Sleep Disorders Community
Screaming Dream

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Screaming Dream

I recently had a dream that baffles and terrorfied me, not because of what happens but from what I can and cannot remember. The most I can remember is emotions, like I was being pressured to say something, something that would either change my life and the lives of those around me for the worst. The more I refused the stronger this pressure got until I fell I was collapsing in on myself and then finally I screamed out into the darkness with tears streaming down my face, "I HATE EVERYTHING!", and I woke up. I didn't immediately realize what happened but then the emotions and pressure flooded back to me and I just started crying again, curling myself into a ball before falling back into an uneasy sleep.

I want to know if there is an explanation for what happened, my fear isn't of the event, though that is disturbing, but how this affected me so strongly that I remember only that so vividly. Is this related to something, will this happen again?
Tags: dreams, screaming, scared, hatred, overwhelming pressure, and emotions, please help me, Crying, Fear, sleep, Life
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

During sleep, the body cycles between non-REM and REM sleep. Typically, people begin the sleep cycle with a period of non-REM sleep followed by a very short period of REM sleep. Dreams generally occur in the REM stage of sleep.

Intense dreaming occurs during REM sleep as a result of heightened brain activity, but paralysis occurs simultaneously in the major voluntary muscle groups. REM is a mixture of encephalic (brain) states of excitement and muscular immobility. For this reason, it is sometimes called paradoxical sleep and its difficult to explain why specific dreams happen. The study on dreams is still abstract.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.