Sleep Disorders Community
Theophylline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Theophylline

has anyone tried theophylline?  
I have asthma and sleep apnea and have been having wheezing for 4 weeks now.  I think I will ask for a prescription for this.
it seems related chemically to coffee- is it safe?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
Theophylline is used to prevent and treat wheezing. It relaxes and opens air passages in the lungs, making it easier to breathe. It is used in the management of both the acute and chronic phases of reversible airway obstruction. However, it has a narrow therapeutic index. Concentrations of 10-20 mg/l are needed to produce bronchodilation with a minimum of side effects. Serum levels exceeding 20 mg/l are associated with an unacceptable incidence of adverse reactions. Theophylline levels above 35 mg/l increase the incidence of seizures and cardiac arrythmias. So, Discuss the options with your consulting doctor.
Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I read on wikipedia that this is an older drug but on medicine.net this is one of the few drugs that is listed as treatment for sleep apnea
are the newer drugs in the theopylline class able to treat sleep apnea?  thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

When a person sleeps the airways are usually patent allowing normal passage for air entry. The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. So, this is liable to collapse and cause airway obstruction in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. So, Theophylline, which relives bronchospasm is unlikely to be effective in treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have asthma so I probably have narrow airways which may be causing my 75% O2 at night on the sleep study.  Since theo has cardio side effects maybe I should try a newer medication?
On Dr. Park's site there are interviews with a neurologist who says on DTI MRI in people with sleep apnea you see many brain lesions of brain damage.  This neurologist went through 10 surgeries and wasn't cured of OSA and eventually had to have a tracheostomy to be cured (the machines didn't work for him).  
I'm going to have tonsilectomy and maybe UPPP