Sleep Disorders Community
Sleep apnea and ativan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Sleep apnea and ativan

I have sleep apnea - I think it's mild although I don't remember exactly as I haven't been for a sleep test in a couple of years.
I've just been prescribed ativan by my doctor for my ocd and anxiety as I am going on a backpacking trip in Europe for two months and would like to have as little anxiety as possible.
I'm wondering if there is any danger in taking 1mg doses of ativan if I have sleep apnea. It's worth noting that I intend to use the ativan to combat worrying throughout the day, not as a sleep aid.
I'd be grateful for any input/thoughts on whether it is safe to take ativan with my sleep apnea and if it's any safer if I take it in the morning and not the evening.
Thanks :)
What "kind" of sleep apnea?  If obstructive sleep apnea anything that relaxes your throat could aggravate OSA.  

I suggest doing a web search on you subject as well as read the sided effects.

From youy plans it sounds like you don't have a weight problem (one cause of throat obstructions) nor are you old.   The effective time period of your medication would also be an item to consider - if 8 hours or less and you don't take after 8 hours before "bedtime" I'd think there can't be much interaction with SA.

Enjoy, that should ease the anxiety.
You seem very informative about sleep apnea. I've yet to be diagnosed but after a couple of months of researching my symptoms and a visit to the ER in 2 months, I've finally concluded that I have a severe case of Obstructive sleep apnea. Prior to dozing off I'd feel my lungs and stomach collapsing knocking all air out of me, causing my heart to palpitate and loss of oxygen to my head. I'd wake up in a panic gasping for air. Please sir tell me, how would I be able to overcome this problem?? It's very frightening to me knowing that it's possible that I can go to sleep and never wake up again. Your advice would be great sir. Thankyou..
I've visited the ER 4 times in 2 months*