Sleep Disorders Community
Sleep apnea and/or postnasl drip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Sleep apnea and/or postnasl drip

Well, in 2009 I went to a pulmonogist for help with my mild to moderate asthma and told him that I wake up sometimes like I my chest just caved in or something or was jolted awke by something, and that my heart sometimes skips a beat during the day, so  he signed me up for a sleep study and I had 4 obstructive apneas, 86 hyponeas 0 mixed, and 1 central. I had an AHI of 14.0 so he put me on a cpap with a pressure of 6.
Everything was fine until about a year into treatment I would occasionaly wake up feeling as though I just stopped breathinig with cpap on at night. I had another study where I didn't sleep at all hardly because that cpap delivered air way different than mine at home, and the Dr. said that I still need to be a pressure of 6, but he got me a new comfy nasal mask that doesn't leak as much. Well after still waking up like I stoppped breathing with that mask I went to a sleep specialst who looked at the past sleep studies and sent me home with a monitor for a night has just told me he thinks that I DON'T have sleep apnea and told me to sleep two weeks without the cpap and gave me some non-addictive sleeping pills (Silenor) because I was having an anxious spell and he knew it would be hard for me to get to sleep and stay asleep.
  I am following his orders, but I notice that I have a lot of post nasal drip and I have a strong feeling that is waking me up when it blocks my air passage. So, what the heck do I do now? I'm not supposed to use the cpap for another week now, but I'm not getting good sleep. Do I even have OSA?