Seeing things after i wake up from dreaming
This has happened to me twice and i'm curious about it. I wake up in the middle of the night from dreaming and when i open my eyes i see 3-D holographic figures. The first time it happened to me i thought blinking would make it go away but it was still there. The second time i tried looking around to the room and everywhere i would look the figure was there. It eventually went away but it weirded me out. So am i hallucinating or is it some type of dream state i'm not aware of?
Seems to me to be some type of temporary vision problem.
You may not be completely awake and you mind is still in somewhat of a dream state.
Do you take any medication or alcohol before sleep?
Who was the 'figure'??  This may give you some insight as to why you see it.
Look up symptoms of Narcolepsy. Sounds wierd, but it is very hard to diagnose, and that is one of the major symptoms of it. It usually (but not always!) shows up between ages 10-25. Symptoms include-

Cataplexy (loss of muscle control): People with narcolepsy often have a sudden loss of muscle control while awake, usually triggered by strong emotions, such as laughing.

Hallucinations: Some people with narcolepsy experience vivid, sometimes frightening, visual or auditory sensations while falling asleep or upon awakening.

Sleep paralysis: Sleep paralysis is the inability to move or talk at the beginning or end of sleep.

Microsleep: Microsleeps are very brief sleep episodes during which people with narcolepsy continue to function (talk, put things away, etc.), and then awaken with no memory of the activities.

Nighttime wakefulness: People with narcolepsy may have periods of wakefulness at night, with hot flashes, elevated heart rate, and sometimes intense alertness.

Rapid entry into REM sleep: Narcoleptics have unique sleep cycles. They enter the REM, or dream, phase of sleep right after falling asleep, whereas most people take about 90 minutes to enter the REM phase. Someone with narcolepsy will experience the characteristics of REM sleep (vivid dreams and muscle paralysis) at the beginning of sleep, even if that sleep is during the day.  

It can take YEARS if not decades to diagnose, if you don't have Cataplexy.

Could also be that you aren't quite awake yet. Definatly talk with your doc though. Sorry to put all this in here. I am kinda fascinated with it right now because they think I have it.....
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!  I thought I was the only one who had that problem!!  It scares the S*** out of me!!!  It's like a ghost or something!!  I had someone tell me it was a "waking" dream..  Once I woke up and thought my mother was standing over me - and when I went to talk to her she vanished..  I was soooo freaked out I went into her room and woke her up.. lol..  However, I'm a severe insomniac - I don't think I have Narcolepsy..  Sometimes I'd rather have that than insomnia..  maybe I should bite my tongue..  dunno.. I know it's WEIRD!!!
Thanks for the info. I will definitely do some research.
I don't take any medication at all and i can't recall who the figure was. I do remember it was a female though.
I know what you mean. My figures weren't life size though, mine were small. A good example would be like in Star Wars when obi wan kenobi and luke were watching that message from princess leia.