Sleep Disorders Community
Provent Therapy for sleep apnea?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Provent Therapy for sleep apnea?

Has anyone ever used Provent Therapy for sleep apnea?  If so, what was your experience?

If you also had tried a CPAP, which did you like better?

I'm not happy using a CPAP and I thought the Provent would be a good thing to try.

Jean
I'm interested in reading any responses on Provent use. I've read discussions about it on another forum, but not from anyone who had used it. I would want with any treatment to have a sleep study while using it to confirm it is indeed effective. Is there anything in particular about your CPAP giving you a problem, or just in general? I've been using CPAP about 5 years. Can't say I'd never consider another form of treatment, just would have to know for sure it was working. I have software for my CPAP machine so I know it's working. Hope you find someone on here familiar with Provent.
I just in general don't care for it.  It is irritating to sleep with, and quite frankly, not very romantic.  While Provent isn't exactly attractive, it is at least not as scary looking!   =)
Provent takes getting used to, but it is so much better than being confined to a machine at night. My sleep partner confirms that it greatly reduces my snoring also. It's still so new that many insurances don't cover it yet, including mine. Costs about $65 for a months supply.
Reports are that it doesn't work well for mouth breathers or if you have nasal obstructions generally. Some probably can't get used to it - same issue as with CPAP . But it certainly seems worth a try since you don't have the machine with which to deal. If you live in a place where it is available - US, HK, Aussie-NZ, Malaysia - I'd be making a visit to the doctor's office stat. Ask the nurse, assistants as well. Sometimes they give you a clear picture and alternative view. If it works, what a blessing for vacations and trips.
This was my second night of the 10 days trial period. It has been horrible so far is the sense that  I keep waking up about every 45 min. to an hour because it makes me very uncomfortable, what  is adding even more fatigue to my days, which is that the precise symptom Provent was prescribed to me: to alleviate the fatigue due to mild apnea! However, I'm planning on continue some days more and see if it finally makes the trick.
Has anyone had any similar experience while trying Provent?
I also would like to try provent.  I started using a CPAP machine a couple of months ago.  While I finally found a mask I can sleep with, it is cumbersome, high maintenance, limiting and not particularly comfortable.  The parts have to be replaced every couple of months and  I never take it when I travel.  I really don't see the CPAP as a long term solution for me.  I'm hoping to find something better.  
I have been using a CPAP machine for years and HATE it!  My husband is the only reason I would wear it.  Provent works great for me -- ESPECIALLY for trips. The $65 per month is extremely high -- wish insurance would cover the cost or at least partial cost.  If anyone finds a less expensive resource -- please let us all know.
Okay I'm here not browsing the web, so I ask:  what is Provent?  A medication I'd guess from the cost issure, something is consumed each month.  
Shoot.  For some reason, Medhelp didn't take my original reply.  Basically Provent is something you apply to your nostrils at night.  It isn't a drug.