Trouble sleeping......... HELP

For the two months I have had problems sleeping. It would start out where I wouldnt sleep at all for three nights in a row and then be able to sleep again with the help of tyelenol pm. Tyelenol pm then stopped working and I was still have trouble getting to sleep at all. The doctor prescribed ambien, it works off and on. I would take it and it would help me sleep but then sometimes it wouldnt work. Recently I couldnt sleep for three nights in a row and then ambien did not work for me. I will sleep from the ambien but then the next night I will have no sleep whatso ever. I found that even when I cut the ambien in half 5mg I am able to sleep sometimes. I want to know if anxiety can push you to the point of not sleeping at all and that I dont have sporadic fatal insomnia? Sometimes after I do sleep I have like a mind fog where it takes me atleast two hours for my mind to defog. Right now I am taking half of 5mg of ambien and it is working some nights for me to go to sleep. I have also become more nervous and agitated lately with panic attacks. I want to relax knowing that anxiety can cause this kind of insomnia and not some fatal disease.
I started having insomnia about three months ago. I found that after not sleeping well for a week I developed intense anxiety and panic attacks.  I have read allot abot anxiety. They say it goes hand in hand with depression.  Depression/anxiety/stress are the primary causes of insomnia.  I wish I could tell you what to do but I am still suffering from insomnia as well despite trying all kinds of sleeping pills.