Sleep Disorders Community
Stuck in a dream-state

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Stuck in a dream-state

So i'm not really sure what you'd call it, sleepwalking or I call it being stuck I'm a dream-state. You see, I work at a live television station, and one job I do there is run the audio board and video tape for the live show. I love my job, and out of the other positions I do for the show, audio is the easiest. But I wake up at the night (often multiple times) with my eyes wide awake. I see my bedroom perfectly, but layered ontop of that, I also see the audio booth.  Faders O. My mattress and comforters, my television has an image of the live show on it, and I even heat the director calling out cues. I begin to push around my comforters and alarm clock to try and run the live show (much like I would do at work). Of course I panic when nousic or voices sound when I push the "faders" up and hear my director yelling to roll tape it open mics. I see.my room and half my brain is saying "you're in your room, this isn't real". And the other half says "you're at work, do what your director says". I spend hours sometimes a night wrestling with trying to wake myself up and convince myself its a dream so that I can go back to sleep. It's the weirdest thing, like I'm asleep but awake at the same time, and I'm getting sick of it. Please help? Has anyone else heard of something like this?
I dream about work and life issues every night, not both in the same night necessarily.  The difference, like yours I understand, is my dreams are all screwed up and I am having trouble carrying out my work, or life.

I have looked into the subject of Lucid Dreaming as a way to deal with dreams, but it seems you are already there, that is you know you are dreaming and you can take action from your conscious mind. Yet you have trouble taking control.  Try looking into some of the Lucid Dreaming strategies for taking control/learning from/enjoying an awake participation in your dreams.

I would want to also have some way to fully wake up.  One strategy I've used is to try to wake up by opening my eyes wide when I am in fact awake.  This conditioned my mind to do the same when I was in a similar situation (you the audio booth) but was dreaming.  In my case opening my eyes was enough to end the dreaming.

I read you have some body control, consider putting a wet hand towel in a pan or something to protect your night stand and when you are trying to wake up grab the towel and hold it to your face and see if that wakes you up.  There must be other things you can do that will improve you moving to a fully awake state, I guess that's what you want.