Sleep Disorders Community
Sleeping Paralysis and the feeling of blood flushing under my skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I have had plenty of experiences where I felt like someone was pinning me down, or felt a shaking of the chest that may or may not match my pulse, or even scary experiences where I was convinced something was holding me down and trying to steal my soul.  Who knows what was really happening?  But it was terrifying at the time.

This post however is about an experience I had about a month ago.  I am simply wondering if anyone had a similar experience or if anyone knows what happened.

I had about 2 alcoholic drinks and then stopped and waited to become a designated driver at a local party.  I kept trying to sneak sleep in my car.  When they relocated I gave them all a ride and tried to catch some sleep again.  At one point I found a blow up bed in a dark room and laid down to sleep for good.  I knew someone was going to come in later and share the bed and I wasn't worried about it.  Here's the weird thing.  I had been sleeping deeply when he came in to lay down but I woke up instantly.  Every single time he adjusted I felt my entire body flush with this electric sparkly feeling from my anterior to my posterior side.  It flowed like blood rushing just under my skin and slowed as it approached my sides near the bed.  Every single movement he made as he got comfortable caused it to happen again.  I started semi dreaming (i'm pretty sure) that he was on top of me holding me down because I couldn't move.  I kept trying to move and could hear everything and feel everything but could not speak or move.  I was only vaguely aware of my consciousness though and it seemed I was still flowing in and out of imaginative predicaments.  The blood rushing and paralysis was real though.  That was the only thing keeping me awake was that and my fear.  

This kept happening until I eventually gave up and the guy next to me eventually stopped moving.  I figured I'd wake up hours later and wonder about it then.  I was too tired to fight it and just wanted to sleep.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
The symptoms you are experiencing could be due to an entity called sleep paralysis. When this happens in sleep the person has difficulty moving his hands or feet. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. This sleep disorder is characterized by excessive day time sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnogogic hallucinations and automatic behavior. You will need to consult your primary care physician, who may schedule you for a polysomnogram (sleep test) to rule out sleep disorders and initiate appropriate therapy.
Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
never considered a sleep test before. didn't even know there was such a thing.  thank you.