Sleep Disorders Community
Pregnant Insomniac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Pregnant Insomniac

I have not had a good nights sleep in so long. I can barely function and am like a zombie at work. I have insomnia, and I am pregnant, so I cannot take the usual meds my doctor used to give me for nine months. On top of that, my fiance likes to stay up late with the TV on in the living room and fall asleep on the couch. I wake up around 12 to go to the bathroom, and I can't go back to sleep. I have to wake him and turn off the TV. I have talked to him about this, but he does not seem to get it. He thinks I should be fine if he is watching TV in the living room. Here's an example: Last night, I went to bed at 9. I got up at 12 because I felt ill (preggers) and threw up. I just wanted to go back to bed but the TV was on, and I knew he was asleep. So, at about 12:30 when I finished throwing up, I woke him and turned off the TV. He did not come to bed. He continued to sleep on the couch, so I decided to just go back to bed. At 4 AM, he came to bed. This woke me up. I work, so I have to be up by roughly 6:20. I got all upset and worked myself up just knowing that I just lost two and a half hours of sleep. I was right. He snored the rest of the night as I lie awake pissed. Now, here comes my question: How have other couples worked around SNORING??? I hate snoring. I already wear earplugs. What else can be done to minimize his snoring and let me sleep? Also, should I talk to him again about how I really need to sleep right now?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Have an open discussion with him, this should help resolve many things. Snoring by itself indicates  narrowed air passages. He could have sleep apneas. He should consult a sleep specialist for a sleep study. In the meantime for snoring he could avoid taking alcohol and try to sleep on his side as this keeps the airways patent. If any nasal blocks he should try to keep them patent with OTC nasal decongestants.

And please stop worrying that would be the first step to sleeping well. You should not keep thinking about sleeplessness, as this in turn promotes insomnia and it becomes a vicious cycle. Condition yourself that you can relax and that you can sleep well.

Try yoga and meditation they have calming effects. Go for long stress free walks. And avoid daytime naps.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.