Sleep Disorders Community
Seeing things that feel so real

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Seeing things that feel so real

Hi, I'm Liz. I'm 26 and for the past couple days I've been having very strange/scary "dreams" except they seem very real. I've been at the point of sleep when I've opened my eyes and my ceiling fan has seemed to be very close to my face. It jolts me awake and I swear that it's real! Another time I thought I saw a hand coming out from the ceiling. It's distressing and I feel like I can't go back to sleep. I am on medication for migraines (depakote er) but hallucinations are not a side effect. I have also had sleep paralysis in the past. Any ideas what this could be?
You need to go see your doctor (the one that put you on Depakote). Hallucinations can be a serious side effect from the drug and one that needs to be addressed as soon as you can. If you would like to see if you might be having other side effects or just read more about the drug visit www.rxlist.com and just type in the name.

I am also allergic to it. It caused my neck to start swelling up and I had to be switched to something else. Please talk with your doctor about it.
It's weird because it only happens as I'm falling asleep. I'm barely conscious and then I see something that isn't or shouldn't be there. The only thing I can think of that would do this is the depakote ER.