more sense!! Thank you!
I get the same stuff. I'm currently 14. But like ill go to sleep and then like all of a sudden my body gets all stiff or numb or something. And the sound your ears make when you yawn comes in really loud. Then it gets really intense then it feels as if im layed back down on a cloud or something. I get this about twice a month. Any ideas? Also when I wake up im really shakken and my voice is really shaky...

I 34, and I have been dealing with sleep paralysis for as far back as I can remember. As a matter of fact I had an episode very early this morning which inevitably led me to this discussion board. Many years ago when I was in college (the first time around lol) I spoke to the head of the Psych department at my school about the problem. She explained it to me in detail including a name for the chemical that your brain releases into your bloodstream that actually causes the paralysis. I cannot remember the name of the chemical though. I ran across this discussion board in the process of looking for the name of it. I unfortunately dont have time to read through three years worth of discussion posts so I do not know if anyone has bothered to do serious reasearch on this subject, and post it here. I did however manage to find detailed information on the subject on www.webmd.com . I have pasted the direct link for it below. Frankly I trust webmd a lot more than wikipedia. The article from webmd does say clearly that this is natural, and it is no cause for alarm. I'm sure that the person who wrote that article probably doesn't experience this though. It is a very terifying experience, and for someone like myself who deals with nightmares on a regular basis due to repressed voilent childhood memories, it can cause panic attacks and even paranoia when you finally come fully awake. It can make you afraid to go to sleep. Incidentally, that day all those years ago that I spoke to the head of the psych dept about this was day 5 without sleep. I had become terrified to go to sleep. My doctor inevitably had to give me a very strong sedative to put me out, and he also asked my girlfriend at the time to watch over me while I slept. When I finally dosed off I slept non-stop for 24 hours. Anyway the webmd link is pasted below. I hope this helps.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis
Hi all,

Some interesting stories on here, this is the first time i have even looked up the subject or even knew it existed, i had my first experience of this 2 days ago, heres my story, as i sleep in my double bed alone, facing the bedroom window on right side of bed, bedroom door behind me, i hear my door squeak open and somebody or something kneels on my bed behind me and rests their head on mine, thinking its my wife or children i turn around to greet them, only to find i cant move at all, not one digit only my eyes, as i struggle frantically i then wake up and can move freely, the door is shut and nobody is in the house, i sit up scared stiff, what just happened was it a dream or something else, dont want to experience that again, it was horrible, does this sound familiar?
Hi all! I've been experiencing this all my life as well, but usually it only tends to happen when I'm sleeping on my back. I was thinking it could be the blood rushing to my brain causing it to happen. I'm not sure though because it's starting to happen when I sleep on my side as well. The noise is the worst, lately when I do have that dream, the noise is really loud and it won't stop. It just get worse, usually I just let it pass when it happens, but it's starting to take longer and won't go away as quickly.

It happens couple times a month. It happened to me two nights ago though. I was sleeping and I started hearing the noise and my head started vibrating, I'm not sure how long it takes now for it to go away. It's starting to get really intense. The other odd thing about it, I was having a very bad dream but I would wake up and fall back to sleep and the nightmare continued, almost like a movie. It happened 3 times and still continued.

This has never happened to me before when my dream continues, that was the first time and before that I had the head shaking and noises. It's starting to be a nuisance because Idk how to get out of it anymore. It used to be quite easy but not the noise is starting to be so intense. It feels like it's getting wose.
I have this also. When I'm asleep I often wake up in the middle of my sleep my eyes be open I can see everything that's happening and i can hear everything. However I can not move my body it's like someone is holding me down to the bed. I start to wiggle my toes thin my legs then my arms until I'm awake and I try yelling out to my girlfriend but my mouth want open so it sounds very weird I use to not be able to say anything I would always be yelling but no one could hear me. Now after trying it so many times when i yell it sounds like I'm mumbling real loud but she hear me sometimes and when she answers it goes away its like who ever holding me down lets me go but whats weird is she never remembers. I wonder what this really is and I always think that if I don't wake up I might not ever wake up.
My doctor says it's called sleep paralysis. I have it too. But he can't explain the things I know that are there but can not see. And no one can explain when THEY touch me, on my hand, face, and arm. I wake up with 3 lines that are 1 inch apart. Each line are 4 inches long. They do not look like scratches, nor burns, etc. They do not break skin. It's almost like tatoos that look like scratches. This has been going on since I was a child. The physical contact with these things happen 4 times in 2006. My wife and I have not slept in our bedroom since Nov. 2006.  People say so many things about this event. But when they look at the recordings I've made and see......well, most of them pretty much stay away from me now. I pray none of you ever have these things contact you in the way they have me. I believe in God and that is all the answer I need.   :0)
I would not consult a doctor for this problem. They don't know anything and will probably give you drugs or call you crazy or something, which will only make you worse off. I have had this since 1974. My first experience at 17. I have learned to live with it. It seems to occur when I am most fearful, but not always. I have had all sorts of experiences with this and find now that prayer for protection before sleep and a calling upon Jesus and Archangel Michael are very effective for me. I'm not even super religious or anything but I do know the power of God, Christ and the Angels. For other religions or whatever, it may be called something else that will protect you. I usually mentally place all of the angels around my home, my bed and my body and spirit before going to sleep and ask them to stay with me and protect me. I also envision a shield of white light around me like an eggshell.  If I happen to have the experience, I am usually lucid and aware and ask for Jesus to come and Archangel Michael. This may sound crazy but it's true, One time earlier this year, I was having the experience at night while sleeping, and it was one of the times when I was being held down at the ankles. I was scared ####less. I called upon Archangel Michael and he showed up. There was a bright blue light, almost like daylight, outside my bedroom window through the mini-blinds. and I heard and could sense his wings swoop down and then I heard what sounded like a huge fight going on outside my window. Then everything went silent and stopped. Then I was able to move and woke up. I was amazed.
I have also gotten to the point where I have confronted the THING (S) and it usually just fades away and or leaves. each time has been different. I have also had lately some sort of electrical things going on. today I felt a jolt of what felt like electricity going through my body which woke me up. another time I heard a very high pitched sound like mic feedback in my ears and a few years ago I felt like my body was a cell phone or pager vibrating. This all happened while I was falling asleep or while waking up. Has anyone had that happen? I sometimes think that maybe I'm picking up some EMF or something. anyway, It's good to know I'm not alone. When I was younger we had no internet and I could not tell anyone what was happening or even hear about others experiences. I thought I was the only one. May God bless and protect everyone here on this forum.

I wrote this in response to someone on another sleep paralysis thread here (ocu2fan), but wanted to share it on this thread also. "I have had many such experiences but one of them was similar to yours. It was my first experience at age 17 in 1974. I was sleeping and awoke in paralysis. I could see my room and heard footsteps  coming down the hall towards my room. The door opened and the presence, which seemed to be a dark shadowy figure walked to the side of my bed. It proceeded to touch the top of my head and made what was either the sign of the cross or an X. across. front to back( forehead to back of my neck) and (ear to ear) side to side. It was also like a tingling feeling also. He was speaking a language I didn't understand. It was like a ceremony of some kind. After that I felt a little better as if I had been blessed or given a gift or something. I then heard him walk out of the room. the door shut and I then fully awoke. I was so scared I never told anyone for years. On one hand it was frightening and comforting  at the same time. I still don't know what to make of it. hearing your account reminded me of it. You are not alone and I hope that you have learned to cope with your experience."
It happens to me when I am having some horrible dream. At that point I want to wake up, but am unable to move and feels helpless. Also, once, I was trying to sleep and I am like in fright and I know if I go to sleep this time I will never wake up again. Happened many times same day. Finally I ran to my parents room to sleep
This started happening to me when I was in my late teens. It has happened to me from time to time ever since. I'm now in my late 30s. I've never really had weird dreams with it, but in my teens when it happened, I felt a strange "out of body experience" like I would float above my body and look down on it all the while feeling paralyzed, unable to move yet my mind is fully aware. As I got older, the out of body thing left but the inability to move was always there. I would also yet the loud whistling sound in my head just before this thing happened; this was the warning sign, I knew it was coming but I could do nothing to stop it. At first, I noticed that it happened when I was very tired but as time went by, there seemed to be no real cause. I would also feel extreme panic. I now know it's called "sleep paralysis" something that is apparently common, but nonetheless, still scary.
Funny how ya actually experience something like that but then i would totally like to warn ya that if ya believe in like magic and other religious stuff then ya maybe have something siting right above you something that you can't see, and the out of body experience not a clue but you should try finding a spritualist to help you out
It's a little surreal to see poeple talking about sleep paralysis as though it was a problem or a medical condition. Although the first couple of times I experienced it it was scary, it's just a normal thing now.

When you realise there's nothing to be afraid of, and realise that the paralysis never lasts very long, the fear goes away.
It happens to me too sometimes...
When im asleel i feel like someone,something like a force or spirit is holding me down.
I cant move or scream or wake up.
I tried to scream but nothing comes out.
Its like a nightmare...
Some of my family members have experienced this as well and they say its when " se te carga el muerto."
Meaning dead is on top of u...
Weird but it sure does feel like it is dead...!!!
I just had this experience last night.  I thought it was my husband who lifted the blanket so he could snuggle with me.  It turned out someone was holding/pushing my head down, and it was so scary not being able to move or speak.  Of course, in my mind, I was screaming.  I usually have this sleep paralysis almost every month or so, you'd think I'd be used to it.  But haven't had it for a while last year.  So what I do when this happens is I try to bite my tongue so I'd wake up (not always successful) and pray to Jesus.  After biting my tongue many times and praying, I eventually wake up, but feels so sleepy that I fall back to sleep right after waking up, then the whole cycle starts again!  So waht I try to do and it's hard to fight my sleepiness, is get up, walk around, so I stay awake for few minutes.
I don't remember seeing or hearing things, but I'm always scared that I'd die if I don't wake up.  I wish I googled this years ago, and found info ssoner.
I have also suffered from the same things many of you have gone through as well. I decided to finally google because it has been happening to me quiet often now. Somehow between my sleep I gain cousciousness and open my eyes . I try to move and scream  but feel that something is holding me down. When I can't struggle anymore I fall asleep again and everything repeats itself again until I finally have the chance to get up from bed  with a confused and dazed feeling. I 've told some people about this experienced and looked at me with a weird face so I decided to keep quiet about it. Now that i've googled it I feel so much better knowing that this is real  and that I'm not alone, though it will always be a terrifying experience.
To resolve this problem you must have faith to God. You need to read at least one bible story a day before you sleep and pray before you sleep and on your hand hold a rosary or the bible and think that Jesus is with you and protecting you.
this just happened to me again this evening when I took a nap. It has happened to me NUMEROUS times since I was a child. Tonight I was taking a nap on the couch n my boyfriend  n son were up moving around n my  mother came over n I could see n hear them but couldn't move. Something was standing over me n kept coming closer and closer. I was screaming n yelling n jerking around for my family to help me but in reality I was just laying there motionless. At one point I remember standing up n walking then I realized I hadn't moved! N I tried to crawl  to the kitchen after my mom but it's like something bounced me back or something. I eventually was able to give it all my might n yell moooommm n she came rushing in but I was still paralyzed n in the same position as I was  when she came over n I was dead to sleep. So she thought. So she walked away. Then I managed to yell out like a moan n she came back n kept saying "brittany wake up, wake up"  I tried but was like in a coma or something. Then finally I was able to actually move n my mom kept reassuring me that everything was ok cos I was so scared n like shaking. In that moment when I was paralyzed I was soooo scared. Whatever was beside me was something evil. Not of god. If any of you have any real good info about it email me at
this happens to me sometimes too, i notice when i panic it seems to last longer. when i "go back to sleep" i am able to move again. ive only done it about 3 times but each time its worked. instead of jerking n screaming which is a natural reaction going back to sleep wakes u up immediately. sounds weird but its true
Viewing 1-200 comments: