Sleep Disorders Community
Rhythmic Movement Disorder, Can't take it anymore

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Is there anyone, I mean anyone, out there that has rhythmic movement disorder? I have been violently thrashing my body and head, laterally while asleep or mostly somewhat asleep since I can remember. I am 30 now. It use to consume maybe an hour or two a night but now it is getting drastically worse. I find myself doing it or am told that I, "rock", 4-5 hours a night. Apparently kids grow out of this and the remainder that carry this disorder into their adult lives are autistic or mentally challenged, which I am neither. My doctor prescribed me clonazepam, which does not work and I'm not taking an addictive, benzodiazepine for the rest of my life.
Does anyone relate to my problem and if so what treatments have worked for you? I'm going to go insane!
yes, my 37 yr. old husband & 7 yr. old daughter sound exactly like you and are both highly functioning, well adjusted individuals! My husband sought treatment 10 years ago ( he also shores loudly & has sleep apnea). The doctors said the rocking & rolling would stop with the use of a c-pap machine (it has not). I swear my daughter started as soon as her neck muscles started to develop. She's healthy in every way but I worry how this is going to affect her. My husband is a nightmare 2 sleep next 2. I constantly nudge him to stop.
Have you had a sleep study? I did not have movements as you describe, but do have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder with very rythmic movements. Also have sleep apnea. It could help to know exactly what you're working with.

To goodshepherd, if your husband is established on cpap for his apnea, it could benefit him to get a repeat study. If a person has multiple sleep disorders, the picture can become clearer after one is therapeutically treated.
Hi, how are you doing? I do understand how frustrating it would be not to get good sleep and the discomfort due to Rhythmic movements like banging head or sometimes limbs during sleep. These movements tend to occur during the stage just prior to falling asleep and typically increase along with stress levels. These are most common among very young children; rhythmic movement disorder is usually followed from a comforting habit, might be one similar to thumb sucking. Children often outgrow the behavior, but if head banging/limb movements present a danger or the activity persists for long time as in your case, it is better to consult a Neurophysician and get evaluated. Most important thing is to overcome the mental and physical stress by doing yoga, meditation, regular stretches/exercises and massage. Take care and keep updating us of your doctor advise.
Sadly, I too have had these problems for as long as I can remember.  When I was an infant, I would get into a doggie style position and bang my head so violently into the wall that I would put holes in the sheetrock.  As I got a little older I would lay on my back and turn my head to and fro also violently.  I had deleloped scabs and then scars on both sides of my chin.  Now I am 47 years old and I lay on my side and rock my legs back and forth to fall asleep.  I am very fortunate to have a wife who understands, she is confused as I am also, but she doesn't let it bother her.  If someone could explain this disorder to me I am willing to post my email address ... ***@****  Thanks for any help.
I am so glad I found this site.  I am 33 years old and I rock back and forth and hum, I do this most of the day, because it is very relaxing, and most of the time I do not know I am doing it unless someone tells me.  I also bang my head, which has changed a little and I rock from side to side to get to sleep.  The only time I bang my head now is when I am sick or really tired.  I never knew there was a name for this, I thought I was the only one in the world, and I was frightened by this, but know that I know there are other people out there, who either want to stop or have accepted this behavior, I feel great.  I do feel alot better about my self.  Thanks so very much!!!
I'm 31 now, used to headroll for about 27 years. Finally I just stopped and it worked. It sure has something to do with soothing, probably ADHD too - I can't really tell. I also suspect it has something to do with early neglet and rejection - this way kids vent their anger and seek attention. Sad, really. It's quite shaming for someone who wants to be the "perfect human being" - it's hard to find any acceptance (especially when you keep it top secret)
hello im an a 12 year old and has suffed this since i could remember and now i it is taking huge effects on me.... im going on a school trip to france soon and i have to share a room with all my friends. I dont know whether to tell them or just stay a wake all night... if any one can help it would save me from bieing the laughing stock of the school
I am 26 and I have this same problem, i lay on my back and rock my head and legs violently back and forth, it use to put me to sleep, now it keeps me awake longer, it also takes about 3 to 4 hours of my night. I have resolved to drinking, which use to help, but now it just makes it worst. Sometimes i can bare sitting still, especially in a strange place, but it torments me. I hope some one finds help for this, ive tried counting sheep and relaxing which works but soon as i fall asleep im awaking with the urge to rock....HELP ME!!!
I Remember being as a very youngchild of around 3, extremely frightened of the loud and violently physical arguments and fights of my parents.Im not sure if head shaking came first or was as a result of these arguments, but it certainly was dual purpose,it blocked out the niose of the violence so I couldnt hear it as well and also soothed me.I carried this well into my late teens,early 20s, until I started to take control of my daily life and realise my potential for life. It was linked with my persnal feelings of inadeqaucy and insecurity.Realising this  enabled me to stop it, but it was  forced and prolinged proceedure, and tok maybe a year in total to stop the "need" to do it.It wasnt easy as I was, in a way, addicted to the soothing feelings it gave me. I have moments to this day however, where I will rock and instantly feel soothed  and Im now 42 years old!. I believe strongly that this is a stress related condition, at the very least for me. Good luck!! Derek, Uk(now norway)
Hey. Im 13 and i unfortunally have the worst type of RythmicMovementDisorder, were i sway 24/7, awake or asleep. Ive got no cure.
If you read the bit about me, it explains everything. Thanks :) x
im 18 years old and have been head banging since i was about 2 or 3 i think maybe younger .. but i bang my head to the beat of music to put my self to sleep which can take up to hours depending on how tired i am .. also if my arms ache i will turn on my back and rock my head side to side i also sometime get on my knees and do it .. it sounds strange i know but until about a year ago i never even new this thing had a name and i thought i was just weird .. i always find my self doing it when im distressed or tired or bored i will just go to my bed put my headphones on and get on with it ... i dont think that there is a cure for it unless you get therapy .. but im so releived to know theres others who suffer aswell
I think my 6 year old son sounds like alot you here I thought he would grow out of it... But not as of yet. Was going to take him to the doctors. But it sounds like that there is not alot they can do for this RMD thing... Can I just ask for prayers since God is the Great Physician. Thanks.
I had absolutely no idea other people had this. I've been "rocking" since I can remember. I would rock so violently on my hands and knees my bed would move around the room. To get me to stop my abusive stepfather would stick pins in my buttocks at the age of 4-5. I would lurch forward hitting my head on the headboard. To avoid the pin I began rocking laterally. I was regularly tormented by my stepfather. My mother finally left the jerk, but suffered a nervous breakdown after he held a gun to her head shortly after leaving.

While staying at my grandparents my grandmother would come in my room to try to shame me to stop. "No one will ever marry you if you keep rocking!" I would keep trying to make as little noise as possible by moving just one leg at a time. In college I would just wiggle my toes (and shake my leg a bit). When no one was around I would rock like mad! It's crazy, but up until recently I would still rock and always shake my legs. My partner is incredibly understanding. I don't think I would be so understanding!

On an related note - I was diagnosed with ADHD last year (2009) at the age of 46 and now take 35 mg of Ritalin per day. My legs don't move nearly as much. My brain is much quieter and I can remember seven numbers forward and backward like most "normal" people. My doc says my ADHD symptoms are almost gone.

Rocking definitely was a self-soothing way to get to sleep. The stress and madness would go away. The chatter in my brain would disappear. Only the rhythm filled my head. My mom said I was not neglected. She said she rocked my and held me often. I don't know what causes this and would love to know. Who of you were abused emotionally or physically, have ADD, ADHD or autism? I'm gay, but I doubt that has anything to do with rocking, but then again my grandmother said I'd never get married...

I'm facinated to learn other people have this condition.

My son is 20 months old and for a while now he has been rocking and banging his head. It usually happenes when he is bored, or drowsy, or asleep in his crib. My fiance and I have become very worried because the banging seems to get louder and louder and we are afraid he might hurt himself. At first his daycare instructor told us he was above average on where he should be for his age but she was very concerned about the rocking and head banging, she kept telling me he could be autistic. I have worked with autistic children and adults for many years and besides the rocking and the head banging he has no other signs. At this point we arent sure what we should do. From what Ive been reading and from what alot of people on here are saying this could be something he could have to deal with for the rest of his life. Does anyone have any techniques or ideas on how to help him to get past this or to help keep him safe???
Thank You,
A VERY concerned Mom
Hi, you may want to discuss this with another Doctor. It sounds like you may be experiencing nocturnal seizures. You may need to under go a sleep study that involves a more in depth look at your EEG activity. Best of luck to you.

Melissa, RPSGT
I have read these testimonies and still cant believe other people have this disorder. The reason I started was a fear of the dark at a young age (maybe around the age of 4). My mother had the same disorder but lucky kicked it before the age of 30. The problem is that it becomes involuntary when I sleep and I have worn down and broken beds. RMD for me includes rolling my body or head back and forth ( sometimes violently) and I rarely make a moaning or humming sound. It has pissed off most of friends when on sleep overs or anyone sleeping next to me. The sensation is complete relaxation and I have become almost addicted to this disorder. I am 20 years old and It needs to stop. Its just too weird.
Ana333, I'd like to stay in touch with you about your son. My son is 3 years and 3 months old. We will have an EEG preformed soon. We don not have a diagnosis of RMD yet, but from what I've read, this is what he has, to a T. It is not really "violent" head banging, but he rocks to sleep and in the middle of the night, and when he wakes up, and in the car. Sometimes on all fours, sometimes just head banging on the pillow or mattress, and always "moaning". We call it his "pow-pow". We are so used to it since he was an infant and kept being told he would grow out of it, but are finally talking to the doctor about what we can find out. Please feel free to e-mail me at ***@****. Thanks!

Stephanie
I'm in total shock! I have a 16 month old son who has RMD and I was told he would grow out of it by the age of 3!!! I'm at the end of my tether as it is and to see people in their 30's and 40's who still have this has made me feel sick. I have had 1 nights sleep since hes been born as the constant banging all night keeps the whole house awake and he does it in the day too.  He's as bright as a button and seems able to function perfectly well on 2-4 hours sleep a night which I find impossible. Is their any hope? and hows he going to be in later life? can anyone recomend a specialist anywhere in the country for me to contact? He's on meletonin drops at the moment but they don't work and I just don't know what to do, any advice or support would be a great help.

Dani
Dani,
There IS hope!!! Most children DO grow out of it by age 3. You still have 20 months before you have to worry. RMD is very normal at 16 months!!!  Even if he were to not grow out of it, RMD is a VERY minor sleep disorder. I've read that it could be assoicated with ADD, but I don't know if that's been proven. It sadden me to read that you feel sick knowing that people have RMD in their 30s and 40s. I kind of feel sorry for you that you can't accept your child's rocking. I'm sure he senses your displeasure and who knows how that will affect him later in life.  I'm curious, does he rock while he falls asleep in your arms?
My 18 yo son has this disorder and has shattered cribs and beds. Last year we stayed in a hotel with tempurpedic type (memory foam) mattresses. He didn't bounce. He now has a memory foam pillow that he takes everywhere he goes. We also put a memory foam topper on his bed. It has really cut down his "bouncing". He has the form of RMD where he bounces his head or bangs his head against the bed. There is no rebound with the memory foam so he bounces much less.
This may not help all of you, but it may help some.
i was also doing like this before going to sleep i move my head to and frow motin it was very relaxing ,and i was having this symptoms from less then one year of my age.to prevent me doing so my parents tooked very harsh decison but i never left it.

TREATMENT-It is not medical one could remove it by making control on himself.people should go to sleep when they really needed otherwise they will passs their time on the bed by doing this
2.these type of people shold be slept in group so that they feel shy about this and they will left i have remove this practice because when i reached to hostel for education then i was being crowded by my friend and then one day without trying much this bad habit left me
I PERSONNALY REQUEST EVERYBODY PLEASE DON,T LEAVE HOPE TRY AND TRY AND U WILL LEAVE THIS BAD HABIT

MY PERSONAL LIFE-I M VERY GOOD IN ACADEMIC I HAVE MANY FRIEND AND IM RESPECTABLE IN THE SOCIETY AND WELL BALANCED IN BEAHVIOUR SO I WOULD REQUEST EVERY PEOPLE PLEASE DO NOT LOOSE HOPE U CAN DO IT U CAN DO IT
I've had this since I was 3 years of age maybe earlier, I'm 23 now. My head banging effects my sleep, has destroyed several of my relationships, caused my family to hate me, made me turn to drugs to try & solve this & pretty much destroyed most of my life.

I found something that helps to stem the regularity & amount of time I do this, not sure if it means anything but it's an illegal drug & gives me a similar comforting feeling to the head banging.

I hope a  GP/Physician/Psychiatrist sees this & can shed some light as to why this specific drug helps, The Drug is MDMA (Ecstasy).
My skills in the english language are quite poor,  but I hope my writing is understandable.

My son, 3,5 yo has RMD. We have done the sleepdeprivated EEG,  the sleepover Video- EEG and a second sleepover to check the breathing in the hospital.
All the tests were OK. Now the neurologists tell us that it it RMD, which we have said all along. It should disappear at the age of 4-5, they say :-)
They  have remitted us to a childrens psychologist and say that RMD is a behavioural problem.

Could anyone with RMD tell me if you experience some kind of pressure to your head.
Is that why you get such a sensation while bangning your head ? Maybe something happened to your head when you were born, which create pressure in your head/brain.
Or do you think its only stress-related ? A kind of way to release stress-related tension ?

Kind regards
Headbangers dad
Stockholm, Sweden

I'm 24 years old, and I'm so relieved to have found this thread. Ever since I was a baby or toddler I've been "rocking," and I didn't think there was a soul in the world I could relate to.
My parents tell me that I broke two cribs with my violent headbanging and rocking (I would get on all fours, and rock back and forth, hitting my head against the crib and shaking the crib so much that the screws came loose).
I don't headbang anymore, but I still rock, and it's really awkward when other people see it.
I sit "Indian-style" (sitting upright on my bed, couch or floor, with my legs folded), and rock slightly back and forth. Sometimes I do it when I'm awake (watching tv, reading, etc), and don't notice it until someone points it out; sometimes I do it before I go to bed (as a comforting thing); and sometimes I do it in the middle of the night WHILE I'm sleeping (which I didn't know I did until I was staying over my aunt and uncle's house, and my uncle came rushing over to me in the middle of the night because i was sitting upright and rocking back and forth!!! -- must've been quite the sight, but he was really scared).
It doesn't really affect my life (I've graduated from college and work two steady jobs), but to my family, it's always been one of my weird "quirks," and I feel somewhat validated that I'm not the only one.

Regarding those who have other diseases/psychological issues: I've suspected for quite some time that I have ADHD (both my brother and mother have it), and I have difficulty concentrating, as well as a very, very bad memory.
this is incredible. i am happy (tho sad too) to see that there are so many of us adults suffering, and i mean suffering, from this disorder. and that there's a name for it! i'm 37 and still rock. i have been tortured by this ever since I can remember, which means I may have started before I could remember. my mother used to tell me that i should stop, over and over again, or put her arm on me to stop me. i developed a complex about it and now at 37 still can't stop, with so much shame about it. i've had periods where it's subsided a bit, with A LOT of effort, but i always start up again. it's literally like being addicted to a drug. I'm a member of AA and also struggled with an eating disorder from about 9-35. no one in my family rocks or has any blatant addictions like i do, so i've always felt a bit of an anomaly. my father was a "ragaholic" which means you never knew when he'd blow up at you, so i'm sure i kept rocking going to calm my nerves as a child, but why i'd start it earlier than that who knows. my sister was very abusive also, so that's probably another reason. my dad also used to whip me and my sister with his belt to "discipline" us. i've gone thru years of therapy and have come out on the other side thank God, but the rocking thing is still there. I actually do the "more rare" (what a compliment, ugh) body rolling thing where I roll my head and body from side to side. i am still single and wonder if it is partly due to some subconscious fear of humiliating myself with a life partner. only 1 of my exes have ever "caught" me doing this and I was utterly mortified. i tried to play it off but i was so humiliated. i really want to be normal and have normal sleep. i've tried sleeping pills but they seem to wake me up in the middle of the night and then I awaken in the morning groggy anyway. plus they're expensive and i really don't want to put chemicals in my body, esp ones that become addictive. i'm so embarrassed to go to a sleep clinic tho, as it doesn't seem like many people even know about this disorder, and i really don't want them to put me thru the battery of tests that other mother's child had to go thru just to tell her what she already knew. i told a therapist once but she had no clue what I was talking about and didn't say much about it. To my knowledge, I don't have ADD or ADHD, but my father does I think, eventho he's never let anyone diagnose him. i love that some people posted that they just forced themselves to stop, but i've tried like i mentioned and can't seem to hold off over the long term. being that there are so many posts here there's GOT to be some way for us to get some trusted medical advice. any ideas who we could contact?
My 8 yr old son has been rocking laterally, head and upper body with the lower body coming along for the ride since we adopted him at age 21 months.  He was in a Russian orphanage and we were shocked the first night he was with us in Moscow when we saw him rock.  He is a very happy, socially well adjusted, smart and extremely popular and handsome boy who was recently diagnosed with ADHD - inattentive type.  He is on 10 mg LA Ritalin and we are gradually increasing melatonin at night, 3 mg x 7 days, then 4.5 mg x 7 days, and going to 6 mg x 7 days.  The Ped Neurologist says if the 6 mg doesn't work then we will go to Klonopin; I don't want to add another drug, but his rocking is very disruptive to my husband and 16 yr old son; I hear him at night but just fall back to sleep.  My husband can't easily fall back asleep and it makes family vacations almost unbearable because dad is so crabby and sleep deprived.  We need a solution besides drugs,  Anyone????
One of the women who posted here is trying to ask the neurologist on this site, but the site keeps telling her it's full. If she gets a reply, she or I will post what the doctor says.

Hi. My 6 yr old son has RMD. Ever since birth he rolled his head to go to sleep. Now he bangs his head, body rocks and moans. I was told for years that he would grow out of it by 3 - 4. Not so. I have researched this intensely, seen various specialists and done various sleep studies an behavioural trials. Nothing works. I have recently heard of 2 children who have responded to the use of a waterbed - not the waveless type, one that moves. Apparently it makes it difficult to get into a rhythm dn can help break the habit. Has anyone out there tried this?
i haven't tried a waterbed but have read in other postings that that helps, esp with the head banging and rocking on the hand and knees. might be worth a shot. so frustrating that there's no cure. i'm thinking of just asking my GP for some sleeping pills, altho i hate the idea.
I've been rocking back and forth before I go to sleep and when I wake since I can remember. I also play music at the same time. It's only a problem when I want to stay in bed and do it, if I don't need to get up I can roll for hours and hours and then feel guilty as it's such a waste of time.
I slept on my friends memory foam mattress and fell to sleep pretty much straight away. I'm going to get one! I find sleeping with a notepad beside my bed really helps. If I start thinking about something I just write it down and tell myself to dismiss it until the morning when I'll have a better mind to deal with it anyway.
It's really not the end of the world. :)
good idea, nat916h. I'm glad you don't think it's the end of the world. I'm trying to get with that concept. wish we could find a doctor who knows of a cure. maybe it's all psychological? I think part of mine is based on fear of falling asleep, but that's only one part. it was a scary situation at home for me so maybe i was "on guard" out of anxiety. who knows.
Hi, I am 26 and have rocked since birth I would move my crib to the other side of the room. It started as head banging, and then turned into rocking, I made myself stop rocking when i was 21. I had attempted to do so, many years prior, I guess it just finally stuck the last time. It wasn't without its hardships though. I did become an insomniac, because i would not go to sleep until I was about to pass out, that way there was no need for rocking. i do not believe it was anything to do with how i grew up. I do remember being very scared of the dark, and my family wasn't perfect. But it seems for me, if I refused to rock, my body would almost ache, everywhere. It was definitely comforting to rock, it soothed my soul, so you could say. So maybe neurological. I also have OCD!

I still enjoy rocking very much, like I am rocking or should I say gliding in my glider right now, my favorite chair! =) Wherever I go, I still choose to sit in something that rocks over not. or I will just sit up and rock. So I guess I still rock all the time, just kicked the habit in bed. And I try not to do it in public. =) I do have restless leg syndrome, and will move my foot from back n forth sometimes. Like I said when I am rocking it soothes my body, and mind I suppose, now that I think of it.

Now, my daughter on the other hand, is 2 years old, started the day she was born. I remember my husband and i where so baffled why she grunted all the time in her sleep. We thought she had colic or respiratory problems. But I know now it is this RMD. she then graduated to sliding her head from side to side rubbing it into the blanket, which was funny to see 2 mo old doing. and then she started destroying her crib slates with her head. she banged so hard, she broke 3 slats, and that was through all the makeshift padding I had done. Thankfully I am a rocker, so i knew more or less this was a comfort thing for her, and there wasn't much to be concerned about, since she never hurt herself, just the bed. haha Her head banging got so bad I figured I would try moving her into a toddler bed early. She couldn't bang into the drywall, so I thought! She had quite a few mishaps with the banging, so much so I thought our neighbor was hammering next store. Low and behold it was my daughters head hitting the wall. But she soon found her rhythm, and stopped head banging for the most part, and would get in the fetal position and roll back n forth. She now has topped all that, by getting on all fours, and grabbing the side of the bed, and bounces up and down very loudly and makes loud noises and talks a bunch, just random stuff. She does all this to fall asleep and when she wakes up in the middle of the night, for anywhere between 30min to 3 hours. (she  also loves to bounce in johnny jump ups it would always lull her to sleep. and now she bounces her bottom on the edge of our love sac (a bean bag couch))

I didn't know until reading about RMD, about the moans, and I wonder if she is asleep, and involuntarily starts it up, or if she wakes up and then does it. This is where I am a little lost because I never rocked to this extent. I go in to try and console her, but it seems to prolong the bouts. So most times I just let her do it. And she seems fine the rest of the day, she just wakes up real late in the morning like 830, or 9. I only intervene, when it has been hours and she seems to be getting louder and more frequent. But like I said it never seems to work, and it seems to take her longer to fall asleep when I do that. she used to wake up in the middle of the night about 3 times a week, but for the last few weeks it has been every night, for hours. Her daytime activities do not seem to affect how she sleeps. She could have had a long busy day full of fun and excitement, or not done too much all day. And still she wakes up and does this. I am just very confused as to why she is doing this, and if it is going to get worse, for her middle of the night bouts?

I have a 4 year old that does not rock, and for our 4 mo old we bought a bouncing hammock in case she had an infinity for rocking, like our 2 year old. So far she is not showing the signs her sister did, so we'll see. it is a amazing how we are all wonderfully and beautifully made. Everyone is so different, yet we are very similar at the same time. I am going to try and switch us to the hallelujah diet, we are practically vegetarians anyway. I hear it can do a lot of good for your body, so we will see if this rocking habit changes or not.

If anyone wants to contact me to discuss RMD, please do! =)
I suggest each of you talk with your doctor about trying a small dose of melatonin to manage RMD. I've seen in work with my adult patients. Also, consider a medication wash if at all feasible. Many medications can disrupt sleep in subtle ways. Best wishes, DrRN
i appreciate your post, ldenham7, and yours, DrRN. i'm happy you were able to force yourself to stop, ldenham7. i do wish there was a cure and more was known about this. DrRN suggests a small amount of melatonin, but i think you can only do that for a measured period of time without the melatonin affecting you adversely, no? I would love to discuss it with my doctor, but i am almost certain anyone i talk to won't have a clue what i'm talking about and just laugh at me, like other people have reported have happened to them. i also think it does go deeper than just taking another drug for it, which seems to be just a band-aid. Or all the sleep techniques, which are wonderful ideas but do nothing for me. Any other doctors out there know something about this?
I have read a lot of adults having this, but what about teens?
Im 16 years old and I have been rocking back and forth violently or more so the older I get since I can remember, I started I think because my sister did it, she has calmed down but I still continue to rock violently and make odd sounds during the night.  I usually lay on my side and start to move back and forth till i fall asleep, is there anything anyone can do for a teen? because whenever I have friends over or at a friends house im scared to fall asleep, and i can say I am immensely relieved to find my sister and I weren't the only ones doing it.
Jasmyn666,
I am happy to hear you are seeking help and not living in a vacuum with this thing either. It is a huge relief to me too to know i'm not a total freak, as I thought it was (maybe just a little bit of a freak!). anyway, i would equate teen rocking the same as adult rocking, but i'm not a doctor. i was a teen once and was rocking too, and now as an adult it's not much different. i'm not sure what the cure is for this but we need a doctor to help us, as we all have the same questions, whether we're a mother of an infant rocking, a teen rocking, or an adult rocking. i too, had the same fear of falling asleep at friends houses as a teen. if that's at all comforting.
Ah thank you for taking the time to read my comment haha.  I do want help, because it's pretty frustrating, and embarrassing.  No one on here is a freak, we all just have it, it's not our fault o.o  I don't think there is a doctor, it seems to me this condition is actually new for study o.o
Wow! It is comforting but yet scary to read all this!

I have a 9 yr old who does the no no rock and also a 20 mnth old who has also done it since birth.
I worry about the 20 mnth old as he badly bruises his ears and face with the cot bashing, he also does it for over an hour per "Session" going to sleep and during sleep, he has also had mild episodes during wake times.
So its safe even at this intensity? I was up crying last night hearing him bashing his head, I try to reposition him and he doesnt wake up when I do, but I cant stop his head, I ve tried to stop it and hold it but I cant its too strong. He also makes moaning sounds or occasionally cries or blows "rapsberries" spits when he does it. It does often appear to be somehting that he doesnt want to do (when hes awake and it happens, often in the cot just before a nap) sometimes it appears to really annoy him, so I dont think its a calming thing for him!
Also he has a tremor (essential tremor) that runs in our family....he is also under watch for developmental issues as I have four others with autism and or intellectual disabilities. SO for his language is amazing though, 4 word sentances at 20mnths. I do still wonder if the head shaking had anything to do with the 9 yr olds intellecutal disability but perhaps not, judging by the amount of people here with it as adults and still neurologically fine!!
Thank you for posting, thebuchans. From what I'm reading on this site it doesn't seem to be an indication of an intellectual disability, as you touched on. So it sounds like that is a bit comforting for you. I'm still at a loss as to a "cure" or even who to go to ; as there doesn't seem to be any specialists for this. If I ever get more "professional" info or leads I'm definitely going to post to help us all out.
I'm so relieved to relieved to find I'm not the only adult with this issue! I've been rocking my entire life. I'm 42 and just decided to start questioning it. My late partner and I slept in seperate bedrooms due more to the fact we worked conflicting shifts which had the benefit of me not rocking me out of the bed. I returned a memory phone mattress as my back was a complete mess as I tried to rock against it! I was diagnosed with type 2 bi-polar over 15 years ago. Otherwise I'm a healthy, functional employed and high IQ tested individual. My biggest fear now is that I'm begining to become seriously involved with another man and the two bedroom set up is not an option. When we are in the same bed I'm terrified and lay frozen and can't sleep without lorazapam.
my husband rocks in his sleep every night, hes being doing this since he was a child. he said his childhood was not a happy one but is not sure if that had anything to do with it. he also grinds his teeth and the mouth guard he got for that looks like the dog has chewed it. he had a limb amputated 20 years ago and he had another op on his stump last year which has left it with increased nerve damage. the stump shakes and kicks out every night and that upsets his rocking which is the only thing that helps him get to sleep. i cant stay in the bed with him all night so i usually get up and go to another room. hes also on medication for depression so i wonder will he ever be able to get help for all the problems he has. i wonder is all of this stress related because he wasnt bad at all a few years ago but now things are just getting worse. he went to a neurologist for a nerve blocker but that didnt work. some nights he rocks so hard i think hes going to take off and he says he doesnt realise hes doing it. anyone else the same?
well I have had rmd for a very long time, it also effects me when I drive...this only happens when i dont get enoght sleep or have had a stressful day.  I am aware of my movements and try to "ROCK" myself awake so I can try to get out of the bed
now that I just roll with it I don't get scared anymore.  I know now that I will eventually wake up.  One thing over the
years, I have leatned a few thing to help:
1) keep a Coke in the fridge...after one of my events I try to get up out of the bed and drink a coke.  It seems to help.(if I dont get up it just starts again)
2) when I am stressing...I make sure I go to bed early
3) I tell familiy if they hear me moaning and rolling in the bed to gently wake me up
4) no driving when I am tired.....I have had a couple of shaky movements while driving when I am tired and have not had any sleep for over 12 hours
Me and my identical twin sister both suffer from RMD. Apparently we have done it since birth practically. We use to bang our heads against our pillows while laying on our stomachs. My sister use to hit her head against the wall constantly until out parents woke her up. We use to rock to and fro while humming loudly. Luckily we both have quit humming now and just rock ourselves to sleep. But we're 19 now and STILL do it. Sometimes its the only way for me to get to sleep and other times it keeps me awake for my mind to wander. Sleeping with anyone but my sister is aggrivating because i'm very self conscious about it so I will try not to rock. But then I get this unconfortable tightening in my legs and I toss and turn constantly. We both are well functioning individuals and i was even placed in accelerated classes throughout school. What do we do?
I am a 50 year old female who has been "rocking" myself to sleep for at least the last 28 years. I thought it began when I got a waterbed at age 22. Now, I believe I was rocking before that and didn't know it. When not rocking, I was a foot tapper and for years, I had rocking chairs in every room because I could not sit still. The foot tapping has gone away and I no longer need the constant movement of the rocking chairs. However, I do rock myself to sleep almost nightly. I would like to participate in a sleep study as I sleep 10 to 12 a night, but rarely feel rested.
My 3 1/2 year old son has RMD. He started rocking, and head banging just after his first birthday. I keep thinking he will grow out of it but I feel like it is getting worse. He HAS to rock before he falls asleep and when he is "waking" up. I hear him chant and sing too. One night while I was watching him rock himself to sleep I asked him why he does that. He replied in the cutest little voice, "It helps me sleep". I do worry that he does not get enough quality sleep as he is really tired and grumpy in the morning and seems to rock all night long.

I have found it interesting to read all the previous comments from this community. Some are reassuring and some are frightening. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It struck me that some of you believe this could have come on with stress/neglect/or abuse. My son did have a series of seizures that started the day he had his one year old shots. This put him in the hospital for three days where he screamed in pain the entire time. It was very traumatic for all of us. He recently found out he also has an anxiety disorder called selective mutism where he will not speak unless he is comfortable in his environment. My doctors think it could be autism but I just don't know.
I'm 36 years old and role by head back and forth while trying to get to sleep. I don't do this all the time, but I would say most of the time. It doesn't really bother my wife too much. She has grown accustomed to it. I always wondered what the hell was wrong with me. Now that we're having a baby in November, I'm wondering if he will have this problem as well. Upon reading the previous posts, I see that RMD can be much more severe than my experience with it. This past year I have been trying to cut down on the rocking. I guess it's something like trying to kick drugs. At this point, I think I'm ready to consult a professional about this. It's strange that I am 36 years old and this is the first time I attempted to google my condition. I guess I was afraid of what I would find. I think I'm glad I did this because now I realize I am not the only one. For some reason, this makes me feel better.
I am 39 year old and have been rocking since I was a baby.  When I was young, I rocked in order to get to sleep.  As a child one of my biggest fears was that a stranger would come into my room during the night.  When I heard noises during the night I would rock faster thinking that whoever got into the house wouldn't come near me.  My rocking as a child was severe enough that when I got up in the mornings, my hair was one big knot.  It would take up to 30 minutes to get all the knots out of my hair.  As an adult I don't rock nearly as bad and I don't rock myself to sleep like I used to.  I fall asleep laying still, but during the night I start rocking.  I also snore most nights, grind my teeth most nights, moan and talk on occassion.  I don't feel like I get much sleep during the night.  My husband has been suggesting a sleep study, but I've resisted doing it.  I really don't want strangers seeing what I do in my sleep.  However, lately I am thinking I should do it because I desperately want a good nights sleep.  Its a shame that there doesn't seem to be a cure for this.
I finally stopped banging and rolling my head on the pillow when I was 30, when I met my then-husband. What started when I was a baby continued until it gradually tapered off (particularly when I had roommates, I didn't want to do it, but when I was living alone, I reverted back to it). It became a soothing habit anytime, day or night, and I would do it in the morning before school, in the afternoon after school, in the evening when I was procrastinating about doing homework, and at night before falling asleep, usually listening to the radio. In short, I did it for hours every day for decades! I didn't do it to get attention, but I had a lot of bottled-up energy and anxiety inside, and it became a vicious habit. The urge to do it was constantly there, and it was difficult to wean myself away from it. I haven't done it since I was 30, and I'm thankful for that. I also didn't realize that there are so many people similar to myself. In my family, growing up, it was just understood that that's what I did, no questions asked, and nothing was done about it. But that was many years ago, and today people uncover issues a lot easier.

Thanks for the many comments on here - I'm not alone after all!!!

I have the same issue. I did it when I was in the orphanage, from what my parents told me after they looked at my birth certificate. Now, I've been developing some problems, from this... I think. It could be something else. When I rock to my music, I sometimes see double-vision on my iPod. Could that be because of rocking? I've been also getting headaches on random places of my head. My doctor told me I needed to isolate myself from caffeine. That's what's been causing my headaches, from what she told me. I also see electric dots floating everywhere at night, too. Sometimes, when I look at the clear sky, I see clear dots floating. Could that be because of my rocking, or just bad vision. I do wear glasses, and I am 19. As I rock, I sometimes see flashes of light. Please fill me in.
I am another adult (42) who has had this all my life.  I bang my head most nights and always have.  To those with kids who are really worried about them, bless you - but at least in my case, it really hasn't effected my life very much, so I think as afflictions go, it isn't so bad.  And to those feeling embarrassed to sleep with someone else, I understand - but the people in my life have always been supportive (curious, but understanding).

At one point in my life, I did get a waterbed - but it didn't "fix" me. It did seem to require a specific "rhythm", but I seemed to be able to find it.  And then my banging became very loud and would wake my parents on the other side of the wall - which they would then bang on and wake me up. heh. I didn't mind being woken up so much, but it is uncomfortable trying not to bang my head when my body wants to.

I feel sad that this has effected some people here in negative ways - and I am also saddened that some fear what others will think. For me, it has not been a detriment - in fact I think a part of me feels sorry for those who can't feel the simple joy of rocking or the release experienced by banging their heads.

Good luck everyone!
Ahh ok here goes-  Im  a 24 year old female. when i was younger i used to bang my head into a pillow for hours until i fell asleep every night. i knew it wasn't normal but i couldn't help it. my parents used to think i was possesed . i couldn't stop- when i tried i would kick one of my feet. i did this until my teens. Now when i moved out with my now husband at 18 it was so enbaressing that i tried to stop, but couldn't so i turned to rocking on my side back and forth. Also constant rubbing my feet together if not rocking. It never really bothered him anyway just always wondered why and what was wrong with me. i just told him i couldn't help it-  now at 24 i have a 2 year old daughter. i've been having health issues since i've had her.  i've been going to the doctors and seeing a neurologist for RLS (which is what i thought it was through out my hole life ive had leg issues  aches and "growing pains") . since it is a constant urge to more. but.. reading all theses post makes me believe that i have RMD  along with RLS ( which the medicine ropinirole has been working for my aches and pain in my legs.) But i continue to rock - sometimes i try and test myself to see how long i can go without moving- but it never is long. its like i don't even think about it , just happens. My husband gets annoyed sleeps on the couch most of the time.  It annoying because i cant fall asleep without doing it and then when i wake up for the baby i have to do it more. . Im tired of doing it . i feel like maybe i'm burning to many calories during the night - i'm so skinny. My husband was telling me the other day that i still bang my head every now and then in my sleep. i'm a normal young women i have never injured myself doing this,  i always thought it was just me and now come to find out that it is a disorder put a lil hope towards finding something to help me STOP MOVING - i'm so tired of doing this. i don't want my daughter to do this either- I am going to the neurologist soon to talk about this - i should have mentioned it to him before but i thought it was just me and RLS.. no one knew but me my parents and husband - Im going crazy - need a normal nights sleep -  Amanda
hi,  ok, here's my story........

my son started to 'rock' when he was 3 months old, (we already had a 2 year old ) or at least that's when we first noticed it.  The first place I noticed him moving his head back and forth and side to side is when we would put him in his baby swing.... and away he would go..... Then he started rocking while he was in his crib .. he would lay on his back and roll side to side alllll night long.  He would also stand up as soon as he could (apx 11 months old) and hold on to the side of the crib and move his body forward and backwards while moving his head from side to side.... he would bang his crib against the wall all night long... we ended up bolting he crib to the floor and also against the wall.  Well he rock-n-rolled so hard that he litterally ripped the crib from it's bolts and the crib fell apart....

So at 18 months old and having gone through 2 cribs, we decided we would put him in a toddler bed... this had it's own problems of corse with such a young baby, but at least the banging of the crib stopped !!  So I ended up sleeping with him every night until he fell asleep... and he would rock everynight to get to sleep and I just held him and comforted him ..

Well he has rocked every night since that time when he was a baby and he also started humming very loudly !!!!!  he would also rock a bit when he was in the car, but the worst was always when he was sleeping or semi-sleeping I guess.... and he did it before going to bed, many many many times during the night and again when he was waking up.

We finally found a sleep clinic and they told us it was RMD and he would grow out of it... that didn't happen.  they also told us to try a metrodone (used in music), that didn't work, they told us to get him a rocking chair, that didn't work either.

I was very patient with him since the beginning, my husband wasn't as understanding as he though that our son could just 'stop'.  So my husband would yell at him to be quiet,  My son would stop for like 2 minutes and then just start back up again. My husband would yell into him several times a night to be quiet...... It was terrible... my son humming, my husband yelling to be quiet... alllllll night long over and over and over the same thing.

We were at our wits end as we we would never get a full nights rest.  Many nights we were up all night long, totally sleep deprived, just laying there listening to him rock n roll n hum like crazy..... and there was nothing that would or could make him stop.  We were going crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really know how we were getting through it.

When my son turned 5 years old we had built a new house and that helped a little bit because the house was bigger than our wee little house we had before.  We put each boy in their own room and we could shut the door and he wouldn't be as loud.  But trust me, we could still hear him..... all night long......

My son is now 16 years old and we have since built an additional room on the other end of the house and this is his new bedroom ........ AHHHHH for the first time in 16 years we can sleep un-interupted all night long !!!!!!!!  He still rocks n rolls n hums like crazy but we can't hear a thing and it's the best thing ever !!!!!!!   We get sleep and he gets to relax and do his thing without us saying all night long "stop it" a hundred times a night.  So I beleive he is even getting a better sleep.

Not to mention, he really likes his privacy ... cuz after we tell him to go to bed, he will continue to play his video games well into the night and we never know, cuz we can't hear it !! lol  

Other than the RMD, he is a a typical teenage boy, he's loud, mouthy, hates homework, loves video games, loves his cell phone, and just likes to have fun with his friends.  

I'm sorry this was so long, but this has been a long long journey and it's my journey, his adult journey with RMD has not yet even begun.

thank you.
MRM

To all of you who suffer from this condition, I have some experience.  RMD is a coping skill to help deal with stress and is usually learned at an early age. I am a 36 year old male and have rocked on and off, all my life.  In my case, I started when I was 4-5 years old to deal with an abusive childhood.  I suggest seeing a Psychologist and ask to be checked for Fibromyalgia, a condition in which stress causes pain.  Not a lot is known about this condition and there are many levels of severity.  I am taking Cymbalta and it has lowered my anxiety and stress as well as my FM and RMD symptoms.  I rock less when I stress less.  I hope this helps.  
I have learned so much in the past year in trying to help myself.  It can be frustrating when doctors don’t understand.  It takes an experienced M.D/P.H.D. with PTSD experience to spot Fibromyalgia and most people who suffer, do so in silence.  I was diagnosed after a severe accident that happened 10 years ago that caused my pain to increase.  It may not register as pain to the sufferer because of early onset.  My parents would also try to punish me for rocking and humming.  Taking away my radio or humiliation and restriction and it DOES NOT WORK.  It only causes more stress which increases the urge.  Drugs and alcohol make it worse.  Sleep is critical to a healthy existence.  If not treated, it may get worse.  Learning to manage stress is important.
I'm 33yrs old and have recently discovered that there was a name for what i've had all my life. Since I was able to hold my head up as a child in a crib I'd bang my head on a pillow face first or in the mattress as I got older I started to rock back and fourth in the car while music played so people thought I was just going with the beat of the music because this is a very embarrassing disorder and hard to explain to anyone without getting a laugh or a look like you have issues. I began to surpress it as I got into my teens and when I couldn;t do it because I was around people I began to shake my leg non-stop... If I have someone in the bed I shake my leg to go to sleep but  to truly sooth me I have to be banging my head into pillow face first and have realized if I go days without doing it I become in a very bad mood... I'm posting this because I don't know what to do now. My neck muscles are shot... I'm in so much pain but I can't stop. I can go hours and hours doing it and realized I do this when Im under stressed and almost meditation for me but physically its hurting me now :( I don't believe in taking pills for the rest of my life for this.. What is the true cause and this is like a drug to me... I feel addicted :O(

Liz
I have read all the posts on this forum and I am just like alot of you.  I am a 36 year old male and have rocked and hummed in bed, preferably to music and I do it to relieve stress and pain.  I’ve been hiding it and denying it all my life and have avoided long term girlfriends because of fear of getting caught.  It wasn’t until 2 years ago that, like some of you, couldn’t take it anymore.  The pain in my back, neck and hips was becoming intolerable.  I got lucky and found the right help.  A Psychologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia after a severe accident.  It terrified me at first.  As I learned more about the condition and that it is treatable, it gave me hope and what I’ve been looking for all my life.  Answers.  I’m happy to say that through treatment, I have identified the triggers that stress me out and better ways to handle them.  I have been tested and my I.Q. is well above average..so I’m not retarded.  Smart people see shrinks.  The key is finding the right one.  Some things that I have also found helpful are rocking chairs, hammocks, and balance exercises such as Yoga or Pilates, surfing, slow music and meditation.  Stretching and exercise.  When I’m having a bad day I take some pain medication and sleep aids like Ambien but I try to make it a last resort.  I hope this is the Christmas present that helps someone else.  Let us know.  Below are my previous posts.

I forgot to add that Doctors thought I had ADD, ADHD, Hyperactive, Restless Leg Syndrome, Severe Depressive Disorder and I'm sure there are some "Practicing" doctors and psychologists that would call me bypolar or some other crap.  EErrR Wrong...It's Fibromyalgia.
My son who is 3 now, and doesnt show any signs of stopping, does this. I feel horrible because i think i caused it. He used to sleep fine until he was 1 year old and i took his pacifier away. cold-turkey. He started rocking immediately to soothe himself since he had no binky. I thought i was doing him better for the sake of his new teeth to take it away, but instead i might have created a problem for him that may last a lifetime. I feel so incredibly guilty.
To the parents out there that are worried about their children..please don’t stress.  It dosen’t help.  I am not a Doctor.  Just some suggestions but try warming up your child’s bed at night or light back, neck and head massages.  Soft and easy.  Quiet music.  For some reason, Kearth 101 oldies helps me.  Avoid loud noises and No Yelling, especially in anger.  Try and find a source of fear in your child’s life.  Maybe it’s the dark.  I was scared to get up and pee and would rock back to sleep.  If you are tense and anxious, don’t pass it on incessantly by over rocking.   Most importantly, don’t stress.  Given my limited credentials, I am happy to help answer questions about myself if it helps any of you.  RockerRon
Most Important...Don't Ever Ever Ever Hit Your Child.
I am from Bulgaria and here i could not find any info about people with the symptoms of my 2 y.o. son....untill i found you. I am in stress. Still does not no should i be happy that it is not just him or to worry, because according most of you it could continue to the end of his life.
Well, my son started this a month ago. He used to listen Rock music (Bon Jovi is his favourite) and was rocking a lot just before going to bed. So, when he started rocking in his sleep i was thinking that this is because of the music (he talkes in his sleep and moves a lot in general). I did not pay much attention. But day my day he continue doing it, even when we stopped the music. He rockes against the pillow at the beggining in his sleep (when is not fallen asleep deep), also when is moving and does not sleep well, or before to wake up in the morning. Never do it during the day or during his afternoon sleep. Sometimes when i put a hand on his head he stops moving it but starts with his leg, other time he does not stop at all. If i leave it this rocking could continue a couple of minutes but becomes stronger. He does it only when he lies on his tummy, never when sleeps on his back. He does not moans, just hit his head against the pillow. We are going to take him to the doctor soon. Could you give me any idea what kind of check-ups we have to do?
Forgot to mention, that he does not live in stress. We have never ever yelled at him or beat him. He is normal in each other way, very happy, sociable child, who lives in great environment.
hi,  I took my son to a sleep disorder clinic and they knew exactly what it was and expected him to grow out of it... that didn't happen.  They may want to do a sleep study on him or may just give him meds.  They will probably want you to try a metradone (probably spelled wrong), it's a music ticker thing.  good luck.  My son is 16 and 'rocks' and maons like crazy.  He has recently been listening to loud rock music in his room and it seems to sooth him and he doesn't rock as much.  Maybe music is the answer ?? :)
Hi all I have this problem too. As a child it involved head banging, as a teenager leg banging, and now it's leg and feet wiggling from side to side. I have been prescribed mirapexin which isn't working at all. Is there anything else I can try. It's nor a problem in my eyes as I'm addicted to doing it and find it soothing, it's my wife next to me who suffers. Any ideas??? Andy, Brighton.
Hi there, i am so glad i found this site,i don;t feel like im on my own.i have twin girls who are 11 since one of them was about 6 months old she has 'rocked',well that's how i used to describe it,now its body thrashing!!
she has done this almost every night since that age.i too was told when she was 5 that she would probably grow out of it by about 8 years old.this hasn't happened in fact if anything she has become worse,she will sit up in bed and thrust back and forth slamming her head on the matress,as she is now getting bigger it has started causing more problems,she wakes up with nose bleeds now and sometimes bangs her  head nose on her knee causing it to bleed.i don't feel she gets enough sleep and have noticed a difference since she started senior school in september,her concentration level is very poor,and with exersise she gets tierd very easily.both my twins had heart problems when they were only 1 n 2 yrs old,the twin tha has the sleep disorder still has a murma.
i too have spent so so many sleepness nights with it and i do sympathise with people,i feel like im against a brick wall trying to get help,ive researched this on the net and keep coming up with rythmatic movement disorder,i printed it off and took it to see her pediatrician who reluctantly wrote to a sleep specialist in august 2011 for some help,we are still waiting to here from him.
my daughter is aware of this now and knows it wakes her up on a night,we bought her and her sister a double bunk bed last year,she sleeps on the bottom double bed so she had plenty of room,the springs have now started to come through it after less than a year,i dont know what else i can do,she too like the young lad who wrote on here is worried about school trips ect,not so much people laughing at her but at scaring people,it is very very violent  when she does it and for some poor girl to be woke up to seeing it isn't nice,and of course not nice for my daughter.
im saddened to hear that there doesn't seem to be much help out there for people with this,ive seen a phsichologis when she was little and wev'e been through all the keeping calm,making sure she doesn't think she's bad ect,she's from a happy loving home,she has 2 loving parents and 2 sister,granparents,we are all very understanding.doesn't matter if she's had a calm relaxing night with me chilling watching tv and having a massage,to having a bit of a stressful day!!!! she still thrashes every single night.
the more i read about this the more interested i am in trying to seek help,not only for my daughter but for others as well,
im sorry it's a long post but i wanted people to hear my story n hopfully have someone that understands,or even to meet someone who can help?
thanks for reading,
davinia
Whenever you have too much stress you end up doing it. It's associated with Aspergers Syndrome and infants being left alone without being held. It's a coping tool used developed to let you live through the day without going completely nuts.

There is no way you can completely remove this from your life, but there are things you can do to stop it. RMD can come back when the stress is too much to handle.

Take the steps below.

1. Work yourself silly, until you have no energy to swing your head
2. Keep yourself away from music, especially whilst sleeping. RMD and music work hand-in-and.
3. Talk through your problems, don't let them pile
4. Force yourself not to do it, if you feel like doing it don't, prefer to go to sleep
5. Have something good to luck forward to in the day, for me it was hot baths, don't sleep in!
5. If you have energy, even a little bit, WORK! then WORK some more!

If you have no energy to do this then you won't. I too have had this problem and I stopped it at 19. I then do it on and off whenever stress levels are too high. This year I've done it for about 3 days, so it's not completely bad. It's very addictive and this can easily destroy your life and during the day your asleep and when your doing it in your sleep you're wide awake.
Hello..
My daughter has been rocking since she could get up on
All fours..
She ruined her crib and toddler beds from rocking..
I always knew it was her way of comforting herself..
She does have ADD, however does not have any
Other known disorders that were aware of
And functions that of any normal 16yr old..
She still rocks to this day, however usually to music on her
Bed or couch..and definitely not in front of most
People..she does get embarrassed when she's making to much noise or
Disturbing us and when tell her to stop..
I feel that she will do this all her life, I just hope she can
Control it most of the time..
hey all, i'm 30 years old and always used to bang my head as a child, as I grew into my teens I would do it to music. I was never asleep and fully concious I was doing it I just found I couldn't sleep unless I was doing it, I was even embarrassed about my parents finding out even though they probably knew, I'd try and do it quietly! Well I joined the Army when I was 19 and kind of forced myself to stop due to being in a shared room and not wanting to look like a odd! I still tend to shake my leg and rub my feet together but its better than head banging. I also struggle to sleep unless I have music or TV on which goes down a treat with the wife! I also used to sleep walk alot when I was younger! anyway it's nice to know I'm not some weirdo! I'm pretty content and have it all under control now mainly due to being forced to stop the compulsion
As long as I can remember I have been rocking my head while laying down,rocking my body while sitting and sometimes rocking while walking.I find I also make rhythmic sounds which sooth me.(kind of like a chant)or I will sing a song I know over and over.
I am not mental ill in anyway.I am now 36 yrs old and still do this daily.Some days it is consuming and I can't really function properly(must sit down after a bit due to the urge to rock)So yes i do have RMD.I have never went to a Dr.for this for fear of emberasment.I am sure my parents must of thought I was ill as a small child.My wife is the only other person who knows I do this apart from my family.I would love answers????
I am 19 and rock side to side almost all day when I am not focused on something. All my friends point it out and think its weird I am prescribed to Zoloft for depression from post traumatic stress disorder from an issue when I was little. What is wrong with me? Why do I rock back and forth.
MY son who is six is doing just the same as you all describe,he also flaps his hand during the day more so when he is tired,we are trialling him on Gabapentin (200mg per night) which has cut his movement time down drastically, would be keen to hear if anyone else has tried this medication.We have been working with specialist doctors for two years to no avail.
I rock back and fourth while listening to music. As a child, I would sit on my knees and bang my head (rocking) into the side my bed, or onto a pillow. I would do this anywhere - on anything, so long as it was not a 'solid' object. I would also use my legs, but the 'sensation' was never the same. It complimented rocking-motion. As such, hitting my head/violence stopped because that was not pleasuring - the residual sensation was.

Now 26, I refined this motion and do this periodically, but it's when I'm listening to music and not hitting my head on anything. I actually study while doing this and it is possibly one of the greatest acts of euphoria anyone can experience - I wish others could feel what I feel when i do this. The thoughts that go through my head are crazy, but they are always 'positive' in nature. Whether I'm doing something I've always wanted to do, or reflecting on a situation - the environment and 'zen' is positive.

The thing is, I find myself completely relaxed, revitalized and satisfied. I worry if this result follows some type of brain-damage (Shaking for hours), but the sensation follows a benefit that I cannot measure.

I am an accountant and believe I'm more intelligent than most people. This is what I do and I am ashamed of it because people will never try to understand: they will judge negative stereotypes associated with someone rocking back and fourth.
I also want to add that for concerned parents, try leaning them towards non-violent rocking.

Get them on music and somehow teach them to just rock without the physical impact. Everyday I ponder how more intelligent I could have been if I did not hit my head as a child.

I have been searching for a way to stop for most of my life.  Working myself to exhaustion works but not always.  I found reading the Bible before bed and finding insperational quotes to think about while drifting off to sleep help.  I pray to God for calm and it's been working.  Try giving your anxiety to the Lord and he will help you.  If you have drifted away from faith like I did or have never been a believer, it's okay.  His arms are always open to you.  Jesus loves you.  Try it.  It won't hurt, but do it with sincerity.  Rid yourself from the demons that want you to stay awake.  God bless you all.
Please understand that Jesus loves you all... I have found calm and peace in following the word of God.  There is salvation in the Lord.  Read the Bible before you sleep.  Satan will flee.  He loves attacking you at night.  That evil *******!,.. Pray for what you need and God will listen.  Pray.  It helps me.  I have rocked, banged and hummed all night and every night and faith has helped me.  Go to a church that you feel connected with.  You are smart...use it.. Phychologists didn't help me and antiphysicotic medication and drugs that become addictive did not help me and made it worse.  Stay sober and in touch with the word of the Lord.  
I have been a rocker all my life. My brother also is a rocker and as a child a serious head banger, how he did not hurt his head is a complete mystery. Who knows the basis for this condition, all I know is that the rhythmic movements were so and still are so soothing that to me I can not comprehend that more people dont get it. There is so much we learn as children that is instinctive and that people have continued to enjoy this into adulthood in my opinion is beautiful, this is an action which rather than being discouraged but if predisposed to should be enjoyed. We are so conditioned as to what is acceptable and unacceptable that we forget the very roots of our behaviour and reactions. Who knows the basis for this so called "disorder"  for me it has never been as "disorder" but a very comfortable coping mechasnism for sleeping.
Please dont feel the need to put your kiddies on drugs for what is entirely a natural condition. How awful to do this when it is a response so natural and entirely holistic. You should embrace any child's predisposition regardless of differences.
I do believe it is a STRESS related issue......I am 45 and turning 46 this month and the more stress I do have it is worse, I mean hours of it along with the humming. Just worring to much and thoughts running threw my head of all the stressful things I am going through. I dont believe it ever goes away and if it has for me its because I dont want my partner to know and its hard for me to fall asleep without doing it. I hope the best for all however I believe there is no cure for it. Take care.
I recently overcame this addiction at 29 years old.  It started out as head banging on a couch and rocking before I fell asleep.  As I grew up, I became ashamed of it and only did it behind closed doors.  I would stand up in my room, listening to music and rock the day away.  This became painful, causing problems with my knees, back and neck, however that didnt stop me.  When my body couldn't take the standing method anymore, I got a chair that spins and was able to emulate the sensation sitting down.  Eventually it began taking over my life, I couldn't stop thinking about it, I would skip class, leave work, leave anything to just rock.  I would often space out in social situations because it was on my mind.  It also led to other addictions because they helped me avoid thinking about it.  I never spoke about it or even looked it up until after I had overcome it, I guess because it was so embarresing.  But like I said, I did overcome this addiction and if you would like to know how please email me at ***@****.  I feel for all of you who are suffering with this, it was horrible and made me feel so alone.  I can't believe some people are saying that it can't be beat, that was not my experience.  I have always had ways to avoid rocking, like being around people or keeping busy, but that just led to other addictions and never stopped the feeling of needing to do it.
Can't leave my email I guess, so message me.
I was a rocker as a child and young adult. I destroyed a few beds with the violence of my rocking, and I understand I kept the whole house up all night with my disorder. My father nicknamed me "Bomber" because he thought we were being bombed by the Japanese. I shared a room with my brother, and he said my rocking helped him fall asleep. Thank God he told me that, or I'm sure I'd have been a wreck thinking I was being a bother.
My college roommate said I occasionally rocked in my sleep but he had no problem with it. Since then it's tapered off. I'm 46 now and occasionally wake up rocking if I'm stressing about something. I've also noticed I wake up rocking when my Mother is nearby. If I'm visiting her, or when she's visited me. I love my Mom, but I don't know what this is about.
I'm a very light sleeper and any noise keeps me from sleeping fully through the night. I thought everyone slept like me, but since I've been taking Ambien, I've learned what a full night's sleep is like, and I love it.
I associate my sleep disorder (very light sleeper) with my rocking and I've been able to manage it with a few simple tricks.
Ear plugs are great, they take time to get used to, but the sound in your ears can be pleasing, and I rest assured that no sounds will wake me after I fall asleep. Ambient sounds from a sony dream machine or ipad app (called Ambience) does a great job. I can choose the sounds I want to listen to and put them together as if in a playlist and it will go all night. The sounds I like are rain, water lapping on a beach, and a lawnmower running in the distance. Also Melatonin and Valerian root are relaxing, and as I mentioned, Ambien.
I also sleep better when I'm worn out from exercise, and have become a runner, and long distance cyclist.
I hope this info helps. I'm pleased to read that I'm not the only one out there who rocks. If it makes anyone feel better, I learned that Author David Sedaris has this same affliction. Rock on!
I'm not the one who is rocking, my boyfriend is, and sad to say I'm not getting any sleep.  This is a bit frustrating for both of us.  I've read all the threads and understand what the underlying problem can be, but please if there's someone out there to give us some suggestions to try and overcome this together, not drift further apart??
When such a thing happens with me I get full anger and also gets very anxious. My doctor says that such rhythmic movement disorder is also a main cause of sleep disorders? Is that so?
Omg im not alone! As a child i used to beat because i banged my head! And now i just found out it aint just me. I don't understand, i cant live with this anymore, i thought it would go, but one day it just came back, i tried not drinking anything before i went to sleep and it worked for a while, but now its back! If someone out there knows how to cure this please help!!
I am an Australian mum (or mom!) of a beautiful 7 1/2 year-old girl who has rocked since 4 months of age. She gave up her dummy (binky) voluntarily one day and just started to turn her head from one side to the other quite gently, but rhythmicly. Our doctor and the early childhood nurses assured us that this was fine. She had learnt to self-settle and we should be happy that she could now put herself to sleep! We were, but I could not help being a little unsure that this was all ok!
The head-turning became head-rocking, and then this became upper-body rocking, to and fro. As a toddler she started to make a humming noise as well, and began bashing against the wall. My husband has found this disruptive to his sleep, as he finds it hard to re-settle once woken. I am lucky that I am a fairly heavy sleeper, and get back to sleep quite easily. My husband has slept in another room now for about 3 years. It does cause tension and tiredeness in our house.
Our daughter is also a bed-wetter, and can't seem to stay dry EVER. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as well? She is also quite a distractable child, and we are getting her assessed for ADHD when we see a peadiatrician in a week and a half. We hope to address all of the issues, and to see what can be done to improve all of our lives! Her school results have really been affected this year, and we are determined to get to the bottom of things. Is she distracted because of poor sleep and tiredness? or is the RMD a symptom of ADHD? And how does the bed-wetting relate (if at all??).
I have to add that she is a truly delightful, kind, imaginitive child, who brings a happy outlook and sweet nature to our lives. She is bright and so full of potential and we just want to help her to have the best life that she can. I don't feel that there is anything WRONG with her. Just that there a couple of issues that we can work on. To all the other rockers out there - this mum loves her little rocker regardless of the lost sleep and frustration that might be caused sometimes. I know she can't help it, and I'm sure you would all stop if you could!
Here's hopimg we all find the answers we are looking for, as well as acceptance and understanding from those around us.
best wishes to all :)
Hello

I am 24 years old and ever since I was able to crawl I have rocked like all fours back and forth repeatively hitting my head off my arm but I must have trained myself to do that because as a child from what my mother has told me I was taken out of my cot due to severely hurting my head and causing major bleeding because I was hitting me head of the bars and wall. As a adult I find it very difficult to sleep if I don't rock. If I go to sleep with or without rocking I find myself waking up hours later with pain in my legs as iv been rocking for so long iv cut of the circulation in my legs. I have gone to see my local GP and sw has referred me to the neuroscience department a James cook hostipal Middlesbrough England as I don't know where you are based. as he has never come across this before and was concerned abit the damage it could be cause to my head and brain.

I will write back after the appointment on 6/9/12 with what they say.
Our 3 year old son seems to have RMD!  He sits up and bangs his head against the wall (it started in his crib from 6 months)! He has rubbed a patch of hair of the back of his head (we get asked about it all the time)!  He does it to fall asleep, if he wakes in the night and when he wakes in the morning (sometimes 6am or earlier)!  It's very loud (sounds like a jack hammer) and wakes my husband and I up!  We have recently propped up ANOTHER very thick foam mattress against his wall (he now has 2) to cushion the sound which seems to be working (he used to be able to still make a loud noise with one mattress)!
We were told he would stop after a certain amount of time but after 2.5 years he shows little sign of stopping!  
A friend told us about a possible link with Additive 160b (also called Annatto, Bixin or Norbixin it's a 'natural' yellow food colouring) which can cause head banging.  It can be in cheese, margarine, snack foods, beverages, cereals and yoghurt! From peoples comments when 160b has been eliminated from their diets the head banging has all but stopped!  I've looked at what he's eating but can't find anything with this additive in it but wonder if it started when he was younger and was having baby yoghurt which contained the additive and now it's just become a habit!
Tomorrow we are going to a Naturopath to see if he can suggest anything!  Drugs are definetly not an option so we are looking at other possible causes and solutions!  
I've had this since I was born. So did my uncle. He taught me that if I lay on my stomach and roll one of my legs that it helps with the need to have to do it. I did that when I was younger at spend the night parties. I am now 28yrs old and I do this for hours to go to sleep. It's so relaxing. I actually go to bed early to do it and stop during the day when I'm home to go to my bed and do it. Music has to be on too. So glad to hear others have it too and I'm not alone.
I am 46 and have symptoms of RMD (Rhymic Movement Disorder). I appreciate your sharing.  I appreciate the fact you got help and explained how you have been helped. I want to bring the ADD issue with my psychiatrist. Janine
Ana333,
I am dealing with the same issue. My 22 month old son has been rocking since 12 months old and I am soo "tired" of this. Has your son been better? Did you get helpful techniques?
I am 28 years old, married and with a child. I have RMD and have ever since I can remember. I body roll just like you described. I just explain it to men and it really hasn't been that big of a deal. My husband even admitted to trying it and it just made him dizzy lol. Every family member and close friend of mine knows about and and most have seen me do this. Don't be embarrassed by it because it's pretty much a part of you. Feel proud of yourself.
Hi to everyone , I have been rocking my head from side to side for most of my life i am 44 yrs old now and feel it is getting worse, i used to do it in bed just before or during sleep as you all say , but now i find myself doing it during the day too , usually when i am sitting in a chair or watching tv , and i dont know i am doing it until m y partner tells me, now he just whistles when i start to do it and i stop but i am never aware that I am doing it at the time, igt is worrying me now as it seems to be getting worse esp in the daytime , does anyone else on hear have this happening to them.
Thanks guys

Gary
I am 42 years old. I'm not sure if this is what is wrong with me or not. It has only happened once that I know of. I fell out of bed, I am in a wheelchair at night so I couldn't stand but out of no where I started hitting my head against the bed, my dresser, and my make up table. I was telling myself to stop but that didn't happen, I did notice that when I was hitting a spot over and over I could move my face alittle. I was black and blue and started having seizures after this but Doctors can't tell me what was going on.  Denise
In addition to my previous comment, a person can actually listen (and watch) one of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's seminars regarding the GAPS diet by going on www.youtube.com    Listening to one of her seminars would help a person know if they were a gaps patient and what to do about it.  Again, good luck and God bless!
My story exactly. I'm so stunned, some one else has my same story. I'm so isolated and it destroyed my self esteem. My parent's locked me in a room for days' and never spoke to me about it.It was taboo.Horrible. I wonder what my life would have been like with out this problem.
I rocked until I was about 23. What you have to do is force yourself to stop. I basically kept myself from rocking by wrapping myself up tightly in the covers. I had to stop because it was starting to make me nauseated.

A lot of people use it as a "pacifier" to go to sleep, and since they have done it for so long, they are almost afraid to stop.

Eventually it will go away.

If the clonazapam is not working, you might want to try something else like Xanax, Ativan or another benzo, or perhaps even a sleeping pill. People react differently to different meds. Clonazapam and Ativan do nothing for me (I take benzos for anxiety), but the Xanax seems to work.
How interesting read so many stories of RMD. My 7.5yr old son is a "body roller" and quite violently at that.  He has been doing this since he was a baby and used to hit both sides of the cot it was that intense.  He used to see a chiropractor as he would put his neck out and I actually had to tape my son so I could show the chiro (I think he didn't believe me!).  Now he is 7 and I too don't think he is getting any better.  My daughter gets driven insane being in the room next too him as not only does he rock but he sings!!! Loudly too.  Depending on what he has been heard on the radio or tele through the day depends on what he sings.  You would presume soothing songs (Paradise by Coldplay was a favourite for awhile) but lately we have had the Australian National Anthem (we are Australian) and just 2 nights ago Party Rock Anthem - not the most soothing of songs. He does this whether he has had a cruisy day or a busy day and will often start singing again in the early morning. He is loved dearly - is a beautiful boy full of life, is doing wonderful at school, is very popular and in no other way does he seem affected.  I am trying not to worry myself because he seems like a healthy young boy, but I do get concerned about it affecting his teen/adult life.  My family are all supportive.  The cousins are not too fond of sleeping with him though.  We try to be light hearted about it as we don't want to make it a huge issue for him or make it seem like a huge issue - I suppose we are hoping he grows out of it..........fingers, arms, legs and all toes crossed he does. Again, another long story and thank you for listening.  
I am 32 years old and my twin brother and I have had RMD since we were babies. I was a valedictorian in high school, graduated from a private university with honors, have a successful career, and am married with a great social life. The worse thing any parent, relative, or friend can do is make fun of the movements or to call it weird or strange. I remember being as young as 4 years old and I was already ashamed of the movements. My brother and I did everything, rocked into the wall, rocked in our sleep, jumped up and down on the bed slamming our faces into the mattress, etc. These movements seem to happen if we were a) tired, b) sleeping, c) excited. It seemed to be our way of meditating or dealing with extreme emotions.

However, our family did not know how to react. We would be made fun of, called weird, mocked (example "Hey you look like Stevie Wonder"), laughed at, etc. Now I must add, my family is very loving and caring, but they did not realize that their efforts to "make light" of the issue was just making us more and more ashamed.

I still to this day have moments of RMD which vary in intensity and I notice that my stress levels or even excitement levels will have a direct effect.

There was a 6 year period which I had thought I had completely done away with RMD, but was informed by a close friend that it happened at night here and there.

My advice. To family, friends, and relatives: dont make the person with RMD feel weird. The friends and family that made me feel the best were ones who talked about it as if it were nothing odd and calmly would ask how I felt about it and if it hurt me or made me feel different to the point of wanting treatment. Be understanding that it is embarrassing and we most likely feel ashamed, dont make it worse by compounding the issue with mocking or making us feel weird. It actually makes the condition worse by doing that. We wont magically be cured because you call it weird, strange, or tell us to stop.

My advice to fellow RMDers: Dont get drastic treatments or medications. Unless your RMD is caused by something that needs medication, if all you have is RMD, dont take addicting possibly harmful drugs. Know that you can live a happy, satisfying life. I do! Would I like to stop rocking at night or stop swaying at random times during the day? Sure. But I wont take any medications. I found that if I get a good routine of sleep and deal with anxieties and stress in a balanced way, I am less likely to rock.

TIP: if you are in a sleeping situation (such as a sleep over with many people), I have found that sleeping on my stomach or sleeping on a memory foam pillow has prevented rocking. How do I know? Close friends tell me and my hair is not extremely messed up in the morning.

Live happy. :)

thank you so much for commenting....my son is 8 and has been banging his head on his pillow since he was a infant. The pediatrician diagnosed him with sensory deficit disorder, and told us that he would grow out of it.....he of course has not, and some nights are worse than others lol. It is comforting to know that he is just normal and it is his way of relaxing....again thanks so much :)

Andrea
You're Welcome. :)
I'm 17 and I have the same problem its really annoying, I cannot get to sleep unless I move and my legs start aching if I move for too long
I wanted to update everyone on my progress and findings in dealing with my RMD.  I have rocked in bed and in chairs most of my life and in times of great stress, I have head banged as well.  I am happy to say that my course of treatment has been successful.  Whats amazing is that with all the movies, evidence and such out there reguarding demons and oppression and posession when I talk about how I've overcome this habit, people doubt or laugh.  Please take this seriously...I was being tormented by something very evil.  By coming to know Jesus, studying the Bible, Listening to 107.9 KWAVE radio, fellowship and prayer I have stopped all medication and most RMD.  What's even better is the forced realization that there is a Heaven and Hell and we are in or headed into end times according to the Word of God.  Demonic wicked or evil activity are getting worse.  Just watch the news, it's everywhere.  It took months to rid myself of nightly attacks and I can feel when they are coming on and can deal  with them better.  Just know that if this explains your problem, when you give your life to Christ you will invoke a battle for your soul but with persistance, and calling out to the Lord in times of trouble, you can overcome and even better is that you can assure yourself eternal salvation!  Trust me and seek Jesus.  Read the New Testament.  It is Heaven or Hell and the choice is yours.  I will be praying for all of you.    
I am 21 years of age and rock laying on my side. I have been doing this since I was a child. I am at the stage where I can control the addiction. I get urges to move my limbs (mostly legs) I feel like nerves start jumping out of my legs and lower spine. When I was young I had to do it + the head banging. Iv come to the realization that I am addicted to the adrenaline I feel from rocking my head. If I just move my head I don't feel the urge to rock my body (otherwise usually rubbing my feet together or moving them). It is extremely difficult at start but the best way to over come this is simply to stop doing it. It's really hard, As if on withdrawal from a drug and you just want to rock, bang, move limbs but you'll eventually get there. I figured out it helps when you are in bed with a person to just hug them and get soothed by their body heat. Touching the feet of your partner with your own seems to help me. Also if you have a preferred rocking side. Switch sides. Your body feels less of an urge to obey its regular pattern, also try stretching the legs and keep one stretched out whilst having the other knee brought closer to abdomin (abdomen). Helps me.
If God's a physician he's not very good.
WOW.  Did not realize so many people have this. As a child I would move head side to side until I fell asleep. One day my mother took me to get my hair cut because she got tired of trying to comb out my matted knots in the mornings, it didn't help that I also would get gum stuck in my hair. I also up until my twenties would sit on the floor indian style and rock back & forth as I watched TV. From age 3 to 5 I would rock back and forth on the sofa. I enjoyed feeling my back bounce off the back of the sofa. My arm and hand would rub back & forth on the armrest. The roughness of the armrest was stimulating & kinda soothing.
I stopped moving my head in my first year of being married. I am 55 years old & have been married for 30 years now.
Today I still move my leg side to side. When I feel myself dozing off on the chair while watching TV I pick up my leg and continuosly bang my heel against the floor. I am a night person & wish we didn't have to sleep so much. I do shake my leg quite a bit while sitting down. I feel I cannot sit still & should be doing something physical. I love to dance & did dance for many years. I would feel great afterwards. Any physical activity makes me feel great.
As a child I was molested. Don't know if this is a factor. It never happened when I would go to bed to sleep. I feel that I have to do something physical to be happy. I would love to have as a career to teach some kind of physical class. But, I am not getting younger. I am a massage therapist & do enjoy helping people feel better. At times massaging was stressful because it took a toll on my arms and hands. This is why I teach it now. But I want to do something more physical with movement.
I couldn't read everyone's story, but I got the courage to write this, at times while bouncing my left leg up and down quite quickly.
Thank you for reading. It has been good to share with all of you who have this need to move for whatever the reason. Maybe one day I can see a sleep specialist.
the only way I wont Rock at night is if I wait until im super tired and lay on my stomach and cuddle up with a big pillow .. then ill sleep the whowhole night..
hi my names tim, i hope u dont mind me asking, but with your rhythic movement disorder, do u have any other medical conditions as well as that as i am 26 but suffered many head operations as a child and threfore have learning difficulties but i do also suffer from the same condition as you.
could i ask what other symtoms (symptoms) you get on a day to day basis?
It would be great if a doctor would post something on here. This is something that obviously affects so many people in so many different ways. Perhaps a calling for some of the younger sufferers.
Anyway my case is much like every other I have read on hear with the exception that as a child I would rock,bang, kick to fall asleep and it wouldn't wake me during the night.
I am 34 now and have mostly kicked the pre-sleep movements because I try to completely exhaust myself to the point where I just pass out. However I can't get more than 2-3 hrs of sleep before the movements start and it keeps me in a mind racing state, half asleep until I drag myself out of bed for another grouchy, sleepy day. Everyday......
Has anyone tried hypnosis? I've been prescribed klonopin but it doesn't work and has seemed to adversely affect my memory. Or perhaps that is the result of 3 yes sleep every night.
I truly hope someone reaches out with some helpful insight for the sake and well being of everyone on here.

Goodnight all, kinda....
Jeremy
what i use to do is to exercise untill i get really tired and cannot even move my muscles... i mean to do push ups and stuff like that then take a shower and then go to sleep... most of the times it works... you also want to be in a place where it is neither cold or warm, sometimes listen to music as well but keep listening untill u get tired.... it had worked for me... the trainning but im not sure about the music sometimes it helped
I'm 16 and always wondered why I roll my body back and forth (smoothly) till I was to tired to. I never really think about it when I do but, I can stop I just like to it sooths me. My parents tell me that people will laugh at me when I move out. I think I may have a disorder. I don't know if I should be worried but, I would like to stop.
I'm 20 and I've been "rocking" ever since I was a baby. My mother says that I would never let her rock me to sleep and I would just lay down and bang my head until I fell asleep. When I shared a room with my sister she used to yell at me and throw things at me to get me to stop and I would for a couple minutes but I'd just start right back up again. I also do it a lot when I'm fully awake. I either sit and rock back and forth or lay down and bang my head.

When started grade school it started to be a bit of a nuisance to the people around me. My teachers thought I was autistic, or had OCD. I was always pretty bright so mental retardation wasn't brought up, except by my peers =/ I learned how to control it much better by the time I got to high school. In my case though when I start head banging, instead of using a pillow or the mattress, for some reason I use the back of my wrist which has caused a dark mark to develop both on my wrist and on my forehead going down between my eyes. I first noticed the mark developing around fifth grade. I really need to stop, I don't know why I can't.

Music hasn't helped, neither has waiting until I'm exhausted to go to bed, and sheer will power hasn't either. I tried to just stop when I got to college so I wouldn't disturb my roommate but she woke me up once or twice out of genuine concern because I started to do it unconsciously at night (which was really embarrassing).  I can control it when I am sitting down in public, but still feel that urge and the only time I didn't really feel as much of an urge to head bang at night was when I was cuddled up with a guy as I fell asleep.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated because I hate feeling the need to rock and I hate having this mark in my face.
I have this terrible PLMD diagnosed at the lab and couldn't sleep for 4 years now.  klonopin helps a lot with my sleep or ambien less.  is there another cure because it is really impossible to get klonopin from my doc
The Problem: I'm 15 yrs old and would like to stop rocking before I get at least 18 or 21 years of age because if I don't I might get full grown with it.
Strange: iHave my Dad's ear on the left side and my Mom's ear on the right side of my head.
Finding: iThought that would have something to with it cuz maybe whatever they are that could've got me into RMD.
How: iSleep on the left side of the bed, move my right leg, right arm under the pillow, rocking my right side of my body, and left hand under left leg.
Unhealthy: iDon't think RMD is a healthy thing to do. 'Cuz one time a few days back I felt something behind my rib felt really strange like it was moving against my rib while I was rocking - strangely. But I didn't care cuz I rocked myself anyway half asleep I think it was in the morning.
Worn: Sometimes after I get tired of sleeping I put my right leg close to my upper body and fall asleep also a few times I laid on my stomach with left arm under me and my right arm beside me then I just go to sleep from being worn out.
Old: I also listened to music over night and now it's getting old and tired of it cuz I stay awake early in the morning of the night like at 12, 1, 2, 3, and 4 am but once it was 4am cuz I was listening to music.
Addict: iDidn't like and didn't want to listen to music during the night cuz it waste power and I like music and like listening to it. Music might be addicting.
Prepared: On School nights I went to sleep at 12 or 1am mostly 12am though and got in bed at 11pm to gather my clothes for school in the morning in case I'll get late.
Rule: Suppose to be in bed by 10pm or at least off the computer. Now it's off the computer by 11pm so at least 11pm I do the dishes since I don't have a job.
Concentrate: iCan't concentrate in school with any kind of noise, I can't concentrate with people sitting around me in the class room, and I can't concentrate with anyone in the room I guess.
Slow: I've been slow doing things as young as I can remember like in 3rd grade working on my Westest a teacher was alone with me it was lunch time and I guessed at my last answer(s) and ran out to catch up with the others.
An embarrassment: It's embarrassing for people to see me as coming up last.
Alone: Being slow just makes me feel like a loser and I've felt like that my whole life more and likely cuz my grades are at least a C freshman year I took my school work home cuz I can't think or concentrate at school.
Friend: When a friend was mad at me I did't feel comfortable about it and I didn't know what she was mad about then she told our friend and she didn't want me to know why she was mad at me so freshman year we didn't hang out.
Mistake: iDon't even know if were even friends but she was being mean to me and on some cases I thought she was joking I think I accidentally got her in trouble at After School time we were kidding with the teacher he got aggravated and he isn't even an old person. It's a giggling teacher sometimes. AH, Ridiculous.
Hurt: Anyway when the times that I felt she was being mean to me I didn't know what else to do. I followed our friend around and she seemed not to like it but I didn't know that. I was wanting to hang out with our friend and she asked me if I was gay I said no.
Big Deal: Isn't that what friends are for to hang out with them and be a friend. Some people get mad for no reason.
Past: I miss her cuz she was funny, cool, beautiful, confident, and yeah I just got mad at our friend but I got over it I'm still talking to the girl who said I was following her but whatever.
iDon't care about the past right?: Things happen for a reason cuz what is mean't to be is mean't to be right.
Stumbling upon this thread has made my day. I am 25 and have always "rocked" before I go to bed and when I awaken. It's so great to hear that so many others rock as well! BellaPrunella, I included your name in my comment because I wanted to let you know that I also have a brother who rocks every night, just like me. I think that the origin of the rocking is most often caused by some not-so-fun childhoods. The fact that both my brother and myself rock reinforces my belief.
I hear a lot of scared people commenting on this thread; I especially feel for the young adults who are afraid of being rejected throughout life because of the rocking. But know this: I am married, and we do just fine. We went into the mattress store and explained to the salesman that I am "extremely restless" at night, and the salesman guided us to an extra firm mattress. We also don't use a bed frame, as my rocking always destroyed those in childhood. Plus, my rocking would always make the bed creak incessantly--any empathizers?. My wife occasionally nudges me, lets me know that I'm rocking a little hard, and asks me why I'm stressed. I take that as my cue to slow down a little.
What was scarier than letting my wife in on my rocking was going to Army Basic Training. Throughout childhood, I would always avoid sleepovers, and dread any activities where I would have to share a room; I even shelled out extra money for my own dorm room in college. At first, I tried to hide my rocking at Basic, telling only my bunk mate. By the end of Basic, I think most of my battle buddies were on to me, and get this: I wasn't the only one in my Company who did it! The other guy was even more of a thrasher than I, and freaked out the Drill Sergeants one morning when they stumbled on him half-awake and rocking. But guess what, not even the Drill Sergeants made fun of him.
I guess my points are that a. the right woman/man is not going to care, and you and your significant other will find techniques to make bedtime tolerable, b. if a Company of infantry soldiers can be understanding about rocking, then ANYONE can, and c. none of us are alone with this problem!
I personally find the rocking to be therapeutic; I have a hunch that the origin of most RMD cases is childhood stress-management, and in my opinion, if you still have RMD as an adult, then you have an awesome tool to help cope with all the stresses of adult life.

ROCKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!
Hi everyone,
I have also had this problem for over 50 years.
I have found a cure but most Doctors wont believe it.
I found that being on oxyneo in my case i need 80 mg once a day and one at night.
If I take them at exactly 8 am and 8 pm it totally disappears.
My doc has reduced my oxy with concerns of addiction, but i would rather some one think i was an addict than live with this awful condition for another day.
I am going to a sleep lab soon to prove my findings.
I know it works and i have it as bad as any of you.
I came across this when I originally toke this med for pain and realized it completly cured my RMD. honest.
Ask to try a lower dose just an hour before bed and i garrantee you will notice a difference.
Got to go now, if any one wants to talk to me more, i can understand you wanting to find relief from this terrible disorder.
Later
I am 67 and have been rolling my head to relax and go to sleep since I was a baby.  I did grow out of it to an extent, however, every once in a while I "have" to do it just to relax.  I am a university professor, a conductor and a internationally known composer.  Obviously this "affliction" didn't turn me into a lump of intimate flesh.  Don't worry.  
I was in tears when I read these replies. I was moved to find out that I wasn’t alone. I am a 25 year old university student and have been rocking for as long as I can remember. It is a nightly ritual before I sleep. A previous poster mentioned music, and I to listen to music and will sway to the tempo. As I child I told one friend who slept over and was ridiculed, and have told no other person sense. I recently moved in with my girlfriend and for the first few months it was hard to sleep next to her. I loved her so much and didn’t want to keep her up, or was afraid she would think I was to strange to be with me. Over the course of the next few months it was easier to fall asleep but I will find myself doing it when she is not around or before a nap (alone). She walked in on me once and just made her presence known. It was the single most embarrassing thing to happen.  

One night I found myself doing it while she was away on a trip. I was terrified at the thought that I would be very old doing it, and it causing me bodily harm to my muscles or brain. After finding these post I have the courage to find medical help to stop this addiction.

My thought over the years are that it’s an OCD tic. I know don’t NEED to do it but i get anxious if I don’t. I have not sought help because I am too stubborn to admit that it’s a real problem. After living with my girlfriend I can say now that it’s a problem and that now more than ever I want this problem no longer.
I promise every person here that when I find a cure or treatment I will make it known. My mother was addicted to prescription medication and I hate the thought that I will need to be medicated to solve this problem.

Thank you to every poster and I wish all of you the best of luck. And to all the parents and significant others who read this please know that this is harder on the person then you could ever imagine. Just love them and be there for them.
Hi there, i am 53 and i have been "body  rocking " myself to sleep for as long as i remember. I am married and my husband works odd hours so many nights i have the bed to myself.  I enjoy body rocking and do it for anywhere from 1-2 hrs then fall to sleep.  It relaxes me and calms my mind.  When we do sleep together i dont rock myself to sleep but its very hard to relax and fall asleep without it.  I have no idea if i do it in my sleep while my husband is beside me, he has never mentioned it but maybe he just wants to save me the embarassment?  My son has ADD and through his diagnosis, i feel i am ADD too (i exhibited all the same behaviors as a child asnhe is experiencing now -poor concentration, hard to stay on task, poor self esteem, not many friends, impulsivity).  I still see alot of these traits in me as an adult but can better manage them now.    As a child i also suffered from epilepsy which I outgrew.  Only had seizures sporadically for a year or two, and maybe it's was just a symptom of having ADD (if it is a symptom). We were very poor and i was the youngest of 6 kids and very well may have been neglected somewhat.  My father strapped us regularly but I dont know if that has anything to do with it ... Thats just how their generation disciplined. I dont see body rocking as a big PROBLEM, it's just who i am. Anyway, accept and love yourself...you are wonderful and unique.
I've been rolling in bed my whole life as well (47). Started out as a going to sleep thing but evolved into that plus a listening to music thing. I have spent whole days rolling to music when I was young. It's a great way to escape and come up with great ideas. I have always thought of it as a type of meditation/creative thinking activity.
Down side is, everyone thinks your nuts! So when I started sharing the bed with girlfriends and then the wife I stopped rolling myself to sleep and only rolled to music when I have opportunities, pretty rare these days. The wife dosent care, just laughs.
I am 13 year old male I have done this since I can remember I do it nearly everynight. I'm scared that when I grow up and have to sleep with a woman its gonna effect my relationship does anyone have any solutions or treatment for this I would apreciate it A LOT PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!
Hey there, like most you guys i have had this disorder for as long as i can remember and am now 26. When i was a kid and i started head banging my mom would just put her hand on me and talk in a calm voice and it would stop and i go to sleep. As i grew older i discovered that i get the urge when i sleep in certain position so i suggest find your position guys.

I'm a Civil Engineer by profession, have a good job and function normally so people don't make those who have feel like a weirdo or think they won't amount to something coz we are pulling through. I still head bang from time to time when stressed but like another article recommended i sleep listening to natures sounds like waves and stuff and it works for me.

Best of luck to those who have this disorder and i hope you learn how to leave with it like i have and to parents with kids who have it just treat them like they don't have it and don't get stressed much by it.
Hi my name is Kirstie I have the say problem I rock my head side to side I use to rock on my hands and knees till I was about 10 but now I lay down and rock my head side to side and t the only way for my to sleep I find it very hard to stop but I don't no how to stop I no wt u mean ppl think u can grow out of it but I'm 18 and I still do it any help
Hello, I'm 15, almost 16 and I have have rocked on my knees and elbows for as long as I can remember. I am desperate for a solution to this now health endangering condition, as it affects my violin playing, which I so hope to be my future career. I have continual backache when sitting incorrectly and during playing the violin. My ankles have previously been at risk as well as my neck. These places of my body are, as I have found, the most prone in my rocking position. I worry seeing adults in their 30's and 40's still with RMD and would give anything for a cure! I have tried forcibly lying still, but as most of you will agree it leads to little sleep and even sleep deprivation which in turn can revert back to rocking. Even if I manage to stop rocking when awake, I still reckon I do it subconsciously when in a light sleep. Can any1 help? If so email me at -----   ***@****
I posted some 4 years back to this thread and just found it again!  I still have 3 that "rock".

12 yr old, 9 yr old and a 5 yr old. All three have autism and all have rocked literally a few days after birth and since then!

The most violent one is the 5 yr old who has numerous bruises from rocking (the now 12 yr old used to be the worst and was black and blue all over the side of his face, but hes since slowed (possibly the double bed so he cant reach walls helped!) so now the 5 yr old is the worst, bashing his head side to side into anything that's near him and feels so pain. His is mostly when hes awake and starting to get tired, he rocks probably a total of about 4 hours a day while away and a good 4 hours during his sleep - rather exhausting for him as you can imagine! We have come to accept it and not stress anymore. I do hope it disappears one day and if it doesn't I hope he ends up with an understanding partner!  I never worked out the cause, all my 3 vary from intellectual disability, right up to the 5 yr old who they think is gifted and extreme IQ, so theres no correlation there - the only thing they have in common is that they all have sensory disorders that are quite extreme - any one else found they have significant sensory issues?
I suffered this from birth and up until recently. I was abused as a child and it is a way to release stress. It wasn't addressed when I was a child because it was assumed that I was doing it on purpose and I was punished when my humming or rocking was so loud that it woke up other people. I was made to sit at the kitchen table for 30 minutes as punishment. I was then sent back to bed and it was even worse...why no one made a connection is so crazy. But I've received therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and it has stopped nearly 100%. I still do it when I am sick (flu, fever, nauseated with vomiting) but to a much less degree. I just turned 39 a few months ago. I have never known it had a name and never knew anyone else. I was too ashamed to seek others and no doctor knew what I was talking about when I called it head banging. A few thought I was literally getting up in the middle of the night and banging my head against the wall...
d_the_man,
   I know how you're feeling. Since I could lift my head, I bounced my head on my pillow.  My mom had to tie my crib to the wall so it wouldn't "walk" across the bedroom floor.  I'm 53 now and still "bounce" to get myself to sleep sometimes.  I find the urge stronger if I haven't worn myself out before I go to bed.  I tend to read on my back until I fall asleep.  That helps.
   When I was your age, I would go to sleep overs and try my best to be the last one to sleep.  I don't know about you, but I have also been known to "bounce" in my sleep.  So, when I would be seen doing that at sleep overs, my friends would wake me and tell me I must have been having a really bad dream! LOL  My very best friends knew and never said or thought anything about it.  It's nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is just your body expanding extra energy it has before you can sleep soundly.  During your trip, if you find yourself laying there not able to sleep, try shaking a leg while laying on your back.  There is nothing wrong with you!  You're just a little high strung and need to wind down before you can sleep.     HeyDee
I am 36 years old. After an all night session of body rolling, i would wake up and my hair would look like Medusa. Actually earning myself the nickname as a teenager from my friends. I seem to get plenty of rest even with my body rolling. However, in the past few years, i have been in a car accident that created a narrowing of my spinal chord at the base of my neck. This body rolling has to stop as i wake up every day in terrible pain all through my back. This pain does subside throughout the day, but i wonder what damages I am causing to my body at this time. When i went to a chiropractor for the first time ever, he took x-rays and found that i was lacking any curvature to my neck and lower spine. It is unclear if this is caused by the body rolling or the car accident. I have always had stiff muscles in my neck and upper back most likely relating to my sleeping movements and lack of ability for those muscles to rest while i am asleep.
I have been into herbs since i was a teenager, and have tried several of them as sleep aids. Very few of them worked. Melatonin worked for a day then the next I was back to "rocking". I have tried over the counter sleep aids, the effects were always short lived. maybe a night or two. I took a temazepam once and woke up groggy and hungover for the better part of the following day. wont be doing that again. But to get to the point... I saw something about rick simpson oil having an effect on involuntary movements of parkinson's disease, which my grandmother had... and an effect muscle spasms, and inflamation (inflammation) reduction which i suffer from on a chronic level given my spinal damage, and decided to try it. I do not live in a state where marijuana is legal, so i took the next best approach... I ordered in Hemp tea from europe and made the oil with it. Hemp is the same species as the pot plant but is a variety that contains little or no thc therefore it is f\perfectly legal in all 50 states. It contains a compound called cbd and another called cbn. These two compounds are the medicine behind medical marijuana. I have included this oil into 2 forms that I use daily. i make drops from the oil by mixing the thick tar like sludge into vegetable glycerin and drop under my tongue int he morning. and i add it to my e-liquid (no nicotine) for use in my e-cig for all day use in vapor form. It has taken me about 3 weeks from the time i started using it to start to see results. I am now in week 4 of "treatment" of course self prescribed.... and i have not looked like medusa for the last 3 days when i wake up in the morning. My boyfriend has said he has slept better too since I have been doing this. Maybe this will help you too.