Sleep Disorders Community
Something wrong with me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Something wrong with me

When i was younger i would come home from school and just be so tired that i would curl up on the couch and sleep. After 30 mins or an hour of sleep i was fine ready to go. However, as i progressed and got older it got to the point where if i didn't have that time to sleep it off i would get to a point where i no longer had a choice if i wanted to sleep or not it would just happen. I was given a stimulant around that time to up my alertness during the day, this worked but the dose had to be upped continually because after 3 or so months it lost its affect. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure which is was took me off the pill, i then went for a sleep test. I was told i had sleep apnea and that i would need to wear a mask while sleeping for now on. I continued with the symptoms of near uncontrollable sleep during the day even while on the mask. After several years i went back for a study they told me i was fine i didn't have apnea asked for the machine back and that was the end of it. Ever since however, i just have not felt right.

I take naps during the day normally for an hour or 2 but if i wanted to honestly i could sleep for 4-6 wake up and go back to bed at a normal time and sleep another 9 without a problem. The real problem i am seeing is the symptoms ill list below.

Uncontrollable sleepiness *Fall asleep as a passenger in a car with my chin on my chest in seconds, Fall asleep while driving for very short periods 3 seconds at most and wake up, get an urge where its almost like im blacking out and i cant do anything to stop it*

Sleeping becoming TO easy * ill often prepare for bed, lay down and within 1 minute i am asleep.*

Increased drowsiness * This used to be solved by a very brief nap however, as i got older the period i have to sleep during a nap is getting longer and longer to achieve the effect of no longer being tired the rest of the day*

I Just don't know if i should go back to the doctor and ask for a stimulant again or what because the sudden onset of sleepiness that results in falling asleep while driving or with my chin on my chest while driving *which looks absolutely stupid from the drivers perspective* and having to take increasingly long naps just to avoid these uncontrollable blackouts is getting to much.

Adult male 20 years old
anyone got any answers?
Howdy do, Mr. J'...

I don't have any professional answers for you, I'm just a grumpy old man of 48 who had many an odd malady since clear back to grade school; I absolutely relate to the mention of short little, frighteningly unavoidable "NAPS" 2-3-4 seconds - WHILE DRIVING!

Dude... Yeah huh!!! Those will make you a bit sketchy in short order eh! (quivers) I remember needing to begin a 3 hour drive at 3 A.M  - dead of winter, kept all 4 windows down, radio cranked to max, singin like a blasted fool at the top of my lungs and rocking back in forth as far as the seat and steering wheel would allow... PRAYING that I wouldn't slip off.

That's just one example of THOUSANDS mate..

I suppose that Sleep Centers can be good, bad, totaly rotten, average - just like every other market - right... It certainly SOUNDS like you have real, "CLINICAL" issues - and issues that NEED to gwet sorted out before you hurt yourself or/and someone else - or worse.

I was finaly sorted out with severe obstructive sleep apnea as wel as narcolepsy with non emotional cataplexy...

Wild as hades yo - I'll be standing there, fully conversational, placing a cup of java in the nuke, and the lights just go out - boom, I fall out - break bones - fingers, ribs, tear muscles - rotator cuff, ligaments; straight up! I've completely thrashed this body these past 4 years! I'd say on average I'm still fallin down and goin boom at least 3 X'sin a 24 hour period X's 3 -4 periods then I regain a firm pattern again for 4-8 days; then back to , "uh oh"!

I used a ton of hard core street drugs back in the glory days tho; I'd be betting that I've just mutated the carp out of the Dopamine, Seretonin and NorEpinephi' factories and distribution terminals - gots all kind of synapz screechin around in this brain pan tryin to go zap - and things just aren't shapin up to code anymore!

After 3 full sleep studies - yes - it did take alot of time and $$$ - I was diagnosed with the above, I'm non tolerant to a cpap, bi-pap, PAPs of any persuasion - my breathing has gotten so bad now that I'm on a constant 4 lpm 24/7 anyhow; but what I found to litteraly be a "LIFESAVER" was a med called Provigil.

I remember back to the High School days when I was jamming a ball point pen into the palm of my hand to induce enough pain stimulation in attempt to just not fall asleep again in a class; just to hear that papermate make a loud click as it hit the tile floor - about 4 seconds before the louder "thump" which would be my head meating the surface of the desk.

Serious stuff J' - get thee to a Physician mon... Hey - can you like rig up a CamCorder on your dash board or something?

Take them in some real video footage evidence: "HERE! This is what MY life looks like - now do you REALLY wanna share a 2 lane road with me"?

PROVIGIL  (professional vigillance) ...
They don't know "WHY or HOW it works"; just that it does!