Sleep Disorders Community
Stop breathing while sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Stop breathing while sleeping

I had a test to check for oxyagen level overnight just wearing the sensor on my finger and i saw heart dr today and the results showed i stopped breathing 75 times so he is going to have me on oxyagen at night.Im dizzy alot and i do have mild sleep apnea and i take ativan for anxiety my question is......would all this cause dizziness.Im so dizzy every day
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will relax you and help with sleep problem and get extra oxygen into the blood.These exercises help the body to work on the underlying problem and help to keep the body healthy.When the body's software starts to work well, it will make you sleep, so that it can continue to do body maintenance work in the night. You will see the benefits in a few days.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of weeks.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are  you? Sleep apnea may lead to lack of oxygen in the brain as well and may lead to dizziness and fatigue. Other causes of dizziness include ear/ balance or eye problem, blood pressure or even underlying medical conditions such as anemia. Inform your doctor about this for proper management.Take care and do keep us posted.