Sleep Disorders Community
Partially wake up unable to move

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Partially wake up unable to move

I think it began when I was in middle school (I'm 25 now), I sometimes partially wake up feeling like something is holding me down for what seems like a minute or two. When it happens, I'm still able to see the room, sometimes I can also hear bits and pieces of whats going on around me, other times I can't hear at all and while all of this is happening my body shakes uncontrollably. The episode happens about twice a month, I haven't been able to link it to anything specific that could be classified as a trigger.  It doesn't really hurt it's more of a uncomfortable feeling rather than pain. I can move my hands and legs a little, but I can't stop my body from trembling, I feel as if I'm being restrained by something, and I'm unable to speak I can only make mumbling sounds its as if my jaw muscles are paralyzed. I have been to two doctors who haven't been too much help so far. I have had an EEG test, which has returned negative results for seizures. Both doctors have really address the problem passively as if its not a big deal, and to me its a very big deal because it seems like the episodes are getting more intense, it's a little frighting.  I would appreciate any info that can be given....

Thanks...
This same thing happens to me sometimes. I saw something on television before that caught my eye. They call this sleep paralysis. I get the same thing as you, but without the trembling. Sometimes it's a bad fan noise that's really loud and I can't move an inch. Here's something for you to read upon:

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis
http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

I hope this helps give you peace, just know that you aren't alone. Feel free to inbox me if you want.
It used to happen to me to, until i realised that it was a dream and my body isn't really posistioned the way my dream told me it is. try just thinking thru it feal your body out.