Sleep Disorders Community
Sleeping too much

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Sleeping too much

I've always been a night owl, in fact my family is the perfect example of one. However, in the last 3 months or so, I've suddenly needed 15 hours of rest/sleep a night. I fight going to bed at 9:15 but I can't do anything productive after that hour. Same in the morning, I try to get up before 12:30 but I'm not really able to do anything functional before then. The doctor's right now keeping an eye on things and is a little concerned. I had been recently placed on an anti-depressant and the doctor is questioning whether that might be what is causing my sleep problems. My question is that I have a friend's wedding coming up and I really would like to stay for the reception (which will be starting around my 9:15 bedtime). Is there anything which I can do to get a boost of energy for that one night which would allow me to stay and celebrate with her?
Hi how are you? Can you give some details as to how many hours you used to sleep early and what was your routine sleep cycle? Are you studying or attending your work (is it on a shift basis). Obstructive sleep apnea could be a reason for you to wake up frequently in order to regain your breath resulting in number of awakenings per night, many times you may not even be aware of it ending up having excessive daytime sleep because of fatigue, feeling unrefreshed after sleeping, and daytime sleep attacks at your workplace. Added to all these, stress you are going through can be a trigger. Modafinil can be tried for narcolepsy. I am sure change in environment and people will have positive impact and you will enjoy your friends wedding, do not worry. It would be better to consult your doctor before you chose to take any drug for an evaluation. Share your thoughts. Take care.