Sleep Disorders Community
Sleeping most of the day??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Sleeping most of the day??

My husband has many health issues and one is sleep apnea (on pypap since 1990). He recently experienced a high fever 103.8 and the hospital only loaded him on antibiotics IV and sent him home...Since then he is always tired and sleeps most of the day.  If I try and wake him before he "naturally" wakes...around 11AM; He will have seizures. (Also has non-treatable seizures of unknown origin). Thyroid tests are normal...Blood work normal...Sleep study done 4 months ago to adjust treatment of Sleep apnea via bypap machine.

The doctors seem to be at loss what to do and say...he probably needs to sleep??  This has been going on since 01/1/12

Any thoughts?
Keep in mind that I am not a doctor and this is only my opinion. You could check with his doctor about raising the air flow on his breathing machine to see if that will help him sleep better. I would then talk with his neurologist about trying differnet types of medications and also if he or she thinks that having a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (vns) would be helpful.
I hope everything works out and do not give up.
thanks for the recommendations. His pressure is as high as the machine will go...but thanks for the other ideas
Take care
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Post infection and the seizure medications must be making him sleepy. But please don’t venture to discontinue his medications without consulting your doctor. The symptoms could be the side effects of the medications. Discuss his symptoms with your consulting doctor he may change the dose or the medications.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.