Sleep Disorders Community
SOOOO tired....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

SOOOO tired....

I'm so tired!!!  Such a simple complaint that has taken over my life.  Over 18 months of mind numbing, life-disturbing fatigue.  I am so tired I literally can't see straight, am clumsy, and frequently let my husband do all the driving- which I hate because I hate not driving.
I've had the thyroid tests, was on synthroid for low TSH and low FT4.... no other signs of hypopituitary so the doctor stopped the synthroid.  I was tired on synthroid, continue to be tired not taking synthroid.  Most labs are normal.... mag chronically low despite replacement.   Hgb/hct low normal to high normal.... 12-16 for hgb.  Low ferritin.... I suffered through iron for over half a year and my ferritin went from 39 to 40.   WBC normal, occasional low lymphocytes, but just a point or two under normal range.  Normal UA, normal 24hr UA except I drink alot, so I pee alot.  Negative diabetes insipidus.  Negative ANA, DS-ANA, and rheumatoid factor.  Negative celiac. Normal head CT.  I stopped working third shift- still tired.  I take multivitimins, mag, b-complex and I've eaten a disgustingly healthy diet for years- even before the fatigue.... I'm still tired.  In the past year I've gained weight despite said diet..... so now I'm tired AND fat.  I have had depression- years ago.... I've not been depressed in a decade but this is going to cause depression if I don't start to have enough energy.
So... I saw a neurologist- my epworth scale was over 20.  I've had restless legs/ PLMD my whole life.   No snoring or sleep apnea-like symptoms per family and husband.  I started taking Provigil a couple of months ago.... now I'm ok for a few hours and then back to the same old fatigue.  
Now I'm scheduled for a sleep study, and more labs.... sed rate, EBV titer, and lyme just to complete the million-dollar workup. I'm frustrated, and would be angry except I don't have the energy to sustain the effort to be angry, lol.
SO... my question.....
Has anyone had RLS/PLMD... had it their whole life.... and suddenly started having problems?  If my sleep study confirms the RLS, and I start mirapex or something similiar... please.... someone tell me it cured them.  I love my job, my husband, and my kids.... I'm so afraid the fatigue is going to interfere with the poeple and things I love.
I have RLS/PLMD. Took Mirapex for several years, now on Requip. The meds have not cured me, but they do give me significant periods of time where I can get decent sleep and feel more rested. I also have sleep apnea, but the sleep studies didn't pick it up for several years because my legs moved so often I rarely slept enough for it to show up.
The meds do have side effects in some, so do your homework.

I think the sleep study is a good idea. It will tell you how many movements you have and how often they disturb your sleep stages.
When I read your post, I felt as though you wrote my situation almost verbatim. So tired that I'm not functioning normally (clumsy, etc.), being treated for hypothyroid but still feeling exhausted, low iron for a while, but still tired after treatment, neg diabetes, neg RA factor however positive for MCTD, neg celiac, gained weight despite good diet & supplements, Epworth scale = 20, had RLS my whole life with no snoring or sleep apnea and suddenly at age 42 I feel like someone is drugging me. I also took Provigil and was OK for a couple hours then back to complete exhaustion. After ditching Provigil, my doctor gave me amphetamines, and I took naps right through them.
I had a sleep study test done and got results yesterday. Before the test I thought this is just another test that we can get out of the way and move on to the real deal because I think I sleep OK, but turns out that I have severe PLMD. My PCP wants to send me to a pulmonologist??? Don't have sleep apnea...  Anyway, if I take a medication for this I'll keep you posted. I heard Requip has a LOT of side effects, such as...dizziness, faintness, nausea, vomiting, unusual fatigue or drowsiness, indigestion, sweating, increased susceptibility to viral infection, headache. So I probably won't be experimenting with that one although it's supposed to be the first-line of treatment for RLS. The other most promising drug seems to be gabapentin
(Neurontin), but I am already taking Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and Lyrica is like gabapentin as an anti-seizure drug. And since I''m already taking it, it clearly isn't working for the PLMD. Shoot!  Is anyone taking something (even alternative) that actually works?!  Thanks!