Sleep Disorders Community
Tongue Biting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Tongue Biting?

Has anyone ever bitten their tongue in their sleep - so hard that you woke up gasping for air, choking on your own blood, and called an ambulance because you thought 'this was it'?  That happened to me last weekend.  Just curious.  :)
Hi, welcome to the forum, tongue biting to this extent is quite rare and is usually associated with nightmares.

Nightmare disorder, or dream anxiety disorder, which is a sleep disorder characterized by frequent nightmares but seems unlikely in your case. Nightmare can be defined as type of a dream wherein the individuals will be left in a situation where it jeopardizes their life or personal safety, usually occur during the second half of the sleeping process, called the REM stage.

It can occur normally in persons. This sleep disorder can be managed by self by alleviating the home and personal life related stress particularly before going to bed.  A regular fitness routine, Yoga and meditation can also help to eliminate stress and create a more peaceful sleeping atmosphere and provides a relaxed state of mind. Take care and regards.
Thank you for your reply and information!

As follow-up news, I saw a new doctor and described the experience to him.  He concluded that I may have had a seizure in my sleep, and started me on new medication for high blood pressure, which has been working wonders for me on several levels.

But I like your emphasis on eliminating stress from my mind and in my environment - I've been working hard to do that, too!

Thank you, again...