Sleep Disorders Community
RMD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

RMD

Does anyone have Rythmic Movement Disorder?

I'm hoping to get to the bottom of why I have it. It's pretty awful really.

Could use a little guidance please ...
Tags: disorder
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Rhythmic Movement Disorder is a condition that presents with repetitive banging or rocking motions just before and during light sleep. Rhythmic humming or other sounds are sometimes made along together with the body motions. Body rocking, head banging and head rolling may be seen. This condition occurs primarily in infants and young children, but may also affect adults as well.  The condition may appear at an older age due to an injury to the central nervous system. Have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Take care and best regards.
Hi, I’m 18 and ever since i was 7 i would rocking back and forth. My parents encouraged me to stop, but every time i went to bed it seemed i had to! It’s like it sooths me and i fall asleep faster. The problem for me is i would listen to music and rock myself asleep, but id rock for HOURS…maybe 2- 3 hours. The next morning id wake up and rock back and forth some more. When i was done I’d have messy hair and it would be hard to brush out and it would damage my hair. I had my boyfriend walk in on me rocking, and i felt so embarrassed. I’m always afraid of getting caught, and I’m afraid this rocking will affect me in the future. I have tried to stop by making people sleep over, which would make me too embarrassed to rock. I’d also put and source of music away like iPods, my cellphone, and I would even hide my earphones so I wouldn’t be tempted. It seemed to work but when I do have those things around me I end up doing it.
I'm 17, and being caught is one of my worst fears. music makes me do it but, even without music i'll just hum and do it to my own beat in my head ( ._.)