Rhythmic Movement Disorder, Can't take it anymore

Is there anyone, I mean anyone, out there that has rhythmic movement disorder? I have been violently thrashing my body and head, laterally while asleep or mostly somewhat asleep since I can remember. I am 30 now. It use to consume maybe an hour or two a night but now it is getting drastically worse. I find myself doing it or am told that I, "rock", 4-5 hours a night. Apparently kids grow out of this and the remainder that carry this disorder into their adult lives are autistic or mentally challenged, which I am neither. My doctor prescribed me clonazepam, which does not work and I'm not taking an addictive, benzodiazepine for the rest of my life.
Does anyone relate to my problem and if so what treatments have worked for you? I'm going to go insane!
How interesting read so many stories of RMD. My 7.5yr old son is a "body roller" and quite violently at that.  He has been doing this since he was a baby and used to hit both sides of the cot it was that intense.  He used to see a chiropractor as he would put his neck out and I actually had to tape my son so I could show the chiro (I think he didn't believe me!).  Now he is 7 and I too don't think he is getting any better.  My daughter gets driven insane being in the room next too him as not only does he rock but he sings!!! Loudly too.  Depending on what he has been heard on the radio or tele through the day depends on what he sings.  You would presume soothing songs (Paradise by Coldplay was a favourite for awhile) but lately we have had the Australian National Anthem (we are Australian) and just 2 nights ago Party Rock Anthem - not the most soothing of songs. He does this whether he has had a cruisy day or a busy day and will often start singing again in the early morning. He is loved dearly - is a beautiful boy full of life, is doing wonderful at school, is very popular and in no other way does he seem affected.  I am trying not to worry myself because he seems like a healthy young boy, but I do get concerned about it affecting his teen/adult life.  My family are all supportive.  The cousins are not too fond of sleeping with him though.  We try to be light hearted about it as we don't want to make it a huge issue for him or make it seem like a huge issue - I suppose we are hoping he grows out of it..........fingers, arms, legs and all toes crossed he does. Again, another long story and thank you for listening.  
I am 32 years old and my twin brother and I have had RMD since we were babies. I was a valedictorian in high school, graduated from a private university with honors, have a successful career, and am married with a great social life. The worse thing any parent, relative, or friend can do is make fun of the movements or to call it weird or strange. I remember being as young as 4 years old and I was already ashamed of the movements. My brother and I did everything, rocked into the wall, rocked in our sleep, jumped up and down on the bed slamming our faces into the mattress, etc. These movements seem to happen if we were a) tired, b) sleeping, c) excited. It seemed to be our way of meditating or dealing with extreme emotions.

However, our family did not know how to react. We would be made fun of, called weird, mocked (example "Hey you look like Stevie Wonder"), laughed at, etc. Now I must add, my family is very loving and caring, but they did not realize that their efforts to "make light" of the issue was just making us more and more ashamed.

I still to this day have moments of RMD which vary in intensity and I notice that my stress levels or even excitement levels will have a direct effect.

There was a 6 year period which I had thought I had completely done away with RMD, but was informed by a close friend that it happened at night here and there.

My advice. To family, friends, and relatives: dont make the person with RMD feel weird. The friends and family that made me feel the best were ones who talked about it as if it were nothing odd and calmly would ask how I felt about it and if it hurt me or made me feel different to the point of wanting treatment. Be understanding that it is embarrassing and we most likely feel ashamed, dont make it worse by compounding the issue with mocking or making us feel weird. It actually makes the condition worse by doing that. We wont magically be cured because you call it weird, strange, or tell us to stop.

My advice to fellow RMDers: Dont get drastic treatments or medications. Unless your RMD is caused by something that needs medication, if all you have is RMD, dont take addicting possibly harmful drugs. Know that you can live a happy, satisfying life. I do! Would I like to stop rocking at night or stop swaying at random times during the day? Sure. But I wont take any medications. I found that if I get a good routine of sleep and deal with anxieties and stress in a balanced way, I am less likely to rock.

TIP: if you are in a sleeping situation (such as a sleep over with many people), I have found that sleeping on my stomach or sleeping on a memory foam pillow has prevented rocking. How do I know? Close friends tell me and my hair is not extremely messed up in the morning.

Live happy. :)

thank you so much for commenting....my son is 8 and has been banging his head on his pillow since he was a infant. The pediatrician diagnosed him with sensory deficit disorder, and told us that he would grow out of it.....he of course has not, and some nights are worse than others lol. It is comforting to know that he is just normal and it is his way of relaxing....again thanks so much :)

Andrea
You're Welcome. :)
I'm 17 and I have the same problem its really annoying, I cannot get to sleep unless I move and my legs start aching if I move for too long
I wanted to update everyone on my progress and findings in dealing with my RMD.  I have rocked in bed and in chairs most of my life and in times of great stress, I have head banged as well.  I am happy to say that my course of treatment has been successful.  Whats amazing is that with all the movies, evidence and such out there reguarding demons and oppression and posession when I talk about how I've overcome this habit, people doubt or laugh.  Please take this seriously...I was being tormented by something very evil.  By coming to know Jesus, studying the Bible, Listening to 107.9 KWAVE radio, fellowship and prayer I have stopped all medication and most RMD.  What's even better is the forced realization that there is a Heaven and Hell and we are in or headed into end times according to the Word of God.  Demonic wicked or evil activity are getting worse.  Just watch the news, it's everywhere.  It took months to rid myself of nightly attacks and I can feel when they are coming on and can deal  with them better.  Just know that if this explains your problem, when you give your life to Christ you will invoke a battle for your soul but with persistance, and calling out to the Lord in times of trouble, you can overcome and even better is that you can assure yourself eternal salvation!  Trust me and seek Jesus.  Read the New Testament.  It is Heaven or Hell and the choice is yours.  I will be praying for all of you.    
I am 21 years of age and rock laying on my side. I have been doing this since I was a child. I am at the stage where I can control the addiction. I get urges to move my limbs (mostly legs) I feel like nerves start jumping out of my legs and lower spine. When I was young I had to do it + the head banging. Iv come to the realization that I am addicted to the adrenaline I feel from rocking my head. If I just move my head I don't feel the urge to rock my body (otherwise usually rubbing my feet together or moving them). It is extremely difficult at start but the best way to over come this is simply to stop doing it. It's really hard, As if on withdrawal from a drug and you just want to rock, bang, move limbs but you'll eventually get there. I figured out it helps when you are in bed with a person to just hug them and get soothed by their body heat. Touching the feet of your partner with your own seems to help me. Also if you have a preferred rocking side. Switch sides. Your body feels less of an urge to obey its regular pattern, also try stretching the legs and keep one stretched out whilst having the other knee brought closer to abdomin. Helps me.
If God's a physician he's not very good.
WOW.  Did not realize so many people have this. As a child I would move head side to side until I fell asleep. One day my mother took me to get my hair cut because she got tired of trying to comb out my matted knots in the mornings, it didn't help that I also would get gum stuck in my hair. I also up until my twenties would sit on the floor indian style and rock back & forth as I watched TV. From age 3 to 5 I would rock back and forth on the sofa. I enjoyed feeling my back bounce off the back of the sofa. My arm and hand would rub back & forth on the armrest. The roughness of the armrest was stimulating & kinda soothing.
I stopped moving my head in my first year of being married. I am 55 years old & have been married for 30 years now.
Today I still move my leg side to side. When I feel myself dozing off on the chair while watching TV I pick up my leg and continuosly bang my heel against the floor. I am a night person & wish we didn't have to sleep so much. I do shake my leg quite a bit while sitting down. I feel I cannot sit still & should be doing something physical. I love to dance & did dance for many years. I would feel great afterwards. Any physical activity makes me feel great.
As a child I was molested. Don't know if this is a factor. It never happened when I would go to bed to sleep. I feel that I have to do something physical to be happy. I would love to have as a career to teach some kind of physical class. But, I am not getting younger. I am a massage therapist & do enjoy helping people feel better. At times massaging was stressful because it took a toll on my arms and hands. This is why I teach it now. But I want to do something more physical with movement.
I couldn't read everyone's story, but I got the courage to write this, at times while bouncing my left leg up and down quite quickly.
Thank you for reading. It has been good to share with all of you who have this need to move for whatever the reason. Maybe one day I can see a sleep specialist.
the only way I wont Rock at night is if I wait until im super tired and lay on my stomach and cuddle up with a big pillow .. then ill sleep the whowhole night..
hi my names tim, i hope u dont mind me asking, but with your rhythic movement disorder, do u have any other medical conditions as well as that as i am 26 but suffered many head operations as a child and threfore have learning difficulties but i do also suffer from the same condition as you.
could i ask what other symtoms you get on a day to day basis?
It would be great if a doctor would post something on here. This is something that obviously affects so many people in so many different ways. Perhaps a calling for some of the younger sufferers.
Anyway my case is much like every other I have read on hear with the exception that as a child I would rock,bang, kick to fall asleep and it wouldn't wake me during the night.
I am 34 now and have mostly kicked the pre-sleep movements because I try to completely exhaust myself to the point where I just pass out. However I can't get more than 2-3 hrs of sleep before the movements start and it keeps me in a mind racing state, half asleep until I drag myself out of bed for another grouchy, sleepy day. Everyday......
Has anyone tried hypnosis? I've been prescribed klonopin but it doesn't work and has seemed to adversely affect my memory. Or perhaps that is the result of 3 yes sleep every night.
I truly hope someone reaches out with some helpful insight for the sake and well being of everyone on here.

Goodnight all, kinda....
Jeremy
what i use to do is to exercise untill i get really tired and cannot even move my muscles... i mean to do push ups and stuff like that then take a shower and then go to sleep... most of the times it works... you also want to be in a place where it is neither cold or warm, sometimes listen to music as well but keep listening untill u get tired.... it had worked for me... the trainning but im not sure about the music sometimes it helped
I'm 16 and always wondered why I roll my body back and forth (smoothly) till I was to tired to. I never really think about it when I do but, I can stop I just like to it sooths me. My parents tell me that people will laugh at me when I move out. I think I may have a disorder. I don't know if I should be worried but, I would like to stop.
I'm 20 and I've been "rocking" ever since I was a baby. My mother says that I would never let her rock me to sleep and I would just lay down and bang my head until I fell asleep. When I shared a room with my sister she used to yell at me and throw things at me to get me to stop and I would for a couple minutes but I'd just start right back up again. I also do it a lot when I'm fully awake. I either sit and rock back and forth or lay down and bang my head.

When started grade school it started to be a bit of a nuisance to the people around me. My teachers thought I was autistic, or had OCD. I was always pretty bright so mental retardation wasn't brought up, except by my peers =/ I learned how to control it much better by the time I got to high school. In my case though when I start head banging, instead of using a pillow or the mattress, for some reason I use the back of my wrist which has caused a dark mark to develop both on my wrist and on my forehead going down between my eyes. I first noticed the mark developing around fifth grade. I really need to stop, I don't know why I can't.

Music hasn't helped, neither has waiting until I'm exhausted to go to bed, and sheer will power hasn't either. I tried to just stop when I got to college so I wouldn't disturb my roommate but she woke me up once or twice out of genuine concern because I started to do it unconsciously at night (which was really embarrassing).  I can control it when I am sitting down in public, but still feel that urge and the only time I didn't really feel as much of an urge to head bang at night was when I was cuddled up with a guy as I fell asleep.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated because I hate feeling the need to rock and I hate having this mark in my face.
I have this terrible PLMD diagnosed at the lab and couldn't sleep for 4 years now.  klonopin helps a lot with my sleep or ambien less.  is there another cure because it is really impossible to get klonopin from my doc
The Problem: I'm 15 yrs old and would like to stop rocking before I get at least 18 or 21 years of age because if I don't I might get full grown with it.
Strange: iHave my Dad's ear on the left side and my Mom's ear on the right side of my head.
Finding: iThought that would have something to with it cuz maybe whatever they are that could've got me into RMD.
How: iSleep on the left side of the bed, move my right leg, right arm under the pillow, rocking my right side of my body, and left hand under left leg.
Unhealthy: iDon't think RMD is a healthy thing to do. 'Cuz one time a few days back I felt something behind my rib felt really strange like it was moving against my rib while I was rocking - strangely. But I didn't care cuz I rocked myself anyway half asleep I think it was in the morning.
Worn: Sometimes after I get tired of sleeping I put my right leg close to my upper body and fall asleep also a few times I laid on my stomach with left arm under me and my right arm beside me then I just go to sleep from being worn out.
Old: I also listened to music over night and now it's getting old and tired of it cuz I stay awake early in the morning of the night like at 12, 1, 2, 3, and 4 am but once it was 4am cuz I was listening to music.
Addict: iDidn't like and didn't want to listen to music during the night cuz it waste power and I like music and like listening to it. Music might be addicting.
Prepared: On School nights I went to sleep at 12 or 1am mostly 12am though and got in bed at 11pm to gather my clothes for school in the morning in case I'll get late.
Rule: Suppose to be in bed by 10pm or at least off the computer. Now it's off the computer by 11pm so at least 11pm I do the dishes since I don't have a job.
Concentrate: iCan't concentrate in school with any kind of noise, I can't concentrate with people sitting around me in the class room, and I can't concentrate with anyone in the room I guess.
Slow: I've been slow doing things as young as I can remember like in 3rd grade working on my Westest a teacher was alone with me it was lunch time and I guessed at my last answer(s) and ran out to catch up with the others.
An embarrassment: It's embarrassing for people to see me as coming up last.
Alone: Being slow just makes me feel like a loser and I've felt like that my whole life more and likely cuz my grades are at least a C freshman year I took my school work home cuz I can't think or concentrate at school.
Friend: When a friend was mad at me I did't feel comfortable about it and I didn't know what she was mad about then she told our friend and she didn't want me to know why she was mad at me so freshman year we didn't hang out.
Mistake: iDon't even know if were even friends but she was being mean to me and on some cases I thought she was joking I think I accidentally got her in trouble at After School time we were kidding with the teacher he got aggravated and he isn't even an old person. It's a giggling teacher sometimes. AH, Ridiculous.
Hurt: Anyway when the times that I felt she was being mean to me I didn't know what else to do. I followed our friend around and she seemed not to like it but I didn't know that. I was wanting to hang out with our friend and she asked me if I was gay I said no.
Big Deal: Isn't that what friends are for to hang out with them and be a friend. Some people get mad for no reason.
Past: I miss her cuz she was funny, cool, beautiful, confident, and yeah I just got mad at our friend but I got over it I'm still talking to the girl who said I was following her but whatever.
iDon't care about the past right?: Things happen for a reason cuz what is mean't to be is mean't to be right.
Stumbling upon this thread has made my day. I am 25 and have always "rocked" before I go to bed and when I awaken. It's so great to hear that so many others rock as well! BellaPrunella, I included your name in my comment because I wanted to let you know that I also have a brother who rocks every night, just like me. I think that the origin of the rocking is most often caused by some not-so-fun childhoods. The fact that both my brother and myself rock reinforces my belief.
I hear a lot of scared people commenting on this thread; I especially feel for the young adults who are afraid of being rejected throughout life because of the rocking. But know this: I am married, and we do just fine. We went into the mattress store and explained to the salesman that I am "extremely restless" at night, and the salesman guided us to an extra firm mattress. We also don't use a bed frame, as my rocking always destroyed those in childhood. Plus, my rocking would always make the bed creak incessantly--any empathizers?. My wife occasionally nudges me, lets me know that I'm rocking a little hard, and asks me why I'm stressed. I take that as my cue to slow down a little.
What was scarier than letting my wife in on my rocking was going to Army Basic Training. Throughout childhood, I would always avoid sleepovers, and dread any activities where I would have to share a room; I even shelled out extra money for my own dorm room in college. At first, I tried to hide my rocking at Basic, telling only my bunk mate. By the end of Basic, I think most of my battle buddies were on to me, and get this: I wasn't the only one in my Company who did it! The other guy was even more of a thrasher than I, and freaked out the Drill Sergeants one morning when they stumbled on him half-awake and rocking. But guess what, not even the Drill Sergeants made fun of him.
I guess my points are that a. the right woman/man is not going to care, and you and your significant other will find techniques to make bedtime tolerable, b. if a Company of infantry soldiers can be understanding about rocking, then ANYONE can, and c. none of us are alone with this problem!
I personally find the rocking to be therapeutic; I have a hunch that the origin of most RMD cases is childhood stress-management, and in my opinion, if you still have RMD as an adult, then you have an awesome tool to help cope with all the stresses of adult life.

ROCKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!
Hi everyone,
I have also had this problem for over 50 years.
I have found a cure but most Doctors wont believe it.
I found that being on oxyneo in my case i need 80 mg once a day and one at night.
If I take them at exactly 8 am and 8 pm it totally disappears.
My doc has reduced my oxy with concerns of addiction, but i would rather some one think i was an addict than live with this awful condition for another day.
I am going to a sleep lab soon to prove my findings.
I know it works and i have it as bad as any of you.
I came across this when I originally toke this med for pain and realized it completly cured my RMD. honest.
Ask to try a lower dose just an hour before bed and i garrantee you will notice a difference.
Got to go now, if any one wants to talk to me more, i can understand you wanting to find relief from this terrible disorder.
Later
I am 67 and have been rolling my head to relax and go to sleep since I was a baby.  I did grow out of it to an extent, however, every once in a while I "have" to do it just to relax.  I am a university professor, a conductor and a internationally known composer.  Obviously this "affliction" didn't turn me into a lump of intimate flesh.  Don't worry.  
I was in tears when I read these replies. I was moved to find out that I wasn’t alone. I am a 25 year old university student and have been rocking for as long as I can remember. It is a nightly ritual before I sleep. A previous poster mentioned music, and I to listen to music and will sway to the tempo. As I child I told one friend who slept over and was ridiculed, and have told no other person sense. I recently moved in with my girlfriend and for the first few months it was hard to sleep next to her. I loved her so much and didn’t want to keep her up, or was afraid she would think I was to strange to be with me. Over the course of the next few months it was easier to fall asleep but I will find myself doing it when she is not around or before a nap (alone). She walked in on me once and just made her presence known. It was the single most embarrassing thing to happen.  

One night I found myself doing it while she was away on a trip. I was terrified at the thought that I would be very old doing it, and it causing me bodily harm to my muscles or brain. After finding these post I have the courage to find medical help to stop this addiction.

My thought over the years are that it’s an OCD tic. I know don’t NEED to do it but i get anxious if I don’t. I have not sought help because I am too stubborn to admit that it’s a real problem. After living with my girlfriend I can say now that it’s a problem and that now more than ever I want this problem no longer.
I promise every person here that when I find a cure or treatment I will make it known. My mother was addicted to prescription medication and I hate the thought that I will need to be medicated to solve this problem.

Thank you to every poster and I wish all of you the best of luck. And to all the parents and significant others who read this please know that this is harder on the person then you could ever imagine. Just love them and be there for them.
Hi there, i am 53 and i have been "body  rocking " myself to sleep for as long as i remember. I am married and my husband works odd hours so many nights i have the bed to myself.  I enjoy body rocking and do it for anywhere from 1-2 hrs then fall to sleep.  It relaxes me and calms my mind.  When we do sleep together i dont rock myself to sleep but its very hard to relax and fall asleep without it.  I have no idea if i do it in my sleep while my husband is beside me, he has never mentioned it but maybe he just wants to save me the embarassment?  My son has ADD and through his diagnosis, i feel i am ADD too (i exhibited all the same behaviors as a child asnhe is experiencing now -poor concentration, hard to stay on task, poor self esteem, not many friends, impulsivity).  I still see alot of these traits in me as an adult but can better manage them now.    As a child i also suffered from epilepsy which I outgrew.  Only had seizures sporadically for a year or two, and maybe it's was just a symptom of having ADD (if it is a symptom). We were very poor and i was the youngest of 6 kids and very well may have been neglected somewhat.  My father strapped us regularly but I dont know if that has anything to do with it ... Thats just how their generation disciplined. I dont see body rocking as a big PROBLEM, it's just who i am. Anyway, accept and love yourself...you are wonderful and unique.
I've been rolling in bed my whole life as well (47). Started out as a going to sleep thing but evolved into that plus a listening to music thing. I have spent whole days rolling to music when I was young. It's a great way to escape and come up with great ideas. I have always thought of it as a type of meditation/creative thinking activity.
Down side is, everyone thinks your nuts! So when I started sharing the bed with girlfriends and then the wife I stopped rolling myself to sleep and only rolled to music when I have opportunities, pretty rare these days. The wife dosent care, just laughs.
I am 13 year old male I have done this since I can remember I do it nearly everynight. I'm scared that when I grow up and have to sleep with a woman its gonna effect my relationship does anyone have any solutions or treatment for this I would apreciate it A LOT PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!
Hey there, like most you guys i have had this disorder for as long as i can remember and am now 26. When i was a kid and i started head banging my mom would just put her hand on me and talk in a calm voice and it would stop and i go to sleep. As i grew older i discovered that i get the urge when i sleep in certain position so i suggest find your position guys.

I'm a Civil Engineer by profession, have a good job and function normally so people don't make those who have feel like a weirdo or think they won't amount to something coz we are pulling through. I still head bang from time to time when stressed but like another article recommended i sleep listening to natures sounds like waves and stuff and it works for me.

Best of luck to those who have this disorder and i hope you learn how to leave with it like i have and to parents with kids who have it just treat them like they don't have it and don't get stressed much by it.
Hi my name is Kirstie I have the say problem I rock my head side to side I use to rock on my hands and knees till I was about 10 but now I lay down and rock my head side to side and t the only way for my to sleep I find it very hard to stop but I don't no how to stop I no wt u mean ppl think u can grow out of it but I'm 18 and I still do it any help
Hello, I'm 15, almost 16 and I have have rocked on my knees and elbows for as long as I can remember. I am desperate for a solution to this now health endangering condition, as it affects my violin playing, which I so hope to be my future career. I have continual backache when sitting incorrectly and during playing the violin. My ankles have previously been at risk as well as my neck. These places of my body are, as I have found, the most prone in my rocking position. I worry seeing adults in their 30's and 40's still with RMD and would give anything for a cure! I have tried forcibly lying still, but as most of you will agree it leads to little sleep and even sleep deprivation which in turn can revert back to rocking. Even if I manage to stop rocking when awake, I still reckon I do it subconsciously when in a light sleep. Can any1 help? If so email me at -----   ***@****
I posted some 4 years back to this thread and just found it again!  I still have 3 that "rock".

12 yr old, 9 yr old and a 5 yr old. All three have autism and all have rocked literally a few days after birth and since then!

The most violent one is the 5 yr old who has numerous bruises from rocking (the now 12 yr old used to be the worst and was black and blue all over the side of his face, but hes since slowed (possibly the double bed so he cant reach walls helped!) so now the 5 yr old is the worst, bashing his head side to side into anything that's near him and feels so pain. His is mostly when hes awake and starting to get tired, he rocks probably a total of about 4 hours a day while away and a good 4 hours during his sleep - rather exhausting for him as you can imagine! We have come to accept it and not stress anymore. I do hope it disappears one day and if it doesn't I hope he ends up with an understanding partner!  I never worked out the cause, all my 3 vary from intellectual disability, right up to the 5 yr old who they think is gifted and extreme IQ, so theres no correlation there - the only thing they have in common is that they all have sensory disorders that are quite extreme - any one else found they have significant sensory issues?
I suffered this from birth and up until recently. I was abused as a child and it is a way to release stress. It wasn't addressed when I was a child because it was assumed that I was doing it on purpose and I was punished when my humming or rocking was so loud that it woke up other people. I was made to sit at the kitchen table for 30 minutes as punishment. I was then sent back to bed and it was even worse...why no one made a connection is so crazy. But I've received therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and it has stopped nearly 100%. I still do it when I am sick (flu, fever, nauseated with vomiting) but to a much less degree. I just turned 39 a few months ago. I have never known it had a name and never knew anyone else. I was too ashamed to seek others and no doctor knew what I was talking about when I called it head banging. A few thought I was literally getting up in the middle of the night and banging my head against the wall...
d_the_man,
   I know how you're feeling. Since I could lift my head, I bounced my head on my pillow.  My mom had to tie my crib to the wall so it wouldn't "walk" across the bedroom floor.  I'm 53 now and still "bounce" to get myself to sleep sometimes.  I find the urge stronger if I haven't worn myself out before I go to bed.  I tend to read on my back until I fall asleep.  That helps.
   When I was your age, I would go to sleep overs and try my best to be the last one to sleep.  I don't know about you, but I have also been known to "bounce" in my sleep.  So, when I would be seen doing that at sleep overs, my friends would wake me and tell me I must have been having a really bad dream! LOL  My very best friends knew and never said or thought anything about it.  It's nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is just your body expanding extra energy it has before you can sleep soundly.  During your trip, if you find yourself laying there not able to sleep, try shaking a leg while laying on your back.  There is nothing wrong with you!  You're just a little high strung and need to wind down before you can sleep.     HeyDee
I am 36 years old. After an all night session of body rolling, i would wake up and my hair would look like Medusa. Actually earning myself the nickname as a teenager from my friends. I seem to get plenty of rest even with my body rolling. However, in the past few years, i have been in a car accident that created a narrowing of my spinal chord at the base of my neck. This body rolling has to stop as i wake up every day in terrible pain all through my back. This pain does subside throughout the day, but i wonder what damages I am causing to my body at this time. When i went to a chiropractor for the first time ever, he took x-rays and found that i was lacking any curvature to my neck and lower spine. It is unclear if this is caused by the body rolling or the car accident. I have always had stiff muscles in my neck and upper back most likely relating to my sleeping movements and lack of ability for those muscles to rest while i am asleep.
I have been into herbs since i was a teenager, and have tried several of them as sleep aids. Very few of them worked. Melatonin worked for a day then the next I was back to "rocking". I have tried over the counter sleep aids, the effects were always short lived. maybe a night or two. I took a temazepam once and woke up groggy and hungover for the better part of the following day. wont be doing that again. But to get to the point... I saw something about rick simpson oil having an effect on involuntary movements of parkinson's disease, which my grandmother had... and an effect muscle spasms, and inflamation reduction which i suffer from on a chronic level given my spinal damage, and decided to try it. I do not live in a state where marijuana is legal, so i took the next best approach... I ordered in Hemp tea from europe and made the oil with it. Hemp is the same species as the pot plant but is a variety that contains little or no thc therefore it is f\perfectly legal in all 50 states. It contains a compound called cbd and another called cbn. These two compounds are the medicine behind medical marijuana. I have included this oil into 2 forms that I use daily. i make drops from the oil by mixing the thick tar like sludge into vegetable glycerin and drop under my tongue int he morning. and i add it to my e-liquid (no nicotine) for use in my e-cig for all day use in vapor form. It has taken me about 3 weeks from the time i started using it to start to see results. I am now in week 4 of "treatment" of course self prescribed.... and i have not looked like medusa for the last 3 days when i wake up in the morning. My boyfriend has said he has slept better too since I have been doing this. Maybe this will help you too.
My mom had the same problem where she would lay on her stomach and bang her head on her pillow to sleep she tried to fix it my just moving her leg then her toes then she ended up stopping all together but my sister ended up having it as well she has tried time and time again to stop but hasnt been able to find a way how shes also perfectly normal and recived good grades in school. At the moment im trying to major in behavior health and am trying to gather more information for my thesis about people who have had this problem passed down threw lineage without a mental disorter like autism being involved if you could please give me more info on your and your sisters condition you can email me at ***@****
Except for the age I stopped, this was exactly my experience. It means a lot to me to read so many other people do the same thing - I really thought I was the only one for my whole life, or had some undiagnosed condition of some kind. For myself it had a calming effect, but was also hypnotic and sometimes gave my thoughts a daydreaming feeling, and other times a more obsessively analytical bent.

At first I rocked at night in my sleep (or trying to get to sleep?) but later on I would do it to music. Same as a lot of posters have described - I did it when I felt happy, or distressed or anxious, or for no real reason. I felt I was able to let something out of me or feel something that couldn't come out any other way. I would listen very closely to music when I rocked, sometimes playing a song I liked over and over (I've been a musician since I was about 12).  I was humiliated a few times in my life when family or friends found me doing it - I  always tried to be very careful and hid it from friends or girlfriends. I went through a few periods of depression or stress where it intensified - I guess because of the soothing nature. The desire for it would stop when I was in relationships and living with someone, but would always come back when I was alone.

I don't know why exactly but it stopped when I was 42. I have a wonderful partner and a young daughter, so perhaps this has something to do with it. But another thing that changed around that time is I started doing traditional Rinzai zazen every day  (maybe 20 minutes/half hour every day). I won't go into zazen here, but I really wonder if something about this meditation practice changed something on a deeper level. I don't personally think rocking is a 'condition' or something to be medicated away - the shame bad feelings about it come more from all the social things.

I'm blown away to read everyone's stories here!
Hi there,
Just came across this web site by accident, I'm 46 & have been rocking my bed for as long as I can remember.
I honestly thought I was the only one & was a complete weirdo, I've been through so many relationships because I've tried to hide it from my girlfriends, how do you explain to someone that you're a grown man but you rock the bed.

when I was younger I was hyperactive (think that's now called ADHD) but my family didn't know any better so they used to batter (hit me) to stop me from being so hyper. I was repeatedly beaten or so I been told, as I fell heavily when I was 10 & seriously fractured my skull (frontal lobe). I don't know if this has anything to do with the way I am now but I totally lost my memory & have no recollection of my younger years.
I also have Restless Leg Sydrome & have been given Mirapixen & also Dyhydramine (sleeping tablets) to help me sleep, I also take a combination of Cocodamol & Anti inflammatries to help me sleep but still struggle most night to get a good night sleep & I stick rock myself to sleep most night.

Since coming across this site I'm going to go & see my doctor & find out if there is anything else they can do to help, as I'm in the UK we have the NHS so hopefully it shouldn't cost me too much but too be honest I'd sell my house for a good night sleep.

So glad to know I'm not alone & there are at least another few others out there like me.
All the best to all of you in your search for a good nights sleep.

Kevin
Hi everyone,

I'm 30 and been rocking my head/body to sleep since i was a baby. It has never really caused any problems for me. As a child I shared a room with my brothers and it annoyed the crap out of my older brother, so he would get me to stop, so i would wait till he was asleep and rock away.  Fast forward to now, I'm married and have a 3 year old (who does not rock her head).  I think the rocking annoys my wife a bit, but not too much. As i learned from childhood, I try not to rock much when she is awake. I find it to be semi-voluntary, most of the time i know I'm doing it or do it on purpose, but some times i find my head rocking without consciously starting to do it. I can go for long periods where i stop myself from doing it, but have found that its not really worth the bother.

Trying to describe why i do it to someone else is difficult, as i don't really know why i do it. But if i had to try i would say that there is a kind of pressure/stiffness at the base of my skull/back of neck and rocking relaxes that feeling. Also a good strong massage of the neck helps me.

Anyway to conclude, I have gotten used to it and it doesn't hinder my life in any way, nor does it seems to have caused any brain damage:)  I haven't ever tried to find a medical solution to this and don't think its worth taking drugs over. Some of you may have a stronger/worse case and it might aversely affect your life and I hope you find a solution that works for you.
A good night to you all!

Erik
I guess I should start by saying that I don't rock or bounce my head, but.....

I am a 56 year old woman. I have been rocking the bed, or kicking my leg literally all of my life. As a young child, my first memory of my father was how it felt, and sounded, when he would come in my room and beat me through my diaper for "horseying" in my crib. I guess I would move the bed across the floor. (I found this out when I confronted my father about the beatings).

When the horseying stopped, the kicking began. I kick my leg, one or the other, all night long. I remember my mother coming into my room and catching a leg, holding onto it for a minute, then laying it down. Usually the kicking would resume before she got back to bed. (then dad would scream)

I have taken medications off and on in my adult years to no avail...I guess I am just destined to kick. I do find it comforting to know that I am not alone in this.

Thanks for allowing me to vent,
Judy
Hello, Doing some research on RMD for my 2.5yo and came across this post.

I wonder whether you have had any success with the 'hallelujah diet'? My thoughts are around whether or not this condition could have some link to additives, preservatives and the like.

Hoping your still online  :)

Many Thanks
Hi everyone,
I am the wife of a lifelong "rocker". I can tell you it isn't easy. I am tired all the time. Sometimes I can actually get to sleep, but a lot of the time I go to our guestroom to sleep. I have tried earplugs, and a different mattress, but nothing helps.
My husband went to a sleep clinic 10 years ago and they basically said to him, "Ya, you rock". Wow thanks Doctors!! If he isn't rocking, he is snoring very loud, and sometimes has sleep apnea (stops breathing for a period)
It scares the hell out of me!
I just stumbled on this site today, and was so surprised to see so many people here with the disorder!! The bigger surprise though is that no doctors have posted any comments... isn't this site supposed to comment, and suggest some help?
And by the way, none of you need to worry or be embarrassed with anyone. When I met and fell in love with my husband it had no affect on loving him or wanting to be with him. To me it was just a quirky thing. We have been married 15 years, and sometimes (I want to throttle him !... :) but mostly it doesn't affect us.

I do hope something can be found to help! Keep posting!
Hi everyone,
It scares the hell out of me!

Here's another 'rocker' with her story.  I am 67 years old and have rocked myself to sleep ALL MY LIFE!!!  I can remember back when I was four or five years old sitting upright in my aunt's overstuffed chair and bouncing my head on the back cushion until I went to sleep, too.  
My rocking is mostly done subconsciously. If I think about it, I can control it.  But if my brain gets sidetracked reading or watching tv, it kicks in automatically.  The majority of time I am unaware I am rocking with such fervor and my dear, dear husband of 45 years occasionally will shout my name and startle me,  and then I can stop. We have a very firm bed and usually my rocking doesn't bother him.  But there are times . . .  
I have tried sleep aids, both natural and Rx, pain meds, OTC and Rx, alcohol, food, sex, hot tub, constant movement, exercise or hard physical work to the point of fatigue and nothing stops it. The work and fatigue just makes the fibromyalgia flare up.  I have found no cure for my rocking, but I can control it most of the time by being aware of the movement.
Strangely enough, the rocking is very comforting at times.  I didn't read all of the comments above, so I don't know if anybody addressed the possibility of RMD being heriditary.  I don't know that any of my siblings or parents had this quirk, but about four years ago I noticed one of my grandsons bouncing his head on the couch while he was watching tv.  He and his twin both rocked when they were real little, especially at bedtime.
I guess it's just mind over matter.  And like Maxine would say: Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!!! lol
I'll tell you my short story hell....
I am almost 41. Since I was 2-3 I have had the most severe form of this. Never bothered me because I would sleep better when I did it. From what I've been told it started when my parents first started fighting at night and then at 3 they divorced. As I got older I tended to do it more when I was cold at night. My body temp is always 1-2 degrees below 98.6 so at night when sleeping my body temp would drop more. As I got older into highschool I quickly stopped all sports because of  the away games. All my life I always had girls women and even one of my female teachers....all women liked me and/or wanted to lay with me.  I was always shy and moved around and was the new person at school/town/work. EVERY girl/woman I dated always loved me and then it would get to the point at every relationship of sex and spending the night. the next day was them leaving me. I would even tell them my condition before hand, but until they actually saw it, I guess it scared the hell out of them. the internet wasn't around then and I thought I was the only one. I decided to google it a few years ago not knowing it had a name. I was brought to sleep clinics and no one knew what to make I it, even my mom and step mom who were nurses. As it turns out...being from a typical dysfunctional family, since I was young all I wanted was to have my own family, not be divorced -"and to provide for them. I graduated 1.5 years early and started in my career. At 41 I still have no family, and after being in the Bay Area making &50/hour  I found out with a single income I can't buy a house. So I keep moving trying to find where to settle and the curse has left me at about 36 years of age. I've lost friends and girlfriends and even 2 fiancés over this ****. Being 40 and not having a family my employer won't offer me any promotions because I'm looked at as something is wrong with me. I am always the best in any company within my trade and now it's the younger people with new families promoted. It's so bad now that I get 8 months per year of work an that's because I'm one of a handful of people that know how to do certain things in my trade. I am a union electrician, and they only call me in to do the main electrical rooms and generators and batteries for anything critical that must never go down. I have only worked for one company in the union but because I have no family I am the one who sits at home because they wouldn't lay me off. I'm too valuable. Needless to say I know that because of my looks, and what I can do, and how much I make, and what I'm needed for in my trade....I am only wanted for that, and I usually have to train my bosses or they dump it on me if they don't know. I should be working all year and be the boss but I have no family. The only reason I don't have one isn because of this sleep disorder. Any woman I dated loved me and I knew that there's nothing wrong with me. I have excellent credit, no debt, always help others, etc. but I know as soon asi would hear them tell me how "amazing" I was then as soon as we spend the night....they would leave. Now my dad died a few years ago and not only am single, no house, etc. my parents at least my dad, died thinking in a failure in life. I wouldn't wish this **** on anyone. The only thing I now have in my favor is that I will be 41 in July and I still look 30. As soon as I start looking my age then my career will be done because in today's safety culture and with the abusiceuncle idiots in management, I will get less hours. I been in my trade 22 years now.....I hate this condition and it sometimes comes back when its cold during my sleep.
Anyone who struggles with body rocking, rhythmic leg movements, head movements, etc. ...I've had it my whole life. I just made a video about the treatment that I have crafted for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Wkie62R04
My husband of 15 years also bangs his head violently.  Needless to say, we have never shared a room.  I am a person that needs sleep.
We have a daughter that does the same thing.  But her rocking affects her capability to function during school and has a very negative affect on her academic achievement.
Has your husband sought a second opinion?
Wow, didn't realize so many others had this.  I'm 48, and I rocked my head side to side in bed to get to sleep, preferably with radio on, until it tapered off in college.  I would only do it when my roommates were out for the night.  After college it picked up again for a couple years since I had my own apartment, but I stopped immediately whenever I had a girlfriend over and, eventually, live in girlfriends, due to embarrassment if anyone ever found out (I figured I was the only one in the world who did it).

In my early childhood, I used to bang my head back and forth in the car and on chairs while watching television.  Parents were not happy about this and often tried to correct me as I reached about 7 or 8. After that, I quit on my own because it was too embarrassing to do it in public.

I had a normal childhood, no mental or physical issues to speak of.  Sometimes I wondered if I had a very low level of autism or something, or just an obsessive compulsive thing going on.  It was very soothing and definitely helped me get to sleep when I was younger; the thought of not doing it to get to sleep seemed incomprehensible to me and I did have some anxiety when I went to college as I wondered to myself, how in the world am I going to quit cold turkey because there was no way I wanted anyone to know.
I am 52 and I have been rocking myself to sleep as long as I can remember about age 5. I rock my whole body from side to side. If I am worrying about anything I tend to rock faster and wake up looking like I have been dragged through a bush backward. I am able to control it at times only tend to suffer with the problem when I sleep alone that's my assessment over the years. Neither of my girls suffer with the problem. On a good note think it's helped me to keep the weight of a none stop work out.
Yellow RMD rockers. I am 34, rocking since 1yo. I can do it all night/day long, mostly not sleep at all. Typicaly RMD people takes 3-15 minuts of rocks and then they go to sleep. Me 'normaly' takes 2-3 hours or more and after short sleep (2-3 hours) I am rocking again for hours. Whole my life I was very exercised and sporty, always doing things for 110%.
Now in age 34 I have NO energy left. My head is very painfull and my heart is weak. (after RMD nights)

The only things is helping me is smoking cannabis (marihuana) thc implementation. After inhalation I am sleeping like a child (min. 7 hours) and in the morning I now what to do:
healthy breakfast, coffee and cigarette (nicotine), then some house work or newspaper or shoping and then the 1st blunt and then I am happy that I am living! and being! Doing everything what normal people do, but maybe little more lazy....
For me it is worth being like that and sleeping and regenerating at night.

THC is making HUNDREDS percent more of melatonina in the pineal gland. The best results I get smoking all day, every 2-3-4 hours. In my country (Poland) it's illegal, so I can not have propper access. So the treatment is selectively.

After inhalation I feel like REAL human, but nobody is accepting this, becouse they still think that Ganja = Devil.

What is another method? Antidepresant's. But this **** will destroy your body, orgasm and everything. So I do not even try it. NEVER ever.
And there is no evidence that in my hard RMD symptom will help.

The problem is in da BRAIN - that 4 shure.
I think that we have defective pineal gland.
Some of us more, some less.....
Oh, I can add that after THC intake If I am trying to rock in bed I get disgorge (puke) feeling so I automaticly stop to rock after two-three moves. So if your children do not stop this until 8yo, parents should think about thc oil. If you are adult you decide for your own.

Even when I was sleeping (as a child and adult) mostly I had nightmare's. After cannabis I had no dream at all. That is to beautiful that can be true. But it is! Lieing in bed for 7 hours without move - this what I need after my short (long rocking) life.

The problem is, that is illegal (law and mental) and doctors do not know nothing about RMD in Poland. They still call that 'choroba sieroca' (orphans illnes).

Magic plant is the cure in RMD. Like in epilepsy.