Sleep Disorders Community
Please help me create a new sleep product !

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Unfortunately I have been cursed with symptoms of insomnia. I have gone to many different doctors, and it's always the same,I just get a prescription for a sleeping pill because I don't have enough issues to be treated at a clinical level.

I refuse to continue to use prescription drugs because of the next day sluggish feel and I'm afraid to develop a dependency. I have tried all sorts of remedies and even CBT. I do have an easier time sleeping with a sleeping mask and sound machine.

Currently, I'm a senior product design student, and based on my own frustration and experiences, I've decided to try and create a new (or improved) sleep aid personal care product (i.e sound machine, light therapy, sleep tracker, light and sound machine etc.) .My target user would be people who have primary insomnia, circadian rhythm disorder or any person who is generally having a hard time sleeping.

My goal is to create a product that focuses on three major problems that lead to issues with sleep: STRESS, CIRCADIAN RHYTHM (light) and ENVIRONMENT.Ultimately I would like this product to be simple and much cheaper than existing products on the market.

If you use and sleep aid/ personal care products for sleep, and you have an idea of how the product could be significantly be improved or a completely new product idea, PLEASE share. And just a reminder this is a student project, for a design concept. I would love your insights ! Thank you !

feel free to contact me directly ***@****
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Impressed to see your thought process and your enthusiasm in this field.  As technology advances we see more of shift duties and jet lags. We as of now do not have studies to show the long term disturbances of such circadian rhythm shifts. If you can create a product which will replicate the circadian rhythm.  Like if you observe this rhythm, the transition happens gradually, like the daylight subsides slowly into darkness and the sounds too gradually mellow down into the night. These changes condition us and promote sleep.

If this product can mimic a night rhythm, in terms of sound or light, it should be gradual and soft, then it will help people who have circadian rhythm problems.

I sincerely wish you all the LUCK and truly hope you are successful.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

Thanks for your great response !

I'm very excited that you proposed a solution regarding Cirdain Rhythm because this is a direction I have started to consider. Through my research I have learned that due to our increase in technology use, most people have become over stimulated. Therefore people who aren't diagnosed with Circadian Rhythm disorders, but are still suffering from sleep issues (people categorized having insomnia), are dealing with the same symptoms and isses as people who naturally have a Circadian Rhythm disorder.

I think that you are right about developing a product that simulates this cycle. There are current products that do this, but they aren't very practical, this maybe a design requirement for a new product.

Do you know of any specific technology using light, sound, or something else that could enhance a product like this ?

Thank you so much, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Circadian rhythm disorders can be reset by bright light therapy, sleeping pills and sometimes by sleep debt. In sleep debt, though you happen to sleep late, you condition yourself to get up early; this in turn will help you to sleep early. Also, melatonin a natural hormone is given to promote sleep. You can try a combination of light therapy with melatonin.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.