Sleep Disorders Community
Risperdal side effects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Risperdal side effects?

Dear Friends

When I was a teenager I developped the habit of being awake at night, specially because at night I felt I was more creative, more active and more willing to do things (I'm a part-time writer an activist). It turned out that when I was in college I had troubles because of this (I had to sleep during the day, I was always tired).

So my doctor, in order for me to go to sleep earlier and have ordered habits, put me on Risperdal (I take 0.5 mg per night), the dose hasn't been increased or anything like this. I had no mental troubles or diseases, and no serious emotional sickness or anything like this (I just felt stronger and more active during the night).

I've been taking this medicine for about 8 years and I've noticed I've become less interested in the things I liked before, I've become a pasive person, indifferent and I am afraid of everything (I've become obsesively careful about many things). I have also become very lazy and apathic. I have also developped erection problems.

If I miss my nightly dose of Risperdal, I can't sleep at all (I feel as if I was about to fall asleep, hearing voices in my mind and seeing images in my mind. Notice that these are not halucinations as I know they're in my mind and not real, it's like the ones everyone experiences when he/she is about to sleep but I never go to the next step, that is to fully sleep, I don't sleep at all). I didn't have this problem before I started taking this medication (at that time I just didn't want to sleep but I could do so).

I've read on the Internet that this medication is given to schizophrenics and other mentally ill people and that it has side effects. I've also read that in the U.S. and other countries, only psychiatrists deal with these medications.

Should I leave this medicine? What can I do? Will I be unable to sleep without it?