Sleep Disorders Community
Sleep Apnea - Did It Cause My Mitral Regurgitation or Pulmonary Stenosi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Sleep Apnea - Did It Cause My Mitral Regurgitation or Pulmonary Stenosis?

As I sit here I can feel an unusual vibration in my chest; it is a 'wobbling' sensation which is quite strong, after the initial LUB of systole. I have been in good health for the past ten years but had a major problem in 2005 when I began to wake up with shaking, chilled legs, and a flow murmur; the murmur started out very softly and grew until I could feel it throughout my circulation; the experience was extremely frightening and over the next year I visited many docs and a few cardiologists to determine the cause. I finally had a resting ECHO in July 2005 which showed nothing abnormal although there was trivial mitral regurg. I have suffered from Sleep Apnea for many years and recently, the flow murmur came back with a vengance, after an absence of more than a year. For the past three months I was waking up with a growing sense of suffocation and would wake up suddenly, usually after a vivid dream, and a thumping heartbeat. At the same time, the flow murmur began to come back and it has grown somewhat worse over the past month. To combat the symptoms I began to take Propranalol again (which I had been off for about a year) and visited the doc dutifully; he put me on Atenelol and suggested I have a new ECHO if the symptoms don't abate. I am able to breathe normally, don't suffer from shortness of breath through the day; and my BP is normal although sometimes systolic can be 150 and diastolic abobe 90 but I know these are reasonable. My question is, is it possible the Doppler Echo I had in the UK in 2005 missed a small ASD or VSD, or a weakness in the Mitral or other valve which is only exacerbated by the sleep apnea (I am extremely allergic to dust and dust mites)? I know the only answer to that is to have another ECHO; but the problem is that I am almost certain nothing will be found. Yet this very worrying vibration continues. Note: the vibration is directly after the second heartbeat and it feels just like something is wobbling; it feels like someone shaking a rope and there are a couple of wobbles. About two weeks ago I began taking Propanalol which immediately reduced the flow murmur; but not until I took 40 mg x 3 or 4 tabs at the same time! Over the next week, the flow murmur subsided a lot (I get it especially at night) but then it morphed into a 'wobble.' I do not want to worry about this as the worry makes me ill; but ignoring it completely and depending on chemicals to subdue what may be a physical abnormality (which may or may not require some kind of intervention at a later date) is not, in my opinion, the very best forward plan. Over the past five years I have gained some appreciation of the difficulties involved in medical interventions and the fact is that any intervewntion comes with risks -- especially anything to do with Cardiovascular health. For this reason, I prefer to monitor myself and try to control the risk as best as possible (especially because I currently have no private health insurance); is there any way I can find a definitive answer to this problem? I believe a solid answer may be found by buying a CPAP machine and getting used to it (especially if my sleep apnea is central -- please note I am not overweight, and have no history have diabetes or heart problems or cancer in my family -- although my father had an AAA which he died from at 63 due to complications); but I really do not wish to buy a CPAP machine. Is it possible my sleep apnea has overstressed my pulmonary valve(s) which, in turn, has caused me some further problem that is resulting in the vibration? I find it interesting that taking two aspirin (100 mg each) soon reduces the vibration to a minimum, implying that? some kind of stenois is involved. I would be so pleased if this is the case, because untreated regurgitation is (from what I have read) pathological in all cases, whereas Stenois can be fixed reasonably easily.