Sleep Disorders Community
Problems Sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Problems Sleeping

I find I only sleep about an hour or so before I wake up.  This happens all night long.  Any ideas? Dr thought stress b/c I was sleep walking... they had me on trazadone b/c of this.  Probably stress. Since I have stopped taking it for six months or more. Just the past week or so I cannot sleep! It's so frustrating!
Hi, welcome to the forum, you seem to have insomnia due to sleep maintenance problems tend to be associated with stress, anxiety, or circadian rhythm sleep disorders.

They may also be associated with sleep disorders (e.g., sleep apnea, periodic limb movements), medical conditions that cause pain, psychiatric diseases (e.g., anxiety, depression), or the use or withdrawal of alcohol, nicotine, or other substances.

The investigations which will help to diagnose the type and cause for insomnia are Polysomnography, Multiple sleep latency test and Actigraphy.

The therapy for this condition includes retaining of normal circadian rhythm by non-pharmacological therapy which includes; Photo therapy, maintenance of sleep hygiene. You need to go for morning exercises and work out which will make you fresh and active all day and tiredness at the end of day will help you to induce sleep naturally. Comfortable bed, warm bath before bed, warm milk sometime before bed, fragrance, mild music and proper ventilation will help you. If you are having depression and anxiety you should try relaxation methods and share your feelings with someone close. Stress management techniques will help you.

Pharmacological therapy includes short course of appropriate sedatives and Hypnotics against prescription. Non-benzodiazepines are effective in delayed onset sleep disorder and help to initiate the sleep.

I suggest you to consult physician. Take car and regards